Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 week old female coming home this Saturday. I have heard to start walking your pup from day one, but also heard that you should have it out until it is fully vaccinated. Any suggestions on when I can actually start taking her outside for walks and little adventures?

Also I really want to train my pup well, and am worried about housebreaking. I am definately crate training, any other suggestions, other than the usual treats, praise, keeping a schedule'?

Lastly, I am wondering how much of "treats" a puppy can handle? I have also made some homemade pup treats, consisting of pureed carrots, ground beef, chicken stock homemade, wheat germ, eggs and wheat flour. Does anyone have any advice on this idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Re: new puppy ok outside for walks? Housebreaking advice, tr

Don't know about the food thing -vets over here are 100% for the dry varieties. Royal Canin do a special food uniquely for boxers but you'll have to start with puppy stuff. I had to wet mine for the first month or so. You'll have to wait for a USA answer to that. As for housebreaking it's newspaper on the floor and lots of praise when they get it right and "no!" when they don't (but only when you catch them- not after). Placing the poopy newspapers in the garden in the spot you want your dog to go in worked for mine. Regular visits out in the garden on a lead (i have a big garden!) and taking him to the wooded areas where i wanted him to poop means he's got into the habit and never ever done the business on my lawn or my pathways so they're clear for play. Very practical. It took 2 months for him to be completely clean.
Wish i had some photos of mine that tiny - beautiful.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

oh the wonderful world of house breaking. I had a dandy of a time with Chloe. I eventually had to have her short leashed to me if she was out of her kennel becuase she would refuse to go poop outside. Sadly we had just broken her habit when she was taken. I agree with Caillou, and what you yourself have stated. Praise, treats and consistancy. If she constantly goes in one place, start with newspaper and slowly start the progression to oustide. As far as food is concerned. I personally used Blue Buffalo for my pup. It worked well with her, and if i get the boxer i am trying for i will place her on it as well. We started with Nutro Natural, but Chloe always seemed hungry-like she wasnt getting enough. Once we switched to Blue Buffalo she stopped acting that way. Alot of people on here also use the Royal canin, Canidae or even a raw diet from what i have read.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I am sorry to hear you lost her... that is horrible.. thank you for the advice..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

i'm sorry, i forget that we get so many new people and not everyone knew. let me clarify she did not pass away, but she was stolen from us. Which makes us feel just as if she did pass since she is no longer there. Thank you though.

·
Registered
977 Posts

I'm sorry too - that's a really cruel thing to happen. Really upsetting. Do you do microchips and tatoos? Is there no hope of finding her again?
I looked at the pictures and i can now see why a crate is necessary - more than one boxer can wreak havoc in a house! Voltaire doesn't sleep on the couches (unless he's lying out on top of one of us!) and isn't allowed in the bedrooms here! I must sound like a very strict Mom!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

we do have microchips here, she was scheduled for an appointment to get chipped the week she went missing. I am hoping that one day she finds her way back, but i feel that she was taken-not slipped out. We have no holes or loose fence boards (she was outside while i ran to the store). There is no way she could have escaped. Crates do make things so much easier!!  :lol:

·
Registered
977 Posts

Really sad. Here a lot of people let their dogs run loose in their gardens whilst they're at work, supposedly to guard the house. My neighbours who have two Rotts have built an enclosure of about 5m x 3m with a kennel and the dogs live out there all the time - never the house, and they get let loose a couple of times a day...which is when i hurry inside if i'm out! I don't see the point of having the dogs if it's for that!
I have heard of poisonings over here. You know - some nasty neighbour who doesn't like dogs. My father-in-law lost two German Shepherds - father and son - due to someone throwing a poisoned bone into his garden. It was a long and painful death, really awful apparently. The vet couldn't do much for them they only lived 3 days after the poisoning. I know most of my neighbours and i don't think they have a problem as Voltaire isn't a yapper and doesn't bother anybody. It's countryside and the gardens are big enough to keep a dog occupied sniffing about for ages - i don't even have fencing at the back and he could be tempted to go off running in fields so i never leave him out when i'm not in! We're planning on fence building before summer - it'd be best.

·
Registered
905 Posts

Just to touch on one of your questions that I don't think anyone has answered yet - definitely, definitely wait until your puppy is fully vaccinated before you take her out walking - she could very easily pick up an infection if you take her out before she is fully immunised.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Definitely keep any walks around your property until all her shots are done..If I remember right the rule of thumb, is 5 minutes of walking for every month of your pup's age...It's a good way to get her used to a collar and a lead, but just do any training on your property for now....You might want to look into puppy obedience classes also..Great socialization and a learning experience too  :)

As for the food, I'd introduce new things, slowly..As she is a puppy, her tummy is still pretty sensitive...I'd keep treats to a minimum, but I definitely prefer giving homemade also. I only feed my 2 doggie cookies that I have made or venision....Carrots are great, also green beans are good too...Try just a wee bit at a time in her food, keep an eye on her and see how she does with each food individually...

I commend you for doing a lot of research and wanting to do the best you can for your "little one".... :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

thank you all again for your support, and suggestions, this site is awesome. I will continue to use daily. I was definately worried about the walks and immunization of course, so I will keep it to a minimum. However, I am planning to be with my pup all the time, well as much as possible. I will be taking her to work with me, and I have a box about 6 feet by 3 feet and about 15" tall for her to play by my desk in. So I can watch her closely and hopefully speed the potty training up as well. I hope to have a really good companion in our new pup!

That is so horrible that someone would take your pup, I am definately microchipping, already been informed to do so, and considering what I paid for my pup, it is a must. We bought from a very reputable breeder here in California, with champion lines. Her Grandfather has won first in class over 80 times and her Great Grandfather in on the cover of that Boxer book you see at all the pet stores, and he was westminster champion for years, so we are hoping to have a great girl, and she is so cute!!

thanks again everyone...

·
Registered
977 Posts

Hello Hitechboxer, just wanted to ask if you intend to do your photo album on the site? I'll take the liberty of saying for everyone that we'd all love to see it...and you've already got some fabulous photos...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

whoops, that would probably bee much much easier,, I will do so! Thank you!

·
Registered
521 Posts

HITECHBOXER, i am a brand new mom, too!  beckham is 8 weeks!  

this site is really fantastic.  we can swap ideas for what works and what doesn't !  :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

hey sounds good, keep me posted, and I will do the same! How are things so far?? I cannot wait for our new pup to come home!!! so excited..

·
Registered
521 Posts

so far, things are great!

he had a little cold when we got him, but he is on meds now and is feeling MUCH more like his normal puppy self!  we just love him so much, and have been waiting YEARS for a boxer.

he is doing very well with the crate training.  he loves it, which is awesome because we want him to know its his den, not a form of punishment.  my girlfriend is allowed to bring him to work, and she said he is letting her know when he has to go out, and is sleeping and playing in his crate!

otherwise, we have actually been sleeping pretty well. we alternate taking hmi out. last night we went to bed at 10, let him out at 2, and again around 5:30.

he does cry a little when i put him back in his kennel (only in the mornings when i am getting ready, he is too tiny to let loose yet) but i walk away and ALWAYS let him calm down and stop crying before he comes out, so he knows crying for attention is not the answer.  he stops crying after about 10 seconds or so.

puppies are very smart!  i'm sure you must be SO EXCITED and i can't wait to see pictures!!

·
Registered
977 Posts

Don't say "whoops" - I didn't mean don't post them in the forums - carry on...it's just it's nice to be able to refer to the albums and find the photos when you lose track of which forum topic they were first posted in. I'll be able to click Hitechboxer and look at 'em all - especially if i (or someone else who's just as curious as me!) haven't been able to log in for a while to see how your little one is getting along!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts