Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have finally decided that we will be getting Blue a new little sister.  We are trying to decided what kind of sister to get him.  Since we live in a small ranch, we were thinking that maybe two boxers wouldn't be the best idea in the house, although we do have a pretty big back yard.  We have been looking at the local animal shelters and in the news paper for local breeders.  But I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on which breeds do well with Boxers.  Blue is a friendly guy, sometimes too friendly with other dogs and has a tendency to scare very small dogs. So we know that's not an option.  I was thinking something like a French Bulldog, or around that size.  We have also found a couple of boxer mix females at a local humane society.  I was just hoping to get some feed back about what everyone here thinks.  Since this is our first boxer, sometimes we need a little help deciding what's best for him since he isn't like any dog either of us have ever had.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have had labs, pugs, beagles, bassett hounds growing up and as an adult--Loved evryone of them but since I got Tyson my boxer I couldn't even imagine owning anything but a boxer.  Owning 2 or more boxers does have its advantages.  Good luck in making your decision.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
I personally have found that 2 boxers are fine in our little 750ish square foot home...they are crated...and we let them out to play often...in our backyard and at the park next door...they seem happy and there is not better playmate for a boxer than another boxer...a  lot of dogs have trouble keeping up and tolertating the way boxers play

·
Registered
942 Posts
we had a lab before we had Kaci and the Lab (Duke) and Milo played VERY well together. The only thing is like aquagirl said, sometimes it's hard for other dogs to tolerate and understand the way boxers play...but then again if you get a puppy they'll grow up knowing they way Blue is and it will be more easily acceptable for the new puppy.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
first let me say i wouldnt look at the newspapers for breeders. Reputable breeders wont put adds in the paper, usually hobby breeder or bybs advertise in the paper.  as for the type of dog, if you arent sure about another boxer any breed that has a high energy would be great friends. Boxers are soooo friendly :) best of luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I was just going to say the same thing about newspapers.  That is the method BYB use for advertising, whereas reputable breeders do not need to advertise, all their pups go to homes through word of mouth and are probably wait-listed.
On the other hand- searching at shelters and rescue groups is definitely the way I would go.  Even if you want a purebred puppy you can find one if you are patient.  I adopted Felix at 3 months old.  I feel like we have plenty of room in our 2 bedroom apartment with my SO and I and two boxers.  (ITs the aquariums that crowd things!)
I have noticed that lots of people with boxers also have boston terriers, they are a high energy breed as well and seem to get along well.  Mutts are great too though, just look for something with energy to match a boxer (most will seem super hyper b/c they are kenneled all day though).  Felix loves playing with huskies, goldens, labs, and other boxers the most at the dog park.  Do you have a dog park? Maybe seeing what he clicks with there will give you an idea of what to look for in a sister.
Happy hunting!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I paln to get another boxer as a companion for Kiah.  I know in our boxer meetup group several people had two boxers and a pug.  Kiah's has golden and springer spaniel cousins that she gets along great with.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i think what goodgirl suggested is a great idea!take him to the dog park to help you (and him) figure out what other kind of dog he would match best with.! good luck!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Love the dog park idea :D Seems like awhile back there was a post on Boston Terriers being good companions for boxers, same attitudes and ways of playing, if you're looking for a smaller dog maybe one of those would be a good fit?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, we know that he doesn't get along well with Labs.  There is always this black lab at the dog park we take him to and they don't seem to get along.  We went looking at the local humane society and animal shelter, and were told by most of the workers to stick with a Boxer or a Boxer mix, because they will have the same energy.  We havn't picked anything out yet, we are just in the beginning stages of looking!  We are hoping that by middle of Feburary beginning of March to have a new companion for Blue.  Thanks for the advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts