Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought home the new pup today he is a male brindle, named moose. My question is Sahsa are 1yr old boxer is kinda weary of him is this normal? Also Sasha is grawling at him from time to time when he starts to close to her. Should we seperate them are let them sort it out? She snapped at him once while she was playing with a toy and he tried to grap it. Moose is only 7 weeks and runs and hides when she shows aggression.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sounds like she is trying to let your pup know what the"pecking order" is in the household.just a guess though

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
More than likely it is because there is a new "thing" running around her space and she isnt used to that. She is showing the pup that she is top dog, and he comes second...but that needs to be established and the sooner the better...IMO. Savannah did the same with Reese when she came home.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with all the above. If it came down to not getting it to stop or even if it gets worse then I would consider separating them. But hopefully time will do the trick.
Samantha

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy.  I love the name!  We almost adopted a pit once that was named Goose! :lol:   So cute.

Sounds like Sasha is trying to tell the little guy that she's in charge.  So long as she doesn't actually hurt him, they should be fine.

Good luck with them and pics please. :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh yes, the pecking order war is being fought.....Lol, that's pretty normal. Always with a new addition you should keep a close eye, read the body language(check out the Sticky topic regarding this)..Boxers are vocal, they talk a lot. Don't think that is a sign of aggression, more just communicating....Samson even now gets tired of Angel's antics and if he has had enuf, he'll give her a bit of a growl, then turn and walk away...Good luck, keep us posted and pics would be nice  :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
All I can tell you is about the time I brought an 8 week old Afghan puppy home to my crew of 3 adults.  Allie, my sweetest and most loving girl whom I thought loved all dogs for some reason got put out with the puppy - snapped once and broke his jaw.  The puppy became known as B.J. (broken jaw) and recovered in due time.  But a word to the wise - if Sahsa is showing agression it would be wise to supervise them at all times until they warm up to each other.  Oh yeah, B.J. and Allie lived out their lives very happily together, but for some unknown reason she didn't like him that one fateful day.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Would love to see pics!

I think it's pretty normal... though I would be making sure too that Sasha would get corrected for treating the puppy that way. The one in charge is you... not her... and if you say it's okay for the new puppy to be there thats all it should take. Of course... yes I agree that she's not use to a little puppy running around in her territory so her reaction is understandable and normal BUT really it's YOURS not HERS. So long as she's not hurting him I don't think you should need to seperate them. I think too sometimes that can be bad because then the one gets their way instead of learning to co-exist.

Good luck! Hopefully it will all blow over pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Congrats on the new pup!  He's very cute.....great last pic of the both of them!  Sorry, no advice here as I only have one crazy boxer!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
They are so cute together (Moose is adorable), I just love the way they sleep on their backs.

·
Registered
933 Posts
OMG!  Moose is just adorable!  Sasha is a cutie too.  I have 2 boxers.  Mo was here first and when I brought Niko home Mo wasn't so sure of him.  She would growl at him if she was sitting next to me and he came near.  She would growl at him at feeding time...and they have their own bowls.  I'm sure she was just letting him know who the boss is.  After a few days it got better and within the next few weeks she was laying next to him on the couch.  Now she loves him....but every now and then she still lets him know that she's the boss.  LOL

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
OMG, he is adorable!! I love him in his sweater..What a little sweetie.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts