Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new edition to our family, an 11 week old boxer male puppy from a breeder that I became familiar with last year. We had decided to add to our family but weren't sure about whether to go the rescue route or a work with a breeder. After weighing the factors of both against OUR personal situation we decided on a puppy. But I want to mention that there are wonderful rescues groups and dogs waiting so its always worth considering a rescue first.

So, our boy is named Dempsey. He came home on Valentine's Day. He is a brindle just like Serena. The introduction with him and Serena and our cat Abby went well. Abby observes but mostly ignores him. He has a more laid back personality than Serena did at that age but is mischievous too. We are crate training him and he is doing very well with going potty outside. We have a good routine now. Serena is very playful with him. She even shares her bed with him. He has his own but she herds him over to her bed then sits next to him on it and they play with toys together. Funny to see. We always supervise them when they are together, of course.

Which brings me to a question. I wanted to check in with members who have multiple boxers on something. Occasionally Dempsey becomes obnoxious when playing with Serena and ignores her 'enough' signals. We separate them if that happens because it's not fair to her. We have a small gated off area where we place Dempsey with some toys for a short period of time. Then out he comes and they are fine again.

What do you think about this approach as time out behavior?

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have 3, but they are all adults (9,7,5). IMO there is value in letting the older dog discipline the younger one-within reason of course. They have their own language after all, and try as we might, don't always "get it".

·
Registered
812 Posts
That being said, I'm sure 'time-out' is fine too. Congrats on your new pup, he is adorable!

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Congrats on your new family member - Dempsey's adorable :)

When we got Mongo he didn't really have any bite inhibition and Maggie was not correcting him. She was always covered in scabs from him, so we did have to step in and correct him ourselves.

:)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Tyson lets Echo know he has had enough with a nip to the face. Usually he can get her to stop with a loud and vicious growl and no bite but when she is being extra annoying he nips her. No fights break out since she stops right away. But he may just be a no nonsense dog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a resident Alpha Female she is 11 yrs old. I too got a new boxer male on valentines day ( just coincidence ). I would never seperate them in play time even if you feel it is " enough ". they need to feel each other out. My female has snapped at the puppy several times letting him know whos boss and where to draw the line. I never allowed either of my dogs to stand above my head either. (Dominance thing)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
New babies are always special. Congrats!! With my two, Brutus is a saint with Arabella.... He has scabs all over his neck from her biting him.....He is still a baby himself only 10 months old now.....he shares everything with her. He has the energy to keep up with the new baby.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on your new family member - Dempsey's adorable :)

When we got Mongo he didn't really have any bite inhibition and Maggie was not correcting him. She was always covered in scabs from him, so we did have to step in and correct him ourselves.

:)
Thank you, he's a big sweetheart. He doesn't seem to be nipping at her, when he gets overexcited with play he keeps jumping on her. Overall they are doing exceptionally well together.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tyson lets Echo know he has had enough with a nip to the face. Usually he can get her to stop with a loud and vicious growl and no bite but when she is being extra annoying he nips her. No fights break out since she stops right away. But he may just be a no nonsense dog.
They haven't fought, I just want to be sure that he respects her signals. She's really tolerant, though.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New babies are always special. Congrats!! With my two, Brutus is a saint with Arabella.... He has scabs all over his neck from her biting him.....He is still a baby himself only 10 months old now.....he shares everything with her. He has the energy to keep up with the new baby.
Thank you. Serena is just 1.5 years old so she has plenty of energy to keep up with Dempsey. He doesn't seem to be a nipper, he method of play is pouncing, jumping and boxing with his paws.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Mine are only 5 months apart so it was quite a bit different, but when I felt things were getting out of hand I just stopped their play so things could calm down for a minute. I never separated them and they worked out their signals. But, again, a big difference because mine were both pups, Dodger was 9 months when we got Daisy at 4 months old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mine are only 5 months apart so it was quite a bit different, but when I felt things were getting out of hand I just stopped their play so things could calm down for a minute. I never separated them and they worked out their signals. But, again, a big difference because mine were both pups, Dodger was 9 months when we got Daisy at 4 months old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I do this too!! This is a good time to work on the "leave it" command with the new pup as well. Good distraction and teaching at the same time!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts