Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m getting a new boxer puppy, and this is my first boxer. I haven’t gotten her yet, she’ll be around 2-3 months when she gets here with papers and everything. I’m thinking of putting her on a raw diet, but I’m leaning more towards a “half” raw diet. I’ve researched a few things and I’m still not quite sure what a “half” raw diet is. I’ve looked at a lot of things about what I can and can’t feed her. So I decided to just post here and see if anyone has any advice? I’m open to it all pros and cons, opinions, facts, everything. But please state the difference 😭. I just want what will be best and healthiest for her. Thank you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of raw diets for puppies. Not because of the quality of the food but because it can hard to ensure the puppy is getting all the nutrients etc it needs. I would rather get a good quality grain free puppy food, then maybe consider moving to something else later in life.

We use a good quality kibble, but do add fresh cooked veg, chicken and fish etc.

Edit, sorry when I say grain free I mean wheat free.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you are going to go raw I would for sure do a lot of research on the subject there are some people on this site who believe in raw diets and maybe they can help you. Please do not feed grain free dog food either without doing a lot of research on the issue I lost two dogs using that I only wish I had known the risks before using it if I had I NEVER would have gotten it for my dogs. A good quality puppy food is usually available you should start with whatever the breeder is using changing the puppies food too quickly is a sure way to get stomach issues. A believe the half raw diet is when people add uncooked foods to the dogs meal some people do it I do not.

·
Super Moderator
7,084 Posts
I love raw 💕 and have been feeding it for the past 15 years. All our litters are weaned to raw as well.

Don’t do 1/2 and 1/2. If you are going to do raw, commit!

As a new raw feeder your best bet is to find a good quality premade raw.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I love raw 💕 and have been feeding it for the past 15 years. All our litters are weaned to raw as well.

Don’t do 1/2 and 1/2. If you are going to do raw, commit!

As a new raw feeder your best bet is to find a good quality premade raw.
Kari, curious as to why a lot of people say don't do 1/2 and 1/2. Is it because of over feeding? Dogs digestion? Only reason I ask is I do a sort of 1/2 & 1/2 and Zukes bowel movements are great and it seems to really work great for him. I didn't start him out that way though. Waited till he was about a year old

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I had heard the same thing about 1/2 and 1/2 it's not a good idea. Rocky luv'd raw chicken feet. But that was about as far as I went. Although I did feed him chicken ... but I'd boil it first. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi! I’m getting a new boxer puppy, and this is my first boxer. I haven’t gotten her yet, she’ll be around 2-3 months when she gets here with papers and everything. I’m thinking of putting her on a raw diet, but I’m leaning more towards a “half” raw diet. I’ve researched a few things and I’m still not quite sure what a “half” raw diet is. I’ve looked at a lot of things about what I can and can’t feed her. So I decided to just post here and see if anyone has any advice? I’m open to it all pros and cons, opinions, facts, everything. But please state the difference 😭. I just want what will be best and healthiest for her. Thank you!
I wouldn't myself , as the breed is susceptible to Pancreatitis, also you have the potability of bacteria like salmonella or E. coli Stay with a good puppy food or ask a Vet what he would recommend

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy! We have a 13 month old boxer we have been raw feeding since 8 weeks old. 80% raw meat, 10% raw organ, and 10% raw bone. We also have some vitamin supplements, and add broccoli, celery, apple, blueberry, bananas, and an occasional egg. From our research, one doesn't want to mix feeding raw with processed food. Raw goes thru the digestive track quickly, while processed takes time. Slowing down the raw digestion can cause bacteria build up. Raw is quite a commitment. Please do your research. We researched for a few months before converting our first boxer to raw. It cleared up all his allergy issues. Raw feeding can be time consuming. As an adult, a dog should eat 3% of it's body weight in raw food. Our growing boxer eats over 3 lbs per day which can be expensive!!! Cleaning up after raw food prep and feeding is very important to keep you well also. There are many benefits to raw feeding, but it can be time consuming and expensive. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts