Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am new to the boxer breed and as well to this forum. My name is Kristin and I just recently purchased my first boxer pup as I lost my german shepherd. She will be coming home the first week of June (she will then be 8 weeks), and I have named her Ryleigh.

I was wondering if you have any tips for a new boxer mom? I have done plenty of research on them and think this is the right breed for me.

A few specific questions I have are:
When is the best time to get them fixed? (I havent had a pup for years!)
What is the best way to make riding in the car a positive experience? I would hate for her to be stressed during travelling as I plan to take her many places with me. Also, the same with water- how do I let her know that it is okay and not to be fearful?
Any other hints would be wonderful.

Here is her picture at about 13 days old..

thank you!
Kristin.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hello and Welcome!! your baby is ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS!! i bet the start of June cant come fast enough :) Please be sure to read through our puppy section for it has TONS of great information.  To answer your quesitons, as for the spaying..well that can vary with every person you ask. I would suggest before the first heat cycle. I waited until after with my youngest girl and i wished i hadnt :) First heat could start as early as 6 months but you never really know since every dog is different. For the car ride i would suggest a comforting blanket and toys :) If possible before you bring her home take a blanket over to the breeders house and let the moms scent get on the blanket. That will help calm her down becuase she will smell her mom which is a very familiar scent to her. The water i am no good on, i will experiencing this for the first time this summer :) good luck and please keep us posted on how she is doing!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma!  I would say about 6 mos for spaying.  I take Rocky just about everywhere with me and have done so since we brought him home (Sept/Oct).  I do give this advice, don't let her ride in your lap.  Goodness, it took me weeks after Rocky had gotten to big to ride in the back.  As for water, I have no advice either.  Love the name Ryleigh.  Congrats!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Also, taking her everywhere with you will help her get accustomed to the car.  I learned that youre supposed to take them for rides a lot, so that they dont only associate getting in the car with going to the vet.  Jessie loves the car!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone so far for the warm welcome and great advice so far! Im soaking in all the info...this forum is great!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I just wanted to say welcome from Seattle! You already got some great advice!!  :) You will love it here!!!

What a darling baby you have!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I agree with Lori put her in the back or in passanger seat now I had to try to break 2 from riding on my lap at 40lbs a piece. As for the water I would think to introduce slowly but don't really know ask Ky. They all surf I am sure she can tell you

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
OMG...she's so sweet!  Welcome!!!

We took a blanket with us when we picked up Tango and it has become somewhat of a security blanket for him.  He sleeps with it, carries it around.  We take it in the car.  He slept for most car rides when we was that young...a whole 8 weeks ago!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first baby Boxer...As I am just getting ready to bring my latest home I know how long those 8 wks can seem..If you have the option of your breeder being close, go see your pup as much as possible, I did, so I started bonding when Flick was 1 day old...
Car rides are a great way to bond and socialize your pup, plus I haven't met a Boxer that has not wanted to go for a ride :) As far as the water, I am assuming you mean like swimming? Boxers will either sink like a stone or swim...Start early, never just toss them out there..We started Buck at 10 wks by just carrying him into the pool and walking around with him in our arms..As he got a bit older than we would let go and gently push him to the steps...He was in his element...A life jacket for doggies is also a good idea as well, just in case

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
My advice on the car thing, get a doggie seatbelt and secure her in the backseat, take her on a lot of short trips early to get her used to it, and don't leave her unattended in the car.  Even for a minute!  I hear too many stories about pups getting stolen out of cars.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Welcome!  Ryleigh is a cutie!  I know you can't wait to bring her home.  Can't wait to hear all about her and see more pics.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sounds like everyone has given good info so I won't repeat it again.  Ryleighis just adorabale, love the dark brindles.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have got wonderful advice already! Congrats on the new addition! I know how long that 8 week wait is LOL...it will feel like its taking forever, but once you able to get her your gonna be like OMG its already time? LOL You will love it here :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
She is adorable..My puppy is 8 weeks old now..We picked her out of the litter at 1 week old and it was tough going to see her each week and not be able to take her home..you will really enjoy this forum..it has helped me a lot in this past week.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
We had diesel in the bathtub twice a week from when he came home. Just a bit of water on one end, so he could be on the dry side, or check out the water on the other end. That seemed to work well, since last summer he jumped up and into the pool to "save" our daughter when she was playing with daddy and laughing. lol
The only problem we have now, is that he tries to jump in the tub every night when I fill it. =P He's a water dog for sure!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I started to take my puppy riding to the video store every night from about 4 months old. After about a week of it, All I say is let's go ridding and he goes to the door and starts barking!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Welcome from Texas! Ryleigh is adorable!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts