Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK . I also am wondering what type of bed to use in the crate early on. I don't want the puppy to eat it. I am thinking the puppy the 1st week will spend a lot of time in its crate just adjusting and letting the other dogs & cats get to know him. My plan is to then gate off the kitchen and while I am there give him more freedom. I also understand we should take him for walks until he has completed his shots. We do want him to be social with people so how do we go about socializing him at this young age. We plan also to take him for some obedience training, after his shots are complete. We have gone thru training before so we pretty much know what to do but I think it is good for the social aspect. What type of collar do you use? I think just a small nylon soft collar and a light lead would be good to get him adjusted and walk him in our backyard to potty. I trained our cairn to potty in one area of the yard when on leash. She still does that today and is very well housebroken. We had a hard time finding her good chew toys because she has a very hard chew. Besides kongs any suggestions on toys? Well thank you all for any suggestions on how we will train this dog to be a "great dog" and a good member of our home and community. Although I have had large dogs, it was years ago. I always wanted a boxer myself so this will be fun for me too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK . I also am wondering what type of bed to use in the crate early on. I don't want the puppy to eat it. I am thinking the puppy the 1st week will spend a lot of time in its crate just adjusting and letting the other dogs & cats get to know him. My plan is to then gate off the kitchen and while I am there give him more freedom. I also understand we should take him for walks until he has completed his shots. We do want him to be social with people so how do we go about socializing him at this young age. We plan also to take him for some obedience training, after his shots are complete. We have gone thru training before so we pretty much know what to do but I think it is good for the social aspect. What type of collar do you use? I think just a small nylon soft collar and a light lead would be good to get him adjusted and walk him in our backyard to potty. I trained our cairn to potty in one area of the yard when on leash. She still does that today and is very well housebroken. We had a hard time finding her good chew toys because she has a very hard chew. Besides kongs any suggestions on toys? Well thank you all for any suggestions on how we will train this dog to be a "great dog" and a good member of our home and community. Although I have had large dogs, it was years ago. I always wanted a boxer myself so this will be fun for me too.
I would wait on the bed until potty training is complete, there will be accidents.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
There won't necessarily be accidents. Wyatt never went potty in his crate. I made him a fleece tie blanket and folded that up to fit the crate area. We partitioned it so it was small and got bigger as he grew. Wyatt now has an animal planet crate pad in his crate. I'll be moving this summer and we will get him a really nice big soft expensive bed....(I've been dreading paying $200+ for a good bed)!

A small collar and thin leash is good for now. Anything to heavy/hefty will be too much for them. Remember to remove their collar before crating, I've read many devastating stories about animals choking themselves to death bc their collar got tangled in their crate.

JW makes really good sturdy toys as well as kong. I would highly suggest getting a jolly ball, lots of fun for you and pup!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I bought some hospital grade bed pads on-line that are washable and absorb a lot of liquid so that our puppy didn't sleep on the hard plastic liner, the litter was used to this sort of thing along with a soft bed at the breeders house. I folded it in half when the kennel was partitioned off when she was tiny. I think there may have been one accident maybe 2 at night in the kennel, I did have to get up in the middle of the night with her for a couple of weeks. Once she was sleeping though the night she eventually earned a bed in her kennel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts