Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my family and I are new to the boxer breed. Have always had big dogs, most recently Saint Bernards the last one we had to put down at 7 years old because of bloat and his uncle 7 years earlier from cancer. The wife said she can't bear having to say goodbye every 7 years and so we opened up to a different breed. A friend reached out to us and said he knew of a boxer that needed a new home and we jumped on the chance to have a dog back in our lives.

We got a girl that was originally from a rescue and her new house had her 4 months before having to give her up because she was not getting along with the wifes chihuahua.

So 4 months after we get her we decided we needed another so she could have a playmate.

So I have a couple behavior concerns and I will ask about those in another post. The newest boxer we call buster and they guessed his age to be around 4 years but we think he's younger just because he's so damn goofy. He was fixed right before we got him and she was fixed about a year ago. ( she is estimated to be 4 as well) she has started to hump him quite often, we have cameras and can look in on them while away from the house. I gotta admit it looks funny as hell when I get a notification on my phone that motion was picked up by the c cameras and then when I look I see her going to town. Any idea why she's doing this I assume it's a dominance thing but sometimes if they're rough housing while we're around she will cower a bit and hide.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
If she cowers and hides??? That speaks to some kind of underlying issues??? You've already made a mistake ... you don't get a pet for your pet and a good rule of thumb is to "Always have one well trained without "Behavioral Issues" before adding a second dog. But whatever ... people do stuff. And what's done is done.

I guess it goes without saying that the dogs are free roaming in the home?? That could be a problem?? But more important how are they on walks?? And trust me on this ... you "need" to walk them separately and then together a several times a week for ... awhile.

Beyond that and while the info is not specific to your situation ... have a look here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/welcome-boxer-forums/203290-very-strong-desire-learn-how-teach-my-boxer-girl-not-attack-my-pom-girl.html

Your situation is a bit different but the "basics are still the same. Welcome Aboard and ask questions.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome. Do you have photos? (If they are in a different post I missed them)

The goofy could be more of a personality thing than age- from our experience.
If you've read some of the threads on here I'm sure you've seen that female boxers tend to be - or want to be- the alpha. I'd say it is a dominance behavior that she is exhibiting.

Cowering when people are there would make me think she was punished before by humans when she played/ exhibited certain behaviors. I'm by no means an expert, but this is how I would see it based on your data above.

Our boys play rough at times, we have a couple that will 'talk' to each other when they want the other to play, or while they play. It can sound aggressive or rough to people not familiar with boxer play. There is a definite difference between play sounds and actual growl/ leave me alone sounds.

Chip18 has a lot of good training advice. If you search the various threads on here you'll find a lot good information from him and other boxer owners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts