Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in my welcome post, we have recently encountered some scarey behavior issues.  Doodle is almost 3 yrs old, spayed female.  She has ALWAYS been the most loving of our crew and no problems other than sepearation anxiety that has been pretty well controlled the last year or so.  We have 4 yorkies and she has always appeared to love them, even laying on her back so they can climb around on her.  1 of the yorkies has a toy fetish and is likely to steal toys from Doodle whenever the opportunity arises.  Well, for some reason, last night Doodle appeared to warn the female yorkie which created a very scarey situation.  The male and female then went after Doodle who had to be restrained and put outside as she then turned on the yorkies.  
I can't describe how terrible the encounter was and am trying to find any info to prevent this from happening again.
The only changes have been that I have been out of town quite a bit and she is somewhat attached to me.

I have been told that I shouldn't be allowing Doodle to be a lap dog-could it be a dominance thing at this age?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmm... My Summer is a lap dog and she doesnt have any problems with aggression towards my younger Molly. I dont know what it could be, I hope someone here can help you.

G

·
0 Posts
The lap dog thing is not an issue...they are big lap puppies, lol...I think that you need to nip the warning as a result of toys in the bud...tell her no, take the toy away...etc...it sounds like Doodle did not actively attack the yorkies first, rather they attacked her?   A lot of dogs will fight back if another dog starts in on them...sounds like your yorkies are kinda possibly doing a pack mentality thing or something? I could be wrong, I am not a dog trainer or anything...but don't blame it all on Doodle just because she is big.those little dogs can cause a lot of problems and be instigators too, lol

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would contact a trainer or behaviorist in your area to see if they can help.  Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the dominence thing regarding sitting in your lap, she just wants love, Boxers are just big cuddle bunnies....It very well could be that all of them are reacting to your being gone and acting out, but it's something that needs to be corrected...Sounds like the Yorkies ganged up on her if I am understanding right? So the correction needs to start there. Yes, Doodle is bigger and could hurt them, but the Yorkies also need to understand what's right and wrong....A behaviorist wouldn't be a bad idea tho

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My daughter and I have been discussing obedience training, more for the yorkies-specifically Lola.  We just have to get our schedules worked out.  My family thinks I am overreacting as Doodle and Lola have been best buds and today were back to their normal thing....doodle having to chew on Lola's neck....that is a scarey sight!  But Lola begs for it and Doodle does love her to death.  
However, when I got home  you could tell they sense my being nervous and basically just laid around.  It is just something that totally caught me off guard.  I think me being gone so much may have played a part in this....Doodle did eat a whole chicken and my expense check off the kitchen counter-totally unlike her.  I guess I need to stay home more.
Thanks for all the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts