Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I've been reading a lot of your posts for almost a year now. March 12 will be exactly 1 year since we lost our beloved Boxer "Diesel". He was only 6 years old when he got Liver cancer which had taken over 90% of his Liver and traveled to his Spleen. He really didn't show many symptoms, He was such a tough dog! By the time we figured it out we had no choice. (which in a way was a blessing) My wife says that Diesel was my son's best friend but that he was my soulmate. I think she is right, I've lost multiple people in my life and this last year with losing him has been the hardest thing I could imagine. I got a huge memorial Tattoo of Diesel on my shoulder, I love seeing his mug every time I look in the mirror! When the moderator lets me post pictures I will share for sure.

We have decided to give it another try and get a another Boxer after we get back from Vacation in May (although I really have hesitations about going through all the grief again) You have to look at it from the other perspective, all the Joy and unconditional Love makes my family complete.

Anyway, I'm Rick from Happy Valley Oregon, nice to meet everyone!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hello!
I've been reading a lot of your posts for almost a year now. March 12 will be exactly 1 year since we lost our beloved Boxer "Diesel". He was only 6 years old when he got Liver cancer which had taken over 90% of his Liver and traveled to his Spleen. He really didn't show many symptoms, He was such a tough dog! By the time we figured it out we had no choice. (which in a way was a blessing) My wife says that Diesel was my son's best friend but that he was my soulmate. I think she is right, I've lost multiple people in my life and this last year with losing him has been the hardest thing I could imagine. I got a huge memorial Tattoo of Diesel on my shoulder, I love seeing his mug every time I look in the mirror! When the moderator lets me post pictures I will share for sure.

We have decided to give it another try and get a another Boxer after we get back from Vacation in May (although I really have hesitations about going through all the grief again) You have to look at it from the other perspective, all the Joy and unconditional Love makes my family complete.

Anyway, I'm Rick from Happy Valley Oregon, nice to meet everyone!
Welcome aboard.

Sorry to hear about Diesel.

Everyone is different when they lose a dog. Me personally, couldn't imagine not having one. Loved all my dogs and they all had their different quirks and personalities. Each one holds a special place and I have never tried to compare anyone of them to the one before, which helped me.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I am so sorry for your loss. It doesn’t get easier but it makes you value the time you have with them when they are here.

I look forward to seeing your new family member once you are ready to add them to your family :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!
I will definitely have a different outlook when we get our new bundle of Joy. I hadn't had a dog for over 30 years when my wife talked me into getting Diesel. I never expected the bond that we had. I am so glad that in the year before he passed, we got the opportunity to take him with us on several mini vacations/trips. He was always so happy just to be with us.

If anyone knows of any reputable breeders in the Portland OR area I would be grateful for a contact.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
http://ripntboxers.com/

You can also reach out to the Oregon Boxer Club
Hey Kari, maybe you can answer this for me since you are a breeder.

I understand the reasons behind the spay/neuter contract, but with more information coming out about leaving dogs intact, will breeders be more willing to allow their pups to be sold without that contract, or maybe a different type of contract so if someone wants to keep the dog intact but has no intention of breeding they will allow it.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Hey Kari, maybe you can answer this for me since you are a breeder.

I understand the reasons behind the spay/neuter contract, but with more information coming out about leaving dogs intact, will breeders be more willing to allow their pups to be sold without that contract, or maybe a different type of contract so if someone wants to keep the dog intact but has no intention of breeding they will allow it.
Many breeders have updated their contracts however I doubt they will allow a dog/bitch to stay intact. For example my contract states that the puppy must be spayed/neutered by 24 months of age. That allows the dog to fully mature and growth plates have completely closed. There is no additional benefit after the fact. Some breeders might allow a co-own where you get to keep him intact but only the breeder can choose to use the dog should they wish in the future.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Many breeders have updated their contracts however I doubt they will allow a dog/bitch to stay intact. For example my contract states that the puppy must be spayed/neutered by 24 months of age. That allows the dog to fully mature and growth plates have completely closed. There is no additional benefit after the fact. Some breeders might allow a co-own where you get to keep him intact but only the breeder can choose to use the dog should they wish in the future.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thank you!
I never expected the bond that we had. I am so glad that in the year before he passed, we got the opportunity to take him with us on several mini vacations/trips. He was always so happy just to be with us.
Hi Rick,
I have had lots of different dogs in any life. Boxers were the first to make that bond with me. I don't think all people make that connection, although I think it's more common with Boxer owners. I may be biased. :)
Sorry for your loss. I have experienced it and glutton for punishment that I am, I got three more Boxers. They're all getting older now so I'm enjoying every moment I can with them. When the time comes it will be very hard. But I will be thankful for the joy and growth I experienced with each of them.
Erik

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Rick so sorry about your loss its truly heartbreaking when you lose one of them. I have had other dogs in my life but for the last 30 years of my life I have had boxers they are simply the best dogs I have ever had. Its hard to get over for sure. When you are ready to move on a new boxer will help you for sure. I lost both of my previous boxers within 6 months of each other and one of them was only 3 when I lost him so I was beyond devastated. I did get two more (my current kids) and it has been healing but you have to be ready for that new dog to come in, its a lot of work and you have to be emotionally ready to give your all to the new dog. Its worth it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for the hospitality! Coming in here and reading other peoples stories and struggles has really helped me to deal with my loss. We are definitely going to take the advice and fill (not replace for sure) that gigantic hole in our home. Heck, if nothing else, there are those times when I've pissed off my wife (more than once) and the dog is only one who wants to kiss and snuggle with me :) 100% no matter what!! LOL

Take care everyone!:cheers:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yes, dogs are mans or woman's best friends no matter what. Time does help some but sometimes things will just happen to make you remember the dog you lost I made collage of pictures of the dogs I lost too young and I keep that on my wall, I have their leashes and collars with tags attached still hanging up it just is a comfort to me makes me feel like they are still here. I know its weird but I didn't feel right letting the "new dogs" play with the other dogs stuff but I got over that but I don't reuse collars just can't don't ask me why I guess its just one of those things doesn't have to make sense!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I want to say, first sorry for your lost! And you are correct that many Boxer's owners find themselves here following a trail of tears. I kinda sorta consider (Boxer's) the "Heartbreak Breed" myself. They are/can be both the "Clown Princess, of the Dog World and the Heartbreak Breed." But over all the joy they bring when they are with is ... worth the price we pay when they left us ... often to young. :(

But that aside ... Welcome Back. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts