Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Looking for any advice, have a 16 month old boxer puppy. Up to date on shots, weighs 21lbs
-Won’t walk, acts like she’s is pain. Is still eating / going the bathroom has to be carried though.
- Took her vet, he took X-rays, said her front left leg above her wrist was swollen, was not broken, but might be infected. Did have 104 fever.
- He prescribed Novox, for inflammation and Clavamox for infection
- 1 1/2 days later she still will not hardly use her legs except to stand to eat drink, and go the bathroom.
- Poop has been solid

Any ideas?

If she shows no signs of improvement by tommorow I will be taking her back to the vet.

Thanks for any help

Terry

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Well this sucks but since you have her under vet care … it's most likely just a matter of time till she is willing to put more weight on her leg?? Most likely it would be a PIA?? But I would try and put an ice pack on her leg several times a day if you are home with her???

It's just gonna take time to heal in any case. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
whew thanks for the clarification on age..I was going to say....I have no medical background so not much help. I'd call the vet and let them know your not seeing any improvement and did they offer any information on what could case this type of infection? Maybe an injury that led to it getting infected? I'd want to see improvement though I would also want to keep her quiet while it heals (if its an injury). Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took her back to the vet this morning, 104.5 temp, weighed 24.5lbs, lungs and heart sound good...full body X-rays everything looks good, said good reflex’s and alert just don’t want to put pressure on her legs like they hurt....says some dogs just have severe growing pains, gave me Tramadol to give her for pain. Since I have given to her all she has done is sleep. He says to call again Saturday if we don’t see any improvement. Been feeding her royal canin puppy food, said to switch her to adult food to slow down her protein, fat and calcium intake until she is more active.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My boxer too was brought up on royal cain, we switched to adult food at 5 months for same reason to slow down the growth. It is better that puppies grow more slowly, once mature they still turn out basically to be the same dog regardless of how much they weighed a pups. My vet also now recommends not spaying/neutering until at least 12-18 months, if you can keep them safe from other dogs. Remember when switching food to do it slowly. 25 new/75 old, week 1 week 2 50/50. etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vet, ended up switching her to Baytril antibiotic.....and after 2 more days she finally started sitting up...after two more days was walking....now finally she is back to light running.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts