Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a new member to the Boxer forum site although not a new Boxer Mom. We had a stray Boxer we took in 3 years ago and he was the best dog ever! Sadly we lost him at the end of April. I didn’t know if I could open my heart to love another dog but we now have an 8 week old pup that has helped to fill that void. This is my first experience with a puppy and I welcome any advice. I would especially like tips on training as I am finding a lot of conflicting information. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello! I am a new member to the Boxer forum site although not a new Boxer Mom. We had a stray Boxer we took in 3 years ago and he was the best dog ever! Sadly we lost him at the end of April. I didn’t know if I could open my heart to love another dog but we now have an 8 week old pup that has helped to fill that void. This is my first experience with a puppy and I welcome any advice. I would especially like tips on training as I am finding a lot of conflicting information. Thanks so much!
Sorry to hear about your loss, and congrats on your new puppy. We also lost a boxer girl last year that we found 10 years prior. Couldn't bring ourselves to getting a new baby right away but just added a brindle girl puppy to the family.

Spend alot of time reviewing the info on this site, but don't be surprised to find lots of conflicting info, especially when it comes to training but at least the info on this site is related to boxers.

We've trained 3 boxers and 2 mastiffs and adjustments had to be made for each. The latest baby girl is the least treat motivated dog we've had to make adjustments for rewarding during training.

We've found that the most important things for making our training successful are:
Be consistent with the style of training, and this must include everyone involved in the training.
Make it fun, make it short and do it often. At least 2-3 time per day for formal training but you are training whenever the pup awake.
Have LOTS of patience!! There will be good and not so good days.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your loss, and congrats on your new puppy. We also lost a boxer girl last year that we found 10 years prior. Couldn't bring ourselves to getting a new baby right away but just added a brindle girl puppy to the family.

Spend alot of time reviewing the info on this site, but don't be surprised to find lots of conflicting info, especially when it comes to training but at least the info on this site is related to boxers.

We've trained 3 boxers and 2 mastiffs and adjustments had to be made for each. The latest baby girl is the least treat motivated dog we've had to make adjustments for rewarding during training.

We've found that the most important things for making our training successful are:

Be consistent with the style of training, and this must include everyone involved in the training.

Make it fun, make it short and do it often. At least 2-3 time per day for formal training but you are training whenever the pup awake.

Have LOTS of patience!! There will be good and not so good days.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice and congrats on your new girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I am sorry for your loss but new puppies are fin and exhausting too. My number 1 priority is getting them housebroken and leash trained. I do this with the crate. I had a 42 inch midwest crate with a divider for when he was small as I he get I gave him more space until he took up the entire kennel. The first 2 weeks for me are exhausting as I'm taking them out 1/2 hour- hour then up to 1 1/2 hours. I feed on a schedule so I learn when they need to go. When they are being upevise and loose in the house I continue taking them out and if they start to potty immediately pick them up and take out to potty area. As they are learning this I teach them little thing like sit, no bite etc. Ams puppies they sleep a lot and when mine would start to get crazy, I'd again take out to potty and return to crate for a nap. Just a lot of repetition. By the time he was 2 he was trustworthy that he wouldn't eat my house or belongings. He was never in his crate for more than 4 hours if we were gone and of course longer at night. He is now the bet guy we have every had. Congratulations! You will have tons of fun training him, always finish on a good note, patience, practice, and persistence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sorry for your loss but new puppies are fin and exhausting too. My number 1 priority is getting them housebroken and leash trained. I do this with the crate. I had a 42 inch midwest crate with a divider for when he was small as I he get I gave him more space until he took up the entire kennel. The first 2 weeks for me are exhausting as I'm taking them out 1/2 hour- hour then up to 1 1/2 hours. I feed on a schedule so I learn when they need to go. When they are being upevise and loose in the house I continue taking them out and if they start to potty immediately pick them up and take out to potty area. As they are learning this I teach them little thing like sit, no bite etc. Ams puppies they sleep a lot and when mine would start to get crazy, I'd again take out to potty and return to crate for a nap. Just a lot of repetition. By the time he was 2 he was trustworthy that he wouldn't eat my house or belongings. He was never in his crate for more than 4 hours if we were gone and of course longer at night. He is now the bet guy we have every had. Congratulations! You will have tons of fun training him, always finish on a good note, patience, practice, and persistence.

Thank you so much! He’s been doing well on the potty training with only a few accidents (thankfully mostly on the kitchen floor and not the carpet ) He was 9 weeks old yesterday so we still have a way to go but I know we’ll get there. What suggestions do you have for leash training? He’s easy to control for now but I know that won’t last without training.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Thank you so much! He’s been doing well on the potty training with only a few accidents (thankfully mostly on the kitchen floor and not the carpet ) He was 9 weeks old yesterday so we still have a way to go but I know we’ll get there. What suggestions do you have for leash training? He’s easy to control for now but I know that won’t last without training.

Well I would start already leash training basically just having him on it. I always take mine out to potty on leash that way I always knew they went and where. With my latest dog (a standard poodle) I lured him by keeping a treat in my hand at my side, and I would treat him only when at my side. This did not work with my boxer as he was not food motivated. So I just kept him there, lots of stopping and turning to keep him at my side. Its also a good time to start teaching him to wait at the door when going out into yard. (I carried out at 9 weeks because I had to be fast and just place him on leash where I wanted him to potty) By doing that I can have my back door open and he will not run out and he is pretty reliable. I'm not a trainer but I've learned these little tricks over the years that help me. My poodle is much more energetic than my boxer but he is 8 months now and still learning. Also a good puppy class once he is inoculated, and not just 1 do two or 3 even. Its fun . Dogs require reminder training sessions thru their life, not like in the beginning but its good to go thru the motions. My boxer was over 2 when he became trustworthy that he could be loose without supervision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I would start already leash training basically just having him on it. I always take mine out to potty on leash that way I always knew they went and where. With my latest dog (a standard poodle) I lured him by keeping a treat in my hand at my side, and I would treat him only when at my side. This did not work with my boxer as he was not food motivated. So I just kept him there, lots of stopping and turning to keep him at my side. Its also a good time to start teaching him to wait at the door when going out into yard. (I carried out at 9 weeks because I had to be fast and just place him on leash where I wanted him to potty) By doing that I can have my back door open and he will not run out and he is pretty reliable. I'm not a trainer but I've learned these little tricks over the years that help me. My poodle is much more energetic than my boxer but he is 8 months now and still learning. Also a good puppy class once he is inoculated, and not just 1 do two or 3 even. Its fun . Dogs require reminder training sessions thru their life, not like in the beginning but its good to go thru the motions. My boxer was over 2 when he became trustworthy that he could be loose without supervision.

Great advice! Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts