Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im kinda new to the forum. I've been on and off for years. Mama to a 14 year old and 4 month old boxer Maximus that I've had for all of his life. I joined the forum because he's getting older and hoping to get support from others who have had aging boxers. He has a heart condition as many boxers do, but does well on his medication. He's got hip dysplasia and has trouble getting up along with weakness in his hind legs. He has a UTI now which is of concern because he cant make it outside. Fortunately he's on medication so it should clear up. He's such a great dog and in good spirits. Still happy even though he sleeps alot. Just as friendly as can be. I fear he's just getting old. Anyone dealt with similar issues? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Maximusmama

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Yeah,we love our seniors here,special places in our hearts :)

Lost my dear Valant last summer at 14.5 :( heart and old age,he just stopped one day.

You are giving him the best care possible,enjoy every minutes you have with him is all I can say

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Welcome aboard! Would love to see more pictures of your handsome guy :)

And wow 14! Many boxer parents don't see that age unfortunately. I agree with Martinc, just love every minute you have with him. Start a bucket list ; car rides, cheese burgers, steak dinner lol sounds silly right.. but what the heck they are family.. I thought this article was touching and this woman made her time left with her pup the best that she possibly could. Dog Owner Creates Amazing Bucket List for Dying Pup - The BarkPost

·
Registered
7 Posts
He is so cute. You are so blessed to have Maximus at this age. Love him everyday is all I can say. I had my little girl Gia until she was 12yr 5mths. She passed March 26th. It sounds like you are taking excellent care of him. Keep in close contact with his vet. Play with him and mostly give him lots of kisses and tell him you love him.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Oh my ... lots of us ... would luv to have this problem. You've done well ... it's gonna be tough but for right now ... a full body harness would be useful.

Least expensive would be this one.:
https://www.amazon.com/Solvit-Lifting-Full-Front-Medium/dp/B008EX52NU

Or for a bit more ... :
Help 'Em Up? Dog Harness | Hip Dysplasia | Dog Carrier

You can assist with him getting up and down and keep him from slipping and falling. Rocky my GSD has Wobblers so he has to struggle to get up, 12 years now and more so though in the past. The full body harness works out fine.

I would not bother with a rear two leg sling ... it seems like a good idea but not to practical in the "Real World." I'm sorry for what your going through but you've done good, welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RIP Maximus

Thank so much for everyone that gave such good advice on how to care for Maximus dealing with his DM. After a few setbacks including him not being able to walk and getting CHF from his heart condition, he was laid to rest. Hardest decision I've ever made in my life. I didn't want him to suffer anymore. Dogs truly hang on for their owners. He was almost 15 and lived a long life with lots of love so I am very grateful. It's only been a few days but I'm doing ok. The nights and mornings are hard because I don't hear him his tags jingling. I pray in time this heaviness will pass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss of Maximus. you had a great Almost 15years together, that is amazing! You and all of the other boxer owners with seniors at age 11,12,14,15 give me so much hope, those are impressive ages as it's all quality of life. I know there's nothing anyone can say to make this time better but I wish you strength comfort and lots of healing vibes

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Aww I'm so sorry, it was not that much advice but I thought you were gone?? But CHF also , yeah that would not give you much time.

It seems like it's just been a bad week for me also ... I just lost Rocky yesterday out of the Blue as it were??? 10 years just seems to be the best I can do ... if I'm lucky. Rocky is dog number three 10 years and they are done for me anyway???

But at 14, you did good but yeah that is also gonna be a lot of heartbreak and tearful memories for awhile but it will get better with time. So sorry and take care. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
My condolences to those that has lost those special family members

But it's wonderful to hear the love in the stories also
(MIKA in Thailand )

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Maximus Momma wow! what a life to be celebrated almost 15 years what a run you were blessed. do you happen to know the linage of Maximus?
My Heart go's out to you and Chip on the lost of very much loved ones. Stay strong for they will be forever around you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts