Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Juniper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!! I recently got a Boxer puppy. Her name is Juniper.

After getting Juniper, I have come to realize all the things I didn’t do right in getting a Boxer. I didn’t know what questions to ask, or what to look for. I didn’t go to the most reputable source. I was a bit naïve about the whole process. In the future I won’t make the same mistakes. That said, Juni is here & is here to stay! I love the little nut.

I’m hoping to learn from you all & come to you for advice when needed. Of course, to see the beautiful pics of your beloved babies. Thank you:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
She is very cute! Welcome in! I think you will enjoy your new girl once you get used to the energy level, they usually settle down somewhere around 2 so just be patient. With all this great energy comes a very high intelligence so be ready to do some mental stimulation as well as physical exercise with your puppy you will be greatly rewarded for the time you put into her.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum, very pretty girl. Well to get things on a good track and since you say you didn't have a lot of dog knowledge I would find a good training school or trainer.
How To Become A Dog Trainer: Things To Know About Dog Training Not that you want to become a professional dog trainer but the link can help guide you some. Boxer are people dogs, they love to please you and to be with you. Looking forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
Juniper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum, very pretty girl. Well to get things on a good track and since you say you didn't have a lot of dog knowledge I would find a good training school or trainer.
How To Become A Dog Trainer: Things To Know About Dog Training Not that you want to become a professional dog trainer but the link can help guide you some. Boxer are people dogs, they love to please you and to be with you. Looking forward to hearing more.
Thank you so much!! :)

·
Registered
Juniper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is very cute! Welcome in! I think you will enjoy your new girl once you get used to the energy level, they usually settle down somewhere around 2 so just be patient. With all this great energy comes a very high intelligence so be ready to do some mental stimulation as well as physical exercise with your puppy you will be greatly rewarded for the time you put into her.
Thank you!! I do love her energy level!! She is such a spazzy lady, but is very intelligent. Once she has her last parvo shot and rabies shot I do want to get her in a more formal training. So far all I’ve taught her is sit, shake, down & stay but she catches on pretty quick.

·
Registered
Juniper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much!! :) I’ll gladly take any resources.

I had a tiny bit of dog knowledge, but not really boxer knowledge!! I’ve never gotten my own dog as an adult & didn’t do all the research I should have as far as the questions to ask the breeder, how to find a reputable breeder, etc.

It’s unfortunate because my vet told me Juniper is more than likely going to have hip or knee problems, & might need surgery at some point.I was advised to let her hit puberty because the estrogen released from heat cycles can help her bones and joints before spaying her. I was definitely kicking myself for not doing my due diligence but am also glad she came to a person who will do whatever is necessary to have a happy life.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That is very strange a Vet would make those kind of predictions? You really need xrays to see if hip dysplasia is there and the knee thing? Yes Boxers can be very prone to knee injuries. I would recommend you do some reading on all of these subjects and don't ""borrow" trouble that hasn't happened! There is a great debate going on now about the value of spaying and neutering our Boxers so that is something else you will have to consider as well. Can you keep her from being bred when she is in heat or running off?? The thoughts are now its healthier for them to remain unaltered. But you really have to be on top of things when she is in her cycle/

·
Registered
Juniper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is very strange a Vet would make those kind of predictions? You really need xrays to see if hip dysplasia is there and the knee thing? Yes Boxers can be very prone to knee injuries. I would recommend you do some reading on all of these subjects and don't ""borrow" trouble that hasn't happened! There is a great debate going on now about the value of spaying and neutering our Boxers so that is something else you will have to consider as well. Can you keep her from being bred when she is in heat or running off?? The thoughts are now its healthier for them to remain unaltered. But you really have to be on top of things when she is in her cycle/
I think it’s because of how she was walking—almost kind of crooked. The vet did say it would all depend on how she develops of course but that was very scary for me to hear. Their words were for me to start saving now in case she does need surgery 😱 you are absolutely right though, fatalistic thinking isn’t going to help the situation at all.

and yes there’s definitely a divide regarding waiting to spay/neuter. It’s good that for now I am working from home most days of the week due to Covid.

Do you have any experience with an unaltered dog and their behavior?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes, my current male is not neutered he is fine I have no problems with him. Most people with un spayed females usually have some way to deal with their heat cycle be it doggie panties or have a special place for them to stay while in heat I think the most problem you will have is when she is ready to be bred she may attempt to run off so she needs to be in a secure location where no dogs can get in and she can't get out. I have a female as well she is spayed because I have an intact male in the house. Its really up to the owner how you want to deal with this. As far as spaying/neutering goes on behavior un spayed/neutered males and females can be more aggressive and dominate but if a dog has those tendencies anyway spaying/neutering won't change that behavior.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Today many are saying that in larger breed dogs a later neuter/spay is better as their hormones play an important role in bone development and also can help with avoiding certain cancers. I found this an interesting read. https://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F125096705031 I kinda go medium and neuter my male dogs at about 13 months old if my vet concludes their growth plates have closed. We now have a small dog and are considering what age will be appraise for him. Always something to think about.

·
Registered
Juniper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, my current male is not neutered he is fine I have no problems with him. Most people with un spayed females usually have some way to deal with their heat cycle be it doggie panties or have a special place for them to stay while in heat I think the most problem you will have is when she is ready to be bred she may attempt to run off so she needs to be in a secure location where no dogs can get in and she can't get out. I have a female as well she is spayed because I have an intact male in the house. Its really up to the owner how you want to deal with this. As far as spaying/neutering goes on behavior un spayed/neutered males and females can be more aggressive and dominate but if a dog has those tendencies anyway spaying/neutering won't change that behavior.
[/
That makes perfect sense!! I will definitely have to get her some panties or something of that nature and have an area for her to relax and rest. She doesn’t get full reign of the backyard unattended and I think I will have a place where she will be able to use the restroom & lie down that won’t be crowded. I’m hoping she won’t have aggression issues. The only time she’s ever been a little psycho is when she needs more exercise, so of course I will make sure she’s mentally/physically stimulated.

I live with my sister and my sister eventually wants to get her own dog. Neither of us have had a female who wasn’t spayed so we aren’t sure when the best time would be to get a male (neutered) pal for her. After she’s spayed or while she’s still young?

·
Registered
Juniper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today many are saying that in larger breed dogs a later neuter/spay is better as their hormones play an important role in bone development and also can help with avoiding certain cancers. I found this an interesting read. https://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F125096705031 I kinda go medium and neuter my male dogs at about 13 months old if my vet concludes their growth plates have closed. We now have a small dog and are considering what age will be appraise for him. Always something to think about.
Yes! That’s exactly what my vet told me! She told me a year and a half but I’m sure if her growth plates are closed before then that it would be an appropriate time to fix her. Thank you :)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Personal as my own choice I do not usually bring a new dog into the home until the first one is reliable trained. Otherwise for me anyway, it can be over whelming. Our boxer was very well trained and as I could not find another and the thought of my daughter moving with him to her own place I wanted a 2nd. Having learned more I wanted a boxer from genetically health parents and I just could not find the right one. ZI also always wanted a standard poodle and one basically fell into my lap, lol. He is not trained as well as our boxer was but I'm glad I have him as we lost our boxer to a brain tumor this past spring, which I don't think we will ever get over. They are fantastic dogs. You and your sister can work as a team training your dog and I think she will really be in a good place.

·
Registered
Juniper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Lindar51 I’m so sorry to hear about your boxer. 💜 I can’t even imagine.

And you’re absolutely right about waiting! I want to make sure Juni is in a really solid place with her training first. Luckily this coming week she gets her last parvo & a rabies vaccination, so we can finally take her to classes. If only my sister would get another boxer but she is a total bully breed lover, through and through. My sister tends to only adopt from rescues where the staff get to know their personalities and often goes to volunteer herself. When the time is right we will get to introduce them before making a decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts