Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have 2 boxers and I am getting a puppy boxer in April and we are looking to switching our babies to the Raw Diet but I honestly dont know where to begin? I found a week to week guide on what to feed, but I've seen controversy about whether you should feed veggies or fruits? And do I need to add any supplements or do they get all their vitamins from the meat. Also how do I know how much to feed? I have a boxer that is 83lbs and one is 67lbs. And how much would I feed the puppy ? Thanks in advance guys !

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
The answer to your question really depends on wether you are planning on "making" your raw meals or buying pre made frozen raw food (or freeze dried if you just happen to have wayyyy too much money sitting in your bank account).

I would suggest that since you are new to raw food you should go with a commercial brand, making your own takes lots of know how and the ability to "read" your dogs to see what you may need to add/delete from their diet for proper nutrition. The commercial diets (the good ones anyway) have taken the guess work out of the equation by providing you pre made frozen pucks, patties or sausages. Plus the commercial brands will all provide feeding Guides for their food.
It's getting more and more common to see pet food stores that stock or even specialize in raw food and many of the raw food manufacturers will even deliver within their local area.

I did lots of research and settled on Artisan Raw, because they use multiple types of protein in each "puck" where almost all of the other brands have separate recipes ie: beef, chicken, fish etc. with each formula sold in it's own box. Personally I like that I can get all in one and not have to "rotate" the meals in order to provide my dog multiple types of protein.

Artisan does make a Puppy formula which they suggest feeding up until 4-6 months (depending on breed) before switching to the complete adult formula. They have a really good web site so take a look, I highly recommend it and will be feeding my new pup Artisan, when I finally get him.

As for extra supplements the only thing I ever added was a couple sardines in each meal and lots of quality meaty bones to chew on.

Frozen food is also good for helping to keep your dogs teeth clean and slows down their eating if your dogs a "gulper". I would take my dogs meal out of the freezer the day before and put it in the fridge, that way it was still semi frozen when he got fed so he really had to chew his food first.

Just be sure to be very clean when feeding raw, your dog can handle everything pretty well but you could get very sick if you don't take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to make it on my own , we have 2 boxers and 2 pits that we are wanting to transition and I know if we buy it from a pet store it would be a pretty penny. Plus I like the idea of knowing what my dog is eating. Part of the reason I'm switching. I'm tired of all the recalls and everything that keeps happening to kibble.

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
There is a beginners guide to raw feeding in the raw feeding section of the forum. Please feel free to post any additional questions or concerns there and I’ll gladly help :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see that and I read that , how does it work for puppies ? I seen that you wean your litters to raw meet and just wondering how I can do that as well? I have a litter of pups and we are keeping one and if I could start him right off the bat with raw diet then I would love to do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts