Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum today and new to having a boxer. I used to be a dog groomer but had to stop due to health problems. So Chance is my boxer's name and he is a year old. This is his third home and his forever home. I am good with training so I'm ok with his behaviour issues and it has been hard but rewarding.
I do have questions about digestion and poop however. Can we talk about poop? lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get him on a high quality grain free diet, avoiding potatoes, beef and chicken to start. See what that does for the little man. Eventually look into feeding him raw, it sounds gross but it’s absolutely the best way to feed our dogs.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
On third home and behavioral issues??? In as much as "Behavioral issues" are kinda my thing. I'm kinda curios as to what they are??? Best advise would be to "not" do what those owners did. I could guess what those prior owners did and most likely what you are doing?? And Luv and affection ... does not solve all??

But in as much as his "behavioral issues??" Are not a concern??? I'm just a "drive by" but welcome aboard in any case. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum today and new to having a boxer. I used to be a dog groomer but had to stop due to health problems. So Chance is my boxer's name and he is a year old. This is his third home and his forever home. I am good with training so I'm ok with his behaviour issues and it has been hard but rewarding.
I do have questions about digestion and poop however. Can we talk about poop? lol
I'd have him on a grain free kibble. All my dogs eat Victor grain free all life stage/puppy. I sometime feed the formula with glucosamine . They have no poop problems. All are firm and they go about 3x day. They eat 3-4 cups per day fed in 2 meals. Our almost 4 year old boxer eats 3 cups and our 7 month old standard poodle almost 4.

The boxer does not get a lot of treats and we must moisten his food. He does not chew, the poodle chews like a person.
I don't know your dogs poo problems so you may want to elaborate more...some problems one from over feeding but there have been boxers on th is forum where their owners have tried everything and still no solid poop until they went to raw and the problems disappeared. The are stickies on the forum with lots of info on raw feeding/or home cooking. For me personally I'd cook if I had too as I don't like raw food and you must be vigilant in cleaning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
when we picked up chance, he was being fed Purina puppy chow. I continued to feed it but noticed his poop was like cow paddies pretty much. He was very underweight when I got him. ( could see every vertebrae and rib and his hips). I fed him a lot thinking he would put weight on, but he got squirty diarrhea. sometimes there was even blood in his stool. When he finally had his vet appointment with worming and his shots, she put him on Royal Canin gastrointestinal, high energy. He didn't like it, and he wouldn't eat much and would have foamy vomit every morning. He was given a pig ear by someone well meaning but had gelled blood bowel movements. Scary.

Long story short, and of course, slow transitions, a pet store put him on GO sensitivity and shine with trout and chicken and turkey. It was grain free. He would have formed poops in the morning but mushy by evening. And he would have 6-7 a day being fed 3, sometimes 4 cups a day. His gas could clear a room and make you gag!

So I emailed GO and they said to try the skin and coat salmon recipe. He loves to eat it, but will still have formed poop in the morning and by evening it is mushy and sometimes foamy. He does not vomit anymore tho.

I had tried adding some white potato because I would still like more weight on him. he threw up just potato thro the night ad morning as well. so I know he cannot handle a tablespoon of potato. but now I see there is potato in this Salmon recipe he is on. Maybe that causes the foamy stool by end of day, I don't know.

Good news is the vet said he has gained a pound, but he still needs more.

Is there a food with just simple salmon and rice and veggies with no potatoes or chickpeas or lentils? I think I prefer a kibble. I have never fed raw but can think more about it.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Behaviour issues:

Fear aggression and just plain fear of everything including the wind! I kid you not. he was even so scared to walk on the sidewalk with traffic going by. The first time I took him to the vet, the vet asked me if there were children in the home as it would not be safe. But I knew how to handle the issues as I have dealt with many dogs. No not just affection and affection and more affection, although he gets lots of it and I love him so much now. It has been very rewarding. I did things gradually with him. firstly we started in the home and had people come in. If he got that look, he was taken away and brought back over and over....slowly gaining trust. it moved into walking...then walking in town and so on. Long story short, he now goes to a dog park and does not want to eat other dogs. He truly is a lovely guy. He can still play too rough so I intervene before it goes there. He now comes when called, sits, stays, and now shakes a paw. he knew nothing before. He can heel now too. He gained more confidence from being trained these things.

I do not work now, so I have all day to train him. lol

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
chanenme..
Sounds like you have a good handle on training. I'm glad chance found you. Have you tried adding a probiotic to his meals? We use to do this for our guy as he too had lots of gas, but he seems to have now outgrown it. He also use to poo several times a day and the latter one being mushy, mashed potato like... Now he is fine and his poo only gets loose if he has had too many treats. He also doesn't seem to need the probiotic anymore. We just bought the one at petsmart, beef flavored tablet and he gobbled it up. This is the one we used https://www.petsmart.com/dog/dental-care-and-wellness/vitamins-and-supplements/gnc-pets-ultra-mega-probiotic-formula-chewable-dog-tablets---beef-5158248.html
Since he is doing pretty well maybe some boiled white rice added to his kibble may help or pumpkin (not puree)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Behaviour issues:
Fear aggression and just plain fear of everything including the wind! I kid you not. he was even so scared to walk on the sidewalk with traffic going by. The first time I took him to the vet, the vet asked me if there were children in the home as it would not be safe.
Aggression issues?? LOL,
well it's your lucky day!!!

It does like you know what you are doing but it sounds like you are also making choice that I nor the trainers I tend to recommend would not make! Starting with the "Dog Park" I am not a fan of "Dog Parks!" Not are any of the Pro's I tend to recommend. You have no idea who brings what to a "Dog Park" on any given day?? THere are lot's of people out there ... "who just don't care what there's dogs issues maybe?? My dogs problems are not my problem, they are your problem ... is how they roll!

Save for the purpose of "Proofing" there dogs behaviour ... not a single I "Pro" I tend to recommend does "Dog Parks." But breaking that down even further ... all it takes is one bad encounter and all you have done goes straight down the toilet!

I don't do "Dog Parks" I don't do is your dog friendly people?? If they have to ask ... they don't know!

Our motto was "I don't know you, I don't know your dog ... you keep your distance, we'll keep ours. I don't play. The best advise would be "Pack Walks" all dogs on leashes and know safe dogs only ... if you must. I put to much time and effort into my dogs to risk, some unknown tools dog, screwing up my hard work! All your dog needs ... is "YOU!"

And ... I am not a "Pro" I'm just a member of JQP, that had an Over Size 116 lbs ,Working line GSD, that uh did not much care for people! And for a period of time he was a "Bubble Dog" a dog that needs to be muzzled in public to be keep people safe. While "we" worked on his issues. Now weather that was "Fear of people or Aggression??" I did not know or did not care ... I used the term "Unpredictable with people" good enough and we proceed from there.

I have lot's more on how to deal with this if you like?? But for now ... I'll post this just to let where I come from. Rocky and I had a pretty rough start and ultimately i worked out fine ... he did get to meet many strangers over his 10 years and despite his (Pack fighting beginning) he was just fine with other Dogs on those rare occasions.

But this is who we are and how we came to be.:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/399905-what-would-my-dog-do.html

If you want to more ... just ask. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I agree with Chip, I don't do dog parks either. And I don't like other dogs getting in my space or my dogs space. However I do like walking with other people and their dogs. This has become very helpful to me. My standard poodle pup had some fear issues, probably still does its him so I learn to make the best of it for both of us. We do walk with others and it helps tons. He no longer will bark at other people/dogs. He was young and starting this so we nipped it in the bud so to say and not with any heavy correction. I tend to mix in different methods of training, some of it positive training. This worked for his fearfulness. WE talk when I see someone jogging or walking or another dog I say look at that ...and so on and as he is quiet and the sec he is looking at me/treat...now I don't treat every time but just in the beginning . I did the same getting him in the right position for heeling. Now I seldom treat but he is never quite sure whether he will get one or not so he does what he is suppose too. When he was afraid of something I stayed a distance away...to where he was comfortable. Each time the distance got a little shorter. At first he was afraid of other dogs now we can walk side to side, each dog being on their persons left and there is no lunging or barking etc, just a nice calm walk. He will get there I am sure. And as Chip said dog parks people don't care, they just want their dog to play and get tired out and if that means chasing or jumping on your dog too bad for you..and if that happens to a dog who has fears..he will loose all confidence.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I will try a probiotic first for him I guess before I change his food once again.

Also, thank you for the opinions on dog parks.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
So I will try a probiotic first for him I guess before I change his food once again.

Also, thank you for the opinions on dog parks.
The Dog Park,thing is not really my "opinion??" The article is from "Leerburgh" so about 50 years of "experience/observation" there. :)

And the "Pro's" I tend to recommend have tained literally, thousands of Dogs and none of them recommend "Dog Parks??"

And on here ... yeah I got tired of being Mr Bad news Bear?? And one time with a newbie and Dog Parks. I chose not to be the "bad Guy??"

And while I was pondering ... she made a "Dog Park" report and her "puppy got mauled and blinded in a "Dog Park" encounter gone wrong!!! I still remember that and it was a few years ago .... :(

And on FB there was a Boxer puppy that was "horribly mauled," skull reconstructive surgery required!! I never posted that one ...

Cesar Milan always posted clips of his rehabbed work with dogs and at the end of each episode ... off to the Dog Park, you go?? Yeah great ... but you know what about the other dogs out there in the Dog Park???"

My first Dog was an "American Band Dawg" and much to my surprise ... sigh Bull Mastiff/APBT/Lab mix he had an issue with other dogs .... DUH!
He was so bad that he was the only dog I sought out advice from a Pro for.

He was the only dog I went to a trainer with cause I was seriously confused??? And he was pronounced as not "Dog Aggressive" but a "Dominant Male Dog??" Whatever, I like to keep it simple so ... no street meet and greets and no Dog Parks!"

In San Jose Ca in 2000, Band Dawgs were the thing! And if I had one (Band Dawg) ... so did others! And I was not really, that interested in breaking up a "dust up" between two Band Dawgs! I gave a crap about my dog ... but another dog owner ... maybe not so much?? I don't need that crap! So no Dog Parks for us, problem solved.

On FB ... I have seen lots of Boxer Dog Park, horror stories ... some so bad, I have not posted ...

So if you go to a "Dog Park" no problem but beware that "some dogs" in a "Dog Park" should not be there! My Struddell's safety came first and foremost for me! And in her ten years of life ... she was never attacked by an unknown dog! I don't freaking play! If another dog owner wants their dogs to meet my dogs ... make an appointment. :)

And I'm not really crazy about your approach to the people thing either?? I suppose I can't say that approach would not work?? But I think it's fair to ask, if your dog has an objection with a stranger, what is your plan B???

I've been there, with a dog that uh doesn't much care for "strangers??" And with 116 lbs of WL GSD ... putting people, in his face ... was not really the best of options?? That situation ... "never happened" but I made different choices than you described, with my people issue dog??

My GSD looked to me ... to have his back?? He learned to understand ... that I would not put him in a situation in which he is comfortable, until he could deal and make "Good Choices??"? And with your current approach ... which is to put strangers in your dog's face ... so you know "he gets over it, I assume?? Well in "Pro" terms ... that would be "Flooding??" I have no idea how that is gonna work out in the long run??? It is not what I do with a people issue dog ... for what's that worth???

·
Registered
9 Posts
High quality food is a must. It can be difficult to identify which foods are healthy. There is a site where a person does extensive research on all dog foods, there is a small fee to obtain the information. When you find it you will know, he is rather eccentric

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the vet has put him on Forti Flora probiotics to see how he does. I have taken advice from above posts and will introduce "GO Salmon limited ingredient" dog food shortly. So no chicken or beef and no potatoes and such. It is a Canadian product and we are from Ontario.

thanks again for your replies. much appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So his sloppy stool by the end of the day is fixed. Being two weeks on a probiotic didn't really help, but, yes, a limited ingredient, grain free, no potatoes, and only salmon protein worked. yay!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts