Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought home a new boxer rescue and when she and my male start playing she bites his legs.  Now you can tell it isn't hard, aggressive biting, but it is leaving his skin very red.  What should I do?  The kennel sent her home with a pinch collar and it definitely gets her attention when I pull her lead.  Do I just keep saying no and pulling it until it finally sinks in??   HELP!!  :(

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
8O mine still do that at 6 1/2 haha

i think she just needs to learn to be gentle thats all...is your male letting her know it hurts? or is he not noticing it hurts? if not id say let them play and maybe keep reminding her to play nice

boxers play rough...and loud..lol...they usually warn eachother when its tough rough :)

hope that helps...ask away if it doesnt and WELCOME to the forum :D

have we seen pics? we LOVE pics of course

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I hve a new rescue that has been here a week; he and Kiah bite each others legs, haven't noticed noticed any red marks on either yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.  Funny thing is that my male, who is getting bit is not really voicing any complaints.  It is more me!!  LOL, I just feel bad for him since I brought her here.  Once I get some pictures of her, I will post them both.  Thanks again I am glad to know this isn't unusual.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
if hes not complaining i think its just typical boxer play...i wouldnt worry..and my Isis is white so i see her legs get red too when they play hard..no blood jsut red...always goes away :D

G

·
0 Posts
my younger female likes to bite my older male's legs all the time, I think it's just regular boxer play.  If it hurts your male, I'm sure he'll let her know.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Couple of things...is your rescue the younger of the pair? If so..all above have it right..she is just playing...maybe testing the grounds for what she can get away with. ( Awwww heck..I think they all test regardless of age, but younger dogs seem to go at it till they get their correction form the other dog )
Secondly, Ashley and her boxer friend played a few days ago, and when he had enough..he pinned her for a split second..showed his teeth, and did this little growl that lasted for maybe a half second. My neighbor ( he is her first Boxer ) was REALLY scared that her boy was going to hurt Ashley..I tried to explain to her, corrections are needed, and human intervention is to be discouraged ( of course with the exception of a full blown FIGHT..but you will never mistake THAT for anything than what it is...) Yes..they are loud, they sound like they are a full pack of wild animals going at it..but its all in play for these babies....he will let her know when enough is enough...just don't get yourself stuck in the middle!! OUCH body slam by two oncoming boxers will not be fun..and your skin may tear alot easier in the case they are showing teeth :p )
Good luck..they will sort it out soon!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm pretty sure "existing boxer" will tell "rescue boxer" (sorry, don't know thier names!) when he's had enough. If you suspect bullying intervene & redirect their attention to something else.  Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your responses.  To update, George (existing boxer) put the new boxer (Belle) on her back this morning and pretty much told her enough was enough.  The funny thing is a few hours later she was right back to nipping at him again.   :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh yea, them girls are a feisty bunch, let me tell you....Buck was 1 1/2 when we brought Tia home at 9 mos and that was one of her favorite things to do, that and grabbing the ears! He tolerated it, and when he got tired of it, did the same thing, got her down and stood over her...Then 20 minutes later, they were back at it....Life with Boxers, it kinda goes that way :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie has always bit Maggies legs since I got her

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot everyone for your feedback.  Unfortunately the antics have elevated to full force fighting, but that is another post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts