Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all :)
A little intro: I am new to the Boxer breed (but not dogs) and have recently brought home a little female. I’ve always had primarily Border Collie’s and my former working-bred stockdog recently passed away from old age, so hubby and I decided to get a Boxer as our research pointed towards them being better family dogs who are great with kids.

She’s cute, and super snuggly which I love! My BC’s have always gone 400 miles an hour, even as puppies, so the lower activity level is a treat and a much better fit for our family right now. I’ve been lurking for a while and have a question about feeding raw, but I’ll post that in the appropriate forum.

Her name is Georgia (named because my 4 year old daughter insisted she’s ‘George’ lol). Thanks for having me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm, I’d like to post a topic in the raw forum but am getting an error message that I do not have permission. Is there a minimum post requirement?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hmm, I’d like to post a topic in the raw forum but am getting an error message that I do not have permission. Is there a minimum post requirement?

Yup, I believe its 3 posts then you are all set. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A little intro: I am new to the Boxer breed (but not dogs) and have recently brought home a little female. I’ve always had primarily Border Collie’s and my former working-bred stockdog recently passed away from old age, so hubby and I decided to get a Boxer as our research pointed towards them being better family dogs who are great with kids.

She’s cute, and super snuggly which I love! My BC’s have always gone 400 miles an hour, even as puppies, so the lower activity level is a treat and a much better fit for our family right now. I’ve been lurking for a while and have a question about feeding raw, but I’ll post that in the appropriate forum.

Her name is Georgia (named because my 4 year old daughter insisted she’s ‘George’ lol). Thanks for having me!

Lol. How old is she, because my guy was insane energy for the 1st year. And is now down to just crazy energy after 2.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Well I would say a Boxer for a family pet is a much better choice than a BC, hands down.
Herder dogs as a "Group" are way to much time work and effort for "most people."

But I know of two that I found most impressive and one of them ...I saw walking calmly along side his owner next to Hwy 50 in town off leash! I was most impressed and jealous at the time. Most likely my Struddell could have did the same?? But at the time I did not trust her??? At the time, I found Boxers kinda hard to read?? I could not tell what she was thinking?? But I do remember that guy and that BC and many years later with a different Breed my first GSD ... I was able to do the same thing! :)

No BS on what those dogs are thinking or in Boxer speak no thick-iish layer of "Goofy." The other BC I found impressive was, well the one I rescued/trained and passed on!! She was outstanding!!! Molly, I still miss that dog! Other than those two ... all of the ones I've seen (Herder Dogs) ... have been badly trained, ill mannered, people biting, car chasing, PIA's!

But maybe yours was better?? Assuming yours was a well trained BC?? A Boxer should be no big deal?? But they will most certainly not be as quick to get with the program as a BC?? Because you know "whatever it is you want to do?? Is most certainly not as much fun as what I want to do?? So you know "show me," why I should care, about what you want ... especially the "girls!" :)

But that said if you had a well trained BC?? Then a Boxer should be no big deal, only added thing required is a butt load of "patience!"

And I'll add if she "seems" to be calm and passive now?? Aww well most likely it's an act?? Once she gets more comfortable you'll see who she really is. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

My most recent BC was a working stockdog - bred from working lines, she herded sheep. So she had a lot of training, above and beyond the average. Along with that came an intensity, intelligence and energy level that is second to none. Border collies are not worn out until their brains are tired lol, and even that can be hard to achieve! Working bred BC’s also tend to be a one person dog, which makes them amazing as a handler, but somewhat aloof as a family dog. I plan to have another in a few years.

I think if I hadn’t had Border Collies prior to the new puppy, I would find Georgia to have a high energy level lol.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Thanks guys!

My most recent BC was a working stockdog - bred from working lines, she herded sheep. So she had a lot of training, above and beyond the average. Along with that came an intensity, intelligence and energy level that is second to none. Border collies are not worn out until their brains are tired lol, and even that can be hard to achieve! Working bred BC’s also tend to be a one person dog, which makes them amazing as a handler, but somewhat aloof as a family dog. I plan to have another in a few years.

I think if I hadn’t had Border Collies prior to the new puppy, I would find Georgia to have a high energy level lol.
LOL ... working stock and an Herder Dog??? I'm impressed ... that is pretty "Hard Core!" :)

Now I can't speak to your particula Boxer??? But if you really wanted to ... she could that "Job!" It's just gonna take more time and I don't think you'd get the same level of "Feed Back??"

You'd not be really sure of what she's thinking??? But that said ... if I were to actually give advise as to which sex of Boxer a newbie should chose??? I would recommend a male!

In my limited experience with rescue, Boxers ... I always get males??? And I have found them remarkably easy to work with "because" they seem to actually give a crap about what you want!

The males are like "what can I do to make you happy??? The females are more like "what can you do to make me happy???"

Its the "feedback thing." You just don't know what they are thinking (the girls?)??

But part of that was me not my Struddell! She was my first PB and my first girl. And I was a seriously, anal hard core heliacopter Dad!! I understand now ... I overcompensated?? She was seriously much better trained than I understood at the time???

My male dogs ... American Band Dawgs, APBT/Boxer mixes and of course my sigh (formerly) Human Aggressive, Over Size Working Line GSD, I could "read them" my first female Boxer ... not so much???

Nonetheless ... I luv the girl Boxers! I'm still ... sigh, on the hunt for my next, Female Boxer!! Hard core goofy they are ... but I find them delightful!!!

Oh and I have to note, least I make them sound like to much fun ... the "Girls." The only Boxer I have seen that you would "NOT" your dog to meet in a dark alley, was a Flashy Female!!! Those owners ... messed up bad and that dog was "seriously" Bad Freaking News!!

She saw my 116 lbs male OS Wl GSD from behind a fence (I asked the owners to bring her out) and they did, she was on leash and behind a wrought fence. And she stared at "Rocky" like he was raw meat??? And she never made a sound??? I have no idea what those owners did ... but they messed something up???

I was stunned ie, that's a Boxer??? That particular Boxer ... had a lot of issues?? I'd seen a lot of Boxers ... but never one like that???

At any rate the Boxer and Herder dog ... it's a "thing." Jobs for Boxers is in this thread. And a AKC PDF link can be found here. :
https://www.boxerforums.com/1980032-post55.html

My plan is for next female Boxer ... she's gonna get a job! I don't know what it will be but that is my plan. :)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We love pictures too! My brother has had a few border collies too, all working. I don't think a boxer could do their job, just not agile enough. My brother has cows and had goats, just a series of whistles and that dog knows which way to go. Pretty impressive to see them work. While boxers can be quick I just don't see them being agile. LOL That being said you will love your boxer as a great family dog.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We love pictures too! My brother has had a few border collies too, all working. I don't think a boxer could do their job, just not agile enough.
Uh oh??? Am I back on Germanshepardforum?? The home of "Boxers can't" do "X" job. :confused:

I could be a PIA over there with my, "well Boxers can do job "X" and well ... here they are. That said ... I will say that in my "opinion" Boxers are one of the most underestimated dogs in the "Working Dog Group??"

And most likely ... they get "underestimated" because they excel at there "other" job. That of "Family Pet" and "Good with Kids." My only caution in regards to that job ... is patience required for a new owner, otherwise a Boxer can be a pretty "hair pulling experience." But typically ... there are no vet, visits from dog fights, no humans injured and no Lawsuits, cause an owner did not get the "stranger" (snarling growing, threatening owners and kids,) thing quite right??? The "Goofy" thing in Boxers can make up for a lot of "Temperament Issues, for the most part. :)

But I digress, so back on point. I do tend to have a long memory and it may have been a couple of years ago but there was a post of a Boxer winning a Regional Herding Championship??

I don't recall if the Dog's owner was a member here or if it was just a news article??? But it was here, so that means that by default if one looks ... they can find Boxers doing the (herding dog) job. So maybe it was this dog??
Sheep Herding Brag: BOXER PIP WINS BUCKLE AT THE SDC!

And as to Boxers and Herding in general ... lot's of info here.:
https://www.americanboxerclub.org/can-boxers-herd.html

So, it can be done.

But yeah, not a lot of Boxers out there doing it?? As to why not exactly, one can only speculate?? I tend to thing that by and large owners that already have the skill set for achievement, in say IPO, Herding, and Obedience trials, to name a few "jobs." Gained those skills by learning with working dogs at the pointy end of the spear?? Hmm ... herding dogs all it would seem. But BC's, GSD's and Mals for the most part.

If one goes into those fields with a Boxer?? Then most likely they are working at the back end of the spear ie far back from the point! And then it becomes ... "I don't have time to deal with this crap???"

One of my oft used quotes (from a book) once said by a trainer of LE GSD's. Is "I can train three GSD's in the same amount of time it takes me to train one Boxer."

Now of course there are the dedicated few "boxer" luv'ers and owners that are out there "working there dogs!" But there is the rub, they already adore Boxers! The break thru for Boxers as a serious viable working dog option, will be when Boxer's get chosen by other than Boxer fans because (Boxers) can do the job.

But most likely that will take a generational shift??? By and large there is no large clamour for Boxer's with more of the "Right Stuff" to do the serious "Working Dog" thing??? If one really cares that much (and want a Boxer) ... they just get a Euro (Boxer) and call it a day. :cheers:

The Euro's kinda get overlooked because of the success, in this country of the American Line Boxers. Family Pet, happy and Goofy ... who could ask for more?? :)

·
Registered
634 Posts

Welcome! We would love to see photos.
You probably have your 3 posts by now...
There are several threads on RAW and/or what to feed your puppy. You should find a lot of data on this site to help.

Boxers make wonderful family dogs..actually we consider ours part of our family and they are treated like our two-legged sons. :)

If you have small kids, boxers can be hyper and knock the kids over on accident...they all have their own personalities to some degree so the energy level/ hyperness varies a little.

We have two boxers that are 4.5 years and a 1 year old puppy. They all love to sit in your lap/ snuggle- regardless of their size.

It sounds like your baby is off to a great start!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well I would say a Boxer for a family pet is a much better choice than a BC, hands down.
Herder dogs as a "Group" are way to much time work and effort for "most people."

But I know of two that I found most impressive and one of them ...I saw walking calmly along side his owner next to Hwy 50 in town off leash! I was most impressed and jealous at the time. Most likely my Struddell could have did the same?? But at the time I did not trust her??? At the time, I found Boxers kinda hard to read?? I could not tell what she was thinking?? But I do remember that guy and that BC and many years later with a different Breed my first GSD ... I was able to do the same thing! :)

No BS on what those dogs are thinking or in Boxer speak no thick-iish layer of "Goofy." The other BC I found impressive was, well the one I rescued/trained and passed on!! She was outstanding!!! Molly, I still miss that dog! Other than those two ... all of the ones I've seen (Herder Dogs) ... have been badly trained, ill mannered, people biting, car chasing, PIA's!

But maybe yours was better?? Assuming yours was a well trained BC?? A Boxer should be no big deal?? But they will most certainly not be as quick to get with the program as a BC?? Because you know "whatever it is you want to do?? Is most certainly not as much fun as what I want to do?? So you know "show me," why I should care, about what you want ... especially the "girls!" :)

But that said if you had a well trained BC?? Then a Boxer should be no big deal, only added thing required is a butt load of "patience!"

And I'll add if she "seems" to be calm and passive now?? Aww well most likely it's an act?? Once she gets more comfortable you'll see who she really is. Welcome aboard.

I think about 99% of the time our boys are thinking about 3 things...

Will she play with me?
Will she give me food?
Is she going to sit down so I can go sit on her? :clap:

Sometimes all three things at once...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I’m still unable to post in the raw section, so I’ll just ask here then...

I’ve always fed raw, started with BARF and then about 4 years ago switched to a commercially prepared raw diet. Having said that, none of my experience includes a large breed puppy. My vet, at Georgia’s initial appt, urged me to stop feeding the puppy raw and switch her to a high quality kibble for the first year (we long ago agreed to disagree about our opinions of raw vs kibble). She told me that raw diets for large breed dogs are not recommended due to the inability to balance phosphorus and calcium in raw for proper growth of soft bones in large breed dogs. She stated that science and research support this, though the only study I was able to find online was sponsored by Purina. It’s also my experience and understanding that a proper raw fed diet ensures a slower growth pattern.

I am currently feeding 7% of her current body weight per day of Steve’s Real Food, with salmon oil added once a day. I’ve seen that there are breeders here who feed their pups raw, and I’d love to get some perspectives so I can ensure that I’m dotting all my i’s and crossing my t’s.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Well, I’m still unable to post in the raw section, so I’ll just ask here then...

I’ve always fed raw, started with BARF and then about 4 years ago switched to a commercially prepared raw diet. Having said that, none of my experience includes a large breed puppy. My vet, at Georgia’s initial appt, urged me to stop feeding the puppy raw and switch her to a high quality kibble for the first year (we long ago agreed to disagree about our opinions of raw vs kibble). She told me that raw diets for large breed dogs are not recommended due to the inability to balance phosphorus and calcium in raw for proper growth of soft bones in large breed dogs. She stated that science and research support this, though the only study I was able to find online was sponsored by Purina. It’s also my experience and understanding that a proper raw fed diet ensures a slower growth pattern.

I am currently feeding 7% of her current body weight per day of Steve’s Real Food, with salmon oil added once a day. I’ve seen that there are breeders here who feed their pups raw, and I’d love to get some perspectives so I can ensure that I’m dotting all my i’s and crossing my t’s.
Well I have no idea why you can't post in the other forum?? And I find the raw thing a bit to confusing myself?? But I did know that a lot of the issuing and tummy issues that tend to frequent some dogs don't seem to happen with dogs fed raw???

And Boxers are not large breed dogs so forge any of that large breed stuff for a Boxer. And lastly Vet's don't know crap "Raw Feeding." There speciality is medical not nutrition. I think they take a two day course on nutrition or something like that?? They are not the best source of information on raw feeding.

We do or did have members here, well versed on Raw Feeding here. But I can't recall who they are?? So most likely, not being able to start a thread is a bigger issue than it would seem???

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I think about 99% of the time our boys are thinking about 3 things...

Will she play with me?
Will she give me food?
Is she going to sit down so I can go sit on her? :clap:

Sometimes all three things at once...
And ... there we are! You just can't tell if they take anything seriously???

It's too late now but I now understand that I could have walked my Struddell off leash on neighborhood walks?? But I just did not trust her because of a lack of feedback I suppose??

But that made sense really??? As she was actually "Proofed" with distractions! In the desert, I trained her to chase Jack Rabbits to the North Mountains and not South Hwy. Off leash and at a distance with the use of the word "NO!" And when I said "Stay!" She would freeze like a statute in motion! Three paws on the ground and one paw in mid motion! I'd not seen anything like that since.

But on neighbor walks I always kept her on leash. I just could not tell if she was aware of her surroundings?? By contrast with my GSD ... I always knew ... he was aware of where he was and where I was. He was rarely on leash and when we walked sometimes he would take point and he got of leading her would step to the side and let me lead and he would follow.

I think in a part of that was actually the pointy ears?? If he heard or saw thing ... he would stop and alert with his ears??? We often walked at night and one night on a walk ... he did just that while on pointe! We came to one of our rare widely spaced street lights (out here) and he stopped cold, while he was on point?? He peered into the darkness, ears pointing and looked left, then right paused, sniffed and turned around , went past me and headed towards home???

I was puzzled and peered into the darkness and listened?? I of course saw or heard nothing??? Well ... in more that a year of nightly walks, this had never happened before?? I waited a few more seconds and then said screw this I trust my dog and followed him home! I figured we'd just go the other way and continue our walk but yet again in the other direction ... he did the exact same thing?? So no midnight walk, that evening. We do have Coyotes out here and usually they make a lot of noise ... but if there are only one or two of them, maybe they don't???

Now if I had been walking my Struddell, on that exact same night. Maybe we'd have gotten ambushed?? I luv'd my girl of course but you know ... with out extensive training and proofing ... I don't know if would I put my life in her paws??? Just by nature and breeding, "GSD's" seem to take life, seriously. Boxers by contrast, not so much least way's the American Lines ... I don't know about the Euro Boxers?? Working Line GSD's in a Boxer suit as AFAIK?? But I have never had or met a full Euro Boxer, so I don't know??

But that aside ... I luv the Al Boxers and the girls at that! So I'll see if with my next Boxer ... I can get more feedback from her?? The first time ... I did not much care but the next one ... I'll be looking. :)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Uh oh??? Am I back on Germanshepardforum?? The home of "Boxers can't" do "X" job. :confused:

I could be a PIA over there with my, "well Boxers can do job "X" and well ... here they are. That said ... I will say that in my "opinion" Boxers are one of the most underestimated dogs in the "Working Dog Group??"

And most likely ... they get "underestimated" because they excel at there "other" job. That of "Family Pet" and "Good with Kids." My only caution in regards to that job ... is patience required for a new owner, otherwise a Boxer can be a pretty "hair pulling experience." But typically ... there are no vet, visits from dog fights, no humans injured and no Lawsuits, cause an owner did not get the "stranger" (snarling growing, threatening owners and kids,) thing quite right??? The "Goofy" thing in Boxers can make up for a lot of "Temperament Issues, for the most part. :)

But I digress, so back on point. I do tend to have a long memory and it may have been a couple of years ago but there was a post of a Boxer winning a Regional Herding Championship??

I don't recall if the Dog's owner was a member here or if it was just a news article??? But it was here, so that means that by default if one looks ... they can find Boxers doing the (herding dog) job. So maybe it was this dog??
Sheep Herding Brag: BOXER PIP WINS BUCKLE AT THE SDC!

And as to Boxers and Herding in general ... lot's of info here.:
https://www.americanboxerclub.org/can-boxers-herd.html

So, it can be done.

But yeah, not a lot of Boxers out there doing it?? As to why not exactly, one can only speculate?? I tend to thing that by and large owners that already have the skill set for achievement, in say IPO, Herding, and Obedience trials, to name a few "jobs." Gained those skills by learning with working dogs at the pointy end of the spear?? Hmm ... herding dogs all it would seem. But BC's, GSD's and Mals for the most part.

If one goes into those fields with a Boxer?? Then most likely they are working at the back end of the spear ie far back from the point! And then it becomes ... "I don't have time to deal with this crap???"

One of my oft used quotes (from a book) once said by a trainer of LE GSD's. Is "I can train three GSD's in the same amount of time it takes me to train one Boxer."

Now of course there are the dedicated few "boxer" luv'ers and owners that are out there "working there dogs!" But there is the rub, they already adore Boxers! The break thru for Boxers as a serious viable working dog option, will be when Boxer's get chosen by other than Boxer fans because (Boxers) can do the job.

But most likely that will take a generational shift??? By and large there is no large clamour for Boxer's with more of the "Right Stuff" to do the serious "Working Dog" thing??? If one really cares that much (and want a Boxer) ... they just get a Euro (Boxer) and call it a day. :cheers:

The Euro's kinda get overlooked because of the success, in this country of the American Line Boxers. Family Pet, happy and Goofy ... who could ask for more?? :)
I'm sure they can be trained for anything Chip but I realistically could not see a boxer working cows all morning in the hot sun, so I guess it also depends where you live. There is a AKC class that allows them to be titled in haring so they can do it. Its amazing to me to watch my brother BC herding his cows running under them thru their legs, I think my boy wold collapse. They are great at agility.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I'm sure they can be trained for anything Chip but I realistically could not see a boxer working cows all morning in the hot sun, so I guess it also depends where you live. There is a AKC class that allows them to be titled in haring so they can do it. Its amazing to me to watch my brother BC herding his cows running under them thru their legs, I think my boy wold collapse. They are great at agility.
Cow herding Boxers in the heat??? I'll not be trying to track down that one! LOL ... well played Madam! :clap:

I have looked into the Herding thing cause of course on Germanshepardforum some of them do that stuff aslo. It's not just as simple as saying to the dog, there are the sheep so you know "Go do sheep stuff dog??" :crazyeye:

I have no issues with "seeing Boxers be all that they can be" as it were?? But Cattle ... yeah no I'll not be screwing around with Cattle, with my girl?? Regardless off heat ... that's not gonna happen. But this time ... I'll not be "that Guy." :)

Buttt the heat thing ... thanks for reminding me! i live in the high desert, and summer time gets pretty hot!! I don't want to be one of the freaking tools out here that have Husky's in the freaking desert??? So I'm gonna stick with what I know!

And what they say is ... "that Brachycephalic," breeds can't do the heat thing??? But on this ... I am "that guy!" And while the numbers on Boxers that can do strenuous activities on a continuous basis in heat high are pretty low?? And that would be uh "two" AFAIK?? And of those two high temps Boxers, ... one of them just happens just happens to be my Struddell! :)

And both are American Line Boxers!!! The other was a "Hog Catching" Boxer in Louisiana! And he was on here briefly and posted clips ... yeah, that did not go well! But people missed the bigger point (including me at the time ... my bad!) but that Boxer was in high heat and high humidity and it could still perform!!

My Struddell by contrast would have been much less controversial. I never posted clips as I did not think of it at the time, cause you know , no big deal; my bad. But she would chase Jack Rabbits in the 90 degree temps of the high desert ... all day long! I had to call an end to the game at some point because she would not stop! BYB puppy and a slightly narrow, longer muzzle, that she had ... it was not a deficit apparently, in high heat conditions ... it was an asset! I saw it at the time "temp did not matter" but you know no big deal?? But you know now I know and I would challenge her short muzzled Euro counterparts to do the same (JR chasing in high heat) ... I bet I know ... which dog would have stopped the hunt first. :)

Aww well ... I suppose for the most part ... no one cares??? Boxers due to there short coats are simply not "all weather dogs." But it would appear that if you know what to look for , some of them can handle heat ... better than others. Conformation standards ... notwithstanding. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
And ... there we are! You just can't tell if they take anything seriously???

It's too late now but I now understand that I could have walked my Struddell off leash on neighborhood walks?? But I just did not trust her because of a lack of feedback I suppose??

But that made sense really??? As she was actually "Proofed" with distractions! In the desert, I trained her to chase Jack Rabbits to the North Mountains and not South Hwy. Off leash and at a distance with the use of the word "NO!" And when I said "Stay!" She would freeze like a statute in motion! Three paws on the ground and one paw in mid motion! I'd not seen anything like that since.

But on neighbor walks I always kept her on leash. I just could not tell if she was aware of her surroundings?? By contrast with my GSD ... I always knew ... he was aware of where he was and where I was. He was rarely on leash and when we walked sometimes he would take point and he got of leading her would step to the side and let me lead and he would follow.

I think in a part of that was actually the pointy ears?? If he heard or saw thing ... he would stop and alert with his ears??? We often walked at night and one night on a walk ... he did just that while on pointe! We came to one of our rare widely spaced street lights (out here) and he stopped cold, while he was on point?? He peered into the darkness, ears pointing and looked left, then right paused, sniffed and turned around , went past me and headed towards home???

I was puzzled and peered into the darkness and listened?? I of course saw or heard nothing??? Well ... in more that a year of nightly walks, this had never happened before?? I waited a few more seconds and then said screw this I trust my dog and followed him home! I figured we'd just go the other way and continue our walk but yet again in the other direction ... he did the exact same thing?? So no midnight walk, that evening. We do have Coyotes out here and usually they make a lot of noise ... but if there are only one or two of them, maybe they don't???

Now if I had been walking my Struddell, on that exact same night. Maybe we'd have gotten ambushed?? I luv'd my girl of course but you know ... with out extensive training and proofing ... I don't know if would I put my life in her paws??? Just by nature and breeding, "GSD's" seem to take life, seriously. Boxers by contrast, not so much least way's the American Lines ... I don't know about the Euro Boxers?? Working Line GSD's in a Boxer suit as AFAIK?? But I have never had or met a full Euro Boxer, so I don't know??

But that aside ... I luv the Al Boxers and the girls at that! So I'll see if with my next Boxer ... I can get more feedback from her?? The first time ... I did not much care but the next one ... I'll be looking. :)

Sounds like Rocky did a good thing that night....there's nothing like the bond you can have with your dogs, especially when you can communicate with them.

I think what you noted above shows some of why boxers make such good playful & goofy family dogs and GSD's are by far more protective and serious. My Grandmother had a GSD when I was around 9 or so. I loved her and she was sweet- unless you ran in the house...there was to be none of that. She'd run up and grab your Achilles if you ran. It wasn't a big house, but the hall ran through into the living room.
If we run at all with the boxers, they are in high play mode.
I'm sure personality & training impact it all too....

It still amazes me how many boxers there are in the rescues around here, and how few in the NV, CA, area....I'm sure when the time is right, you'll find your next girl.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Sounds like Rocky did a good thing that night....there's nothing like the bond you can have with your dogs, especially when you can communicate with them.

I think what you noted above shows some of why boxers make such good playful & goofy family dogs and GSD's are by far more protective and serious. My Grandmother had a GSD when I was around 9 or so. I loved her and she was sweet- unless you ran in the house...there was to be none of that. She'd run up and grab your Achilles if you ran. It wasn't a big house, but the hall ran through into the living room.
If we run at all with the boxers, they are in high play mode.
I'm sure personality & training impact it all too....

It still amazes me how many boxers there are in the rescues around here, and how few in the NV, CA, area....I'm sure when the time is right, you'll find your next girl.
Thanks and yeah I'm still looking, I suppose the lack of local Boxers is a good thing. My local rescue that volunteered with Boxer and Buddies does not even have Boxers these days??

That's a good thing however, they are in Ca. But mostly in LA far away and kinda pricey at that?? For 500 bucks I can just get a BYB with unknown, history and take my chances. I'd like to just stumble onto a dog in need myself and skip the middleman, but with no dog to walk these days ... that seems unlikely ... no dog, no walking for me ...what's the point???

But yeah a true civil GSD in a house full of kids ... tends to be the Sheriff for appropriate behaviour! A typical Boxer in the same situation tends to be more of a gang member. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts