Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum. I have a 6 year old boxer girl named Ruby.

I joined because she is having an issue with a tongue ulcer that will not heal. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their boxer dogs.

She was caught back in March with a dunking donuts plastic cup and i think that is what caused the ulcer. Problem is its not going away. She had a biopsy done of the tongue and it came back negative for cancer just showed inflammation.

She is on this awesome herbal medicine called Yunnan (Baiyao) Paiyao that has stopped the bleeding and i think is helping it heal. Went and got a second opinion and they want to put my girl under again to take a peek and do another biopsy and see if its healing and maybe suture it.

Not sure i want to do that to her as it will be the 3rd time going under for it and she already had a biopsy. My thoughts are to keep her on this herbal meds continue with the soft diet and allow it to heal. She is eating and drinking normal. Going out and playing and going for walks too.

Anyone else have any ideas or have gone through this same situation??
Would love to hear from you.

Thank you!:

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I have no specific advice aside from sticking to doing what you're doing?? An injured tongue is gonna take time to heal in anycase??

And Boxers are not the best of dogs to be putting under anaesthesia?? Most likely you have a Boxer knowledgeable vet but there is this.:

http://www.boxerforums.com/health-concerns/27398-acepromazine.html

Welcome aboard hopefully your girl is all healed up soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I am not going through with the procedure. Going to allow some time for it to heal. I guess their concern is as to why it hasn't healed up yet but like you said its the tongue and takes awhile to heal. We also had a hot summer here so that didn't help.

I was hoping someone else had a boxer that had this problem on here.

Anesthesia is so dangerous for boxer dogs thanks for that article i will ask my vet about what they use.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I'd be curious as to their answer?? But as I understand it the secret to using the regular "stuff" is to use 30 percent less of it with Boxers.

Vet Tech on GSDForum explained some areas don't have substitutes?? But I had options where I am and I told our Vet ... no Ace on my Boxer and he said "sure no problem" it worked out fine. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts