Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm hoping to get some advice. We have a 15 mo old neutered male and rehomed a 1-1/2 yr old neutered male this weekend. He has a very good demeanor, he's laid back yet still playful, looks for direction from us and overall a great dog. He has taken on the Alpha role with our boxer.

It mostly seems to be going well, but it’s only been 3 days. We have had slight aggression from the rescue to bones and ice (we give our dogs ice as a treat when it’s hot) but not much aggression towards anything else. The rescue seems to be the pack leader as mine just wants to play. Mine has very high energy and they rescue is quite laid back. However when they are playing, the rescue nips and pulls at my dogs cheeks and jowls to the point where his fur is removed and there is blood similar to a scrape. While I’m familiar with boxer play (we’ve had several boxers over the years), I’ve not experienced them constantly doing this to the point fur is missing and blood is drawn. I’m not sure if we should continue to allow this type of playing or only allow them to play without nipping. Hoping you can give us some guidance as the rescue seems to be a great dog that we’d love to have in our family but I don’t want to make mistakes early on that may prevent a good integration.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congrats on picking up a rescue!
First, I wouldn't let the rescue have free run in the house.... at least no yet.
For the first 3 week I would have him crated in a common area so he can see the "workings" of your family.
I would also only allow short supervised play. No play on the house. Only outside and for very short periods. Anything your not comfortable with (play wise) stop.
Be consistent and they will figure out, rather quickly, what it appropriate and what isn't.
The best thing you can do is structure, structure, structure.
If your rescue isn't working with you ( training, walking, etc..) then have him in the crate.
A new rescue with run of the house and few rules will more then likely become a problem.
Also, think of it this way.
You won't see the true dog for 2-4 week. Right now is what I would consider the "honeymoon phase"..lol
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Yes what bte said. And if I recall Bte does a lot of rescue work.
bte2 is a "Pro" and he has worked with more dogs than I will ever "see!" :)

But I have learned a lot from a "handful" of my personnel dogs. And I share what I've learned, so others "don't have to make the same mistakes I did. :)

I likes to "keep it real" for people, you have to know where you are, in order to get to where you need/want to be?? And I like to "Keep it simple!"

You can't force a dog into "compliance??" Well I suppose you could but you'd not have much in the way of a "Bond" with your dog by doing that???

Well enough preamble ... so here we go!:)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yes Chip..I agree, bte2 has great advise and having had a few rescue dogs myself over the years I agree. There is always that honeymoon phase and the dog must first learn this is their new home and these are the rules. It come comes around in the end.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Congrats on the rescue!
I agree, good advice above.
As for the question about having hair missing or bleeding from playing, we have never seen it as described.
Our boys may get a spot where they were accidentally clawed a little too hard that broke the skin, but no bite injuries.
When we integrated our puppy with our older boys (they were about 3.5 years old and the puppy about 8 weeks) it was probably 2 months or more before we let them play w/o supervision and our input if there was something that didn't sound or look OK to us. They got into a groove quickly and they play 'boxer rough' well together.

I understand with the rescue you don't know their history, but with time and structure you should be able to work things out.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Well I seemed to have "failed" to post my original continuation?? But whatever I'll try again. First thing is this dog's behaviour is not on you?? Getting him to get a "grip" on his "impulse control" as it were "was" on his original owners! And most likely they "screwed up" and just said ... screw this and off you go!

And you come along and "scoop him" at most likely the most difficult age possible?? If you have a puppy ... you lay the foundation of how he will behave in the 8 week to one year range! If you get at "most things right" your puppy will sail thru the "two year" mark without much of a "hiccup??"

But if you "mess" something up from the beginning, the year two mark is where you will see the issues?? Hormones kick in as the puppy reaches maturity and it becomes ... "I Don't wanna, I don't have to!" Most likely the original owners screwed up in the beginning and just said "screw this and dumped him??" I don't know that to be the case but that is what it seems like?? And then comes you!

It does sound like ... there is "nothing wrong with this dog??" But he has no "impulse control and he is pretty much overwhelming your first dog that understands "rules of acceptable behaviour??"

In my "opinion" that is where you are and why you are seeing what you see?? Well ... that's fine it is what it is. But he is yours now and he needs to learn by the "Rulz's." So ... here I go again as it were. The new dog is a tool! He did not "just fit in??"Nw you know! You could just say ... "well this not work, call it day and send him back, to where he came from??" No harm no foul as it were. But ... hey I'm not one that tends to advocate ... the easy way out??? So, OK what I expected s not really working out?? So you know what can I do now?? "bte 2" has already "alluded to it??" And that "seems" to be what "Pro's" do?? But I'm not a "Pro" and I like to "Spell it out!"

And that said ... I would suggest that "you did not what "pro's" that deal with different dogs' day in and day out do?? I know when I got my first ever "WL GSD" I did not! And for quite awhile ... that was a butting kicking experience! But unlike you ... and in my defence, it was seven months before I fully I follow understood ... I had a problem here??? And a "side note" formal obedience training, will not solve "Behavioural Issues1' if it did ... I would not be here today. :)

So what bte 2 said that uh ... no one does is gonna be pretty much the first link in this thread.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

That right there what "no one does??" And if one does not ... your home is just nothing kennel ... four walls, different people just another kennel?? There is no "bond" I'm here now ... I'll be someplace tomorrow ... no big deal! And right now you're new to you pup, that is where he is in his head?? No rules, No Structures, No Limitations?? I will do what I do cause no one has "taught me e otherwise???

People just "glaze over that?" (I just got a rescue what do I do) I know I did. And it was a "Painful" mistake!!" But you know , I made it work, with a lot of after the fact effort! But hey some people "need" to learn stuff the "hard way!" But you don't have to! :)

You have already done great as you "observed" the new dog old dog relationship and already realized ... I have an issue here??? If the new guy does not want to play nice ... then he does not need to play at all! If you can't stop him with a "NO?" Then he has no "respect" for you as his leader??? IE ... your not the Boss of me??? That needs to change and what you "need" is "Control!"

The dog does "nothing" without your say so! And dogs "Free Roaming in the home" is where it starts! All problems tend to start at home and how the dog lives day in and day out with there owner!

And by and large dogs free roaming in the home in where it starts! Or as I am want to say ... "You can't control a dog ...if you don't know where they are???" Show me a case of "Dogs Fighting in a household?? And I point out that the "problem dog was allowed to "Free Roam" ... it happens all the time! No rules, no structure, no limitations!

If you want to have "issues" doing that is all it takes! Been there done that ... it did not work out so well for me. :cry_baby:

I'll post this link, since there is no point in "restating, what I have already said ... https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/8006017-post7.html

And that info/take is pretty much straight from "Cesar Millan!" I did not fully understand it at the time ... but he was right!

You have seen "issues" early on, and that is a break as "now you know!" And if you take "appropriate steps" now ... you can still make this work!

As a general rule "Boxer " folks folk tend to be kinda laid back?? If your background is mostly Boxers , you tend to be kinda slow to react??? Been there done that ...it did not work out do well? But you know already have your heads up! So you know ...take your new dog at his word and start to make some changes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts