Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owning a Boxer for the first time.. Had a Pomeranian before, may be around 15 yrs back and lost him to the street dogs, they just ripped him off in a few seconds: ( That's when I decided I would never own a small breed dog. Had a great confusion between Doberman and a Boxer. Squared down to boxer for the friendly nature and good with kids..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm feeding him entirely home cooked food. Here in India we widely get 3 brands of manufactured food, that's Pedigree, Drools and Royal Canin. All of them mostly have Rice and Meat by Products, so they don't sound healthy to me. And moreover my dog's father (the breeders male dog) died just days after I bought my puppy, he was entirely on these low quality manufactured dog food and he was just 5yrs old. So it was adamant for me to stick to home food. I feed him thrice a day, planning to shift to twice a day, may be when he turns one year old. The food that I give him mostly contains Wheat breed with milk (we call it Chapati here), Sorghum bread with milk (jowar), boiled eggs, boiled chicken or mutton. Sometimes I give him banana and mango. Banana gives him a bad stomach..
Any suggestions on feeding from more experienced people is a welcome:)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
There is a poster here from India that feeds Acana I believe.. one of the best kibble out there. My only concern with home cooked diet is are you giving/meeting his dietary needs by feeding bread and chicken. I feed my guy raw and, I rotate my proteins ever other day, and honestly I don't know what home cookers need to sustain a diet..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Best suggestion is to get him off the grains! Boxers especially often don't do well on them. Allergies and stomach/digestive issues are very common. Add in some fruit and veggies too! There is a list out there on good ones for dogs. Carrots, peppers, sweet potatoes, cranberries, blueberries, bananas, apples, oranges are just a few. You may want to think about supplements if all he's getting right now is chicken for protein?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, wheat and jowar primarily contain carbohydrates. Eggs, milk and meat contains protein. Sometimes I mix boiled legumes with wheat, that's again high in protein and minerals. Additionally I give him a multi vitamin and minerals syrup after his evening play time...:) Just making sure he gets utmost nutrition..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
And again I don't think bread and milk are nessecairy, nor have nutritional value. I would look into dog specific recipes that contain whole grains, mixture of proteins not relying just on chicken and, mutton. Also adding supplements would be ideal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And again I don't think bread and milk are nessecairy, nor have nutritional value. I would look into dog specific recipes that contain whole grains, mixture of proteins not relying just on chicken and, mutton. Also adding supplements would be ideal.
Below is the link of the supplement that I'm giving him, let me know if that needs to be changed:)
https://petshopindia.com/petcare-provical-pet-500ml

And wheat and jowar is whole grain, yes. We make a flour out of whole grain.. Veggies I agree I'm not giving him much, had a couple of bad stomach experiences, I'll try them once again:emtthumbs:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you looked at this, on this forum.
Raw Diet - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Maybe it will help you with some of your decisions.
100% raw?? I never thought about it... Not practical for me to get it from a butcher every day. Can I store it in the freezer if I get the quantity that can feed him for a week? Should I give it to him straight from the freezer or wash the meat before giving it to him to avoid any parasitic infection? And would it also fulfill the nutrition that comes from veggies?

I'm a little skeptical of feeding him 100% raw, it shouldn't become like he refuses to eat anything else other than raw if I couldn't give him raw some day. I'm thinking rather mix a portion of raw with his regular food, that will give him the nutrition as well as acceptance for cooked food. Please advice. I guess I've put too many questions:lol:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I feed 100%raw I portion his meals freeze and thaw as I go, I don't feed veggies and such. He just gets meat. I buy a months worth of meat from different resources mainly the butchers, but I also buy most of my chicken from the grocery store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feed 100%raw I portion his meals freeze and thaw as I go, I don't feed veggies and such. He just gets meat. I buy a months worth of meat from different resources mainly the butchers, but I also buy most of my chicken from the grocery store.
Gave him small pieces of raw chicken, first he was reluctant to eat it, then tried to chew it and he spit it, again tried to chew it and spit it. Then he figured out he cannot chew it and he just swallowed the pieces (with bone):clap:

I somehow still don't vouch for 100% raw feeding. I will mix it with his regular cooked food. So that I can alternatively mix veggies, raw egg or boiled egg and raw meat..

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
100% raw?? I never thought about it... Not practical for me to get it from a butcher every day. Can I store it in the freezer if I get the quantity that can feed him for a week? Should I give it to him straight from the freezer or wash the meat before giving it to him to avoid any parasitic infection? And would it also fulfill the nutrition that comes from veggies?

I'm a little skeptical of feeding him 100% raw, it shouldn't become like he refuses to eat anything else other than raw if I couldn't give him raw some day. I'm thinking rather mix a portion of raw with his regular food, that will give him the nutrition as well as acceptance for cooked food. Please advice. I guess I've put too many questions:lol:
I can't really help you. On this forum there are many who raw feed so I'm sure you will get advise. I just thought the link would be helpful in providing information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't really help you. On this forum there are many who raw feed so I'm sure you will get advise. I just thought the link would be helpful in providing information.
I can sense your sincere concern for the breed and I'm pleased. Im not against raw, I am feeding him raw, yesterday he was reluctant to eat but today he enjoyed it. Its just that i need a little more researching on 100% raw. Thanks Linda:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts