Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
If the diarrhea and vomiting continues I would take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have parvo. Some people don't take the puppies out until they have had their shots.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats to your new addition...What's your little one's name?

Boxers are the best..They will make you cry, make you laugh and sometimes will make you feel like you are losing your mind.. :bsjoke: .Lol ..But I wouldn't ever be owned by any other breed...

The diaherea may not be nothing..Any time you change a dog's enviroment for whatever reason, it sometimes will take a bit for them to adjust...Boxers especially are highly senstive to change and with a puppy, even more so...Are you feeding the same food that he was? Any food changes can cause that also...

Whining at first is VERY normal..Are you crating him? Take a hot water bottle and fill it up and put it in his crate. Also you can use an old fashion wind up alarm clock, they like the ticking sound..I used to leave the radio on real low on a jazz station for mine....If you are crating him, don't fuss over him once he's in, leave him be..Eventually the whining will stop..Altho to you it seems like it never will..Believe me, it will get better...When we brought Buck home, it got soo bad, my ex went and got him out of the crate and took a blanket and they slept wrapped up together on the patip one nite...Your puppy is missing his family, so you have to become his family to him....

Until he's had all of his shots, I would keep him on your property..No walks..The rule of thumb is 5 mins for every month of age..He needs time for his bones to completely develop, so rigorous exercise needs to be kept to a minimum...Ig your yard is fenced, definitely let him have the freedom of running around in his own yard..I think Buck was close to a year before I started taking him on long walks...

Hope this was some help and definitely read thru our puppy section..We have a ton of new puppies on here and there is a lot of very good information in there.....Welcome to Boxer Forums......

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had a poodle that did that when we first got him. turns out that he had a parasite, it was so many years ago that I cant think of the name of it, but it made him really sick. We eventually had to take him to the emergency vet. He had to stay overnight and everything, and even after treatment he still threw up a little every once and a while for 3 days. I Dont mean to scare you, but it does sound familiar. I would take puppy to the vet if it continues. good luck Please let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The whining is usual.  He needs to get used to being away from momma/littermates.  I would watch him on the other part.  I don't think that is usual.  Is he eating and drinking normally?  

Do you crate him at night?  We used a sound machine on top of our crate and it helped a lot.  Give him an old dirty shirt to lay with too.  The smell of you will also help comfort him.

Hopefully he will settle in soon.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to boxer forums!  :)
Congrats on your new addition. Like was said before me, the diarreah and throwing up could be because of the new environment and stress about being away from mom and the rest of the litter. Since he just came home, I would call the breeder and see if anyone else has been having an issue with diarreah. It could be so many things, but maybe he was having diarreah while he was still with the breeder, or someone else has called with a health issue. It may warrant a vet visit. Better safe than sorry. That's my motto!
Again, welcome.

BTW....What's his name?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I forgot to tell you his name... hahah His name is Blue because he has one blue eye and one brown eye!  Thanks for all the info, we will keep an eye on everything.  I figured that the whining was normal, and I have gotten him a little radio to play while we aren't home.  Luckly, my fiance works close to where we live so he gets to spend time with him at lunch.  

Yes, we are crating him while we are away, and sleeping.  We have kept him on the exact same food as before, and really haven't changed anything expect his living environment.  So hopefully it's just the stress that's causing the throwing up and diarrhea.  I'll keep you posted!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
aww... nice flashy little boy!!!

ouch, puppy teeth are like razors, right!?? LOL!

My brothers dachshund Bubba (rip) had one blue and one brown eye too... So does my Uncle!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I forgot to mention it could be Coccidia.Our male had it once and he had runny stool.Maybe get blue into the vet and have it checked out..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just a little note, out new pup came home and after about 1-2 weeks started the diarreah and a little vomiting. I spent a fortune, parvo test, xray, blood work, on and on. Thankfully they found nothing. The did stool sample, nothing. They gave her Flagyl - antibiotic. We changer her diet to rice, cottage cheese, then days later added chicken breats. The diarreah turned yellow, and sometimes seemed bloody. It went on for 2 weeks or so.

Finally I thought maybe we ar efeeding her to much food! So I started feeding half of the amount - we started then feeding 1/2-3/4 cup 2 times a day. This was at about 9-10 weeks.

Within two days she was back to normal stool. No more diarreah, nothing. I really think in my case it was the amount of food we were feeding her. She was not digesting it because there was always too much! We now ar eon Canidae and she is doing great!

Beware of how much you are feeding!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I hope that your day today is going better and that you had a better night.  If that puppy is still throwing up today and has diaharrea get him to the vet soon, please!  A little puppy cannot take much of that or he will dehydrate and get hypoglycemic from lack of food.  

Nano

Please let us know what is going on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Taking him to the vet today!  The weekend started off good!  He wasn't throwing up and the stool was becoming firmer, but then last night he started with the throwing up and diarrhea again!  I figure instead of taking a chance he's going to the Vet.  Hopefully there is nothing wrong.  

I'm wondering if we might be over feeding him and he just can't digest the food.  We are feeding him 1/4 cup of food at 6:30am, 12:30pm, and 6:30pm.   He seems to be eating very fast and drinking very fast; he was in the a cage with his brothers and sisters and I am asuming that he had to fight for food and water, and he's afraid if he doesn't eat it all someone will take it.  I'm crossing my fingers hoping nothing is seriously wrong with him!!!

Thanks again for all the advice and support!!! :wink:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Let us know how Blue does at the vet today.....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ahh, I'm sorry to hear that he's not doing better. I really was hoping that...It's very possible that he may have had to fight for his food in a way and that could account for his eating to fast..He's afraid that he's going to miss his...But yes, it's a good thing to have the vet take a look..Keep us posted on what the vet says...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blue is doing great!  I took him to the vet yesterday and they said everything is fine. Before we left for the vet, I took him out and he had a solid stool!  It was like he was doing it to spit me, haha.  She said we should actually be feeding him more food, because he is so skiny and such an active dog.  He hasn't thrown up since Sunday night, and no diarrhea since Sunday night.  So thank God it wasn't anything major.  

He is adjusting to his new environment, and loves to play.  He has found his voice and loves to bark at Dave and I when we're playing with him.    :lol:

Does anyone has any advice on breaking him of the habit of biting?  When he plays he likes to bite our arms, toes, and legs.  Everytime he does try to bite I put a nylabone in his mouth instead, should we be doing something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo Hoo!! Blue is getting better! I am soo glad to hear that.. As for the biting, oh yea, that is very common in puppies and yes, giving him a "good chew toy" is very good. I found with Buck, who used to follow me and nip at my hands, what worked was a tap on the nose and saying "no bite" over and over again. Angel even does that and I use the same method  with her.
It's a way for your pup to get attention, so what really can work well is ignoring them, walk away, leave the room, etc...Read thru the puppy section and also training tips..Someone else was asking that question awhile back....I wish I could remember who, I'll see if I can find the thread for you

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Glad things are going well for you.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Happy to hear Blue is feeling better.  :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts