Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is Kathy and recently I took in a female boxer who was about to go to the pound...Her name is Gabby and I am guessing she is under a year old not sure yet I have to get her a vet appointment but I thought I would check this out and maybe get some answers to some stuff and some issues.... :?: I have never owned a boxer and I am totally lost ....First off she hasn't been treated very good, she is very very hyper and don't listen, very desrtuctable if left alone at any time (even if I just go to rest room),has no training and very very stubborn to any,But my main concern is she has these spots on her just about where ever she licks and bites at her skin and these patches are now hairless and look like bruises ????? :(  She is a baby doll and I took her in because I just couldn't bear to see her taken to a pound and I am not sure I can do this any help would be appriciated I just don't know what to do where to start..I am disabled and not alot of extra cash but I am willing to give this a try and help her...and take care of her or find someone who really can take care of her if I can't....Please help if you can..

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Wow!  Souonds like you've taken on a real challenge.

The vet should be able to help you some, but it sounds like some behavior issues.  You need to get in touch with a trainer/behaviorlist.  They would be able to help get a handle on her behavior.

As far as the sore spots.  That sounds like lick granuloma.  It has to be treated with some really nasty medicine.  If she can leave the spots alone longe enough, they will heal.  The licking and biting may be behavior related also.

Good luck and keep us posted.  Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
God bless you for taking her in.  Start with a vet check and also read the sticky's on this website about crate training and other training.  Doesn't matter if they say for puppies, she is still a baby.  Boxers can learn to quiet down just takes a little work.  They are wondeful dogs and worth the effort as they are the most devoted and loving dog I know.  I have had them for 27 years and can't switch to any other breed.

Good luck,

Nano

·
Registered
220 Posts
Part of the boxer breed is being hyper, also boxers are much slower to come out of puppyhood--this means that they act like puppies well past a year and a half--two years.  One the plus side, boxers train very easily because the are very smart dogs.  The downside is that they train very easily--If you don't train them they will train themselves and usually it is not what we call acceptable.  If you have ever used clicker training you know how well this works, If not a quick web search will give you many sites with good info on it.  As for the spots get her to the vet and get it checked out.  Boxers have numerous health problems(Part of the breed unfortunately)  Good Luck with Gabby and don't be shy if you feel you need to ask for help we are here to help.

Scott

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kathy and kudos for taking Gabby so she wouldn't go to the pound.  I got Kiah as a rescue at 8.5 months and at that age they are very hyper.   Sounds to me like she has seperation anxiety and there are many posts on here addressing that issue.  Not sure about the skin issue, a vet should be able to address that for you.  If they are some beginner obedience classes in your area they are not usually that expensive and will do wonders to help you and Gabby.  The one thing I can add is that most Boxers need a lot of exercise to get rid of that pent of energy or they can be very destructive.  Crate training helps and makes it safer for the dog so they can't hurt themselves or get into something they shouldn't.   Best of luck and we are here for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts