Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to forum and has purchased my first boxer puppy. Her name is Priscilla, 8 weeks old, and only weighs 8 lbs and 4 ounces. We had to get her early because mother had quit nursing at 3-4 weeks (her first litter, too) and there was an outbreak of hookworm so we took her at 5 weeks.
I am 61 and an elementary teacher in Ky. I have a half lab-half boxer female that is 8 years old.
Joined forum to learn more about boxers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Too cold out and worry about housebreaking

My puppy is very small. It has been single digits here almost from time we brought her home. I have a playpen and working on crate training. We have used puppy pads in playpen for now and crate is few hours at a time. She was only 5 weeks old and even with a sweater trying to take her out she chilled and took forever to warm her up so that is why I resorted to pads. I clean the pen with warm sudsy water, little white vinegar and baking soda on the tarp we laid down in it. Am I making a huge mistake or will housebreaking just be delayed until warmer weather?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi !! Do you have any pics?? Congrats on your new pup :)

I think house training should be fine after the puppy pads - he's still VERY young. I rescued my Boxer Max at 1.5 years old and he was completely not house trained. Not at all. He thought the house was the yard :(

But after about 30 days of crate training, regular food routines (with pumpkin added:), and regular opportunities to go outdoors, he was (and is) fully house trained. So even an old dog can learn new tricks ! And I know what you mean, my Max goes outside to do his business and comes right back in and I live in WA. It's just rainy and chilly but he does not like it!

Don't stress too much - I would do the exact same thing you are doing. Boxers are very smart and he will get it when it's warmer for you both!

·
Registered
13 Posts
why are you crating for a few hours at a time?
I mean it sounds like you have her in playpen and then move to crate for a few hours and back again. what am I missing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts