Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Seth and i am from LI New york.  I currently own 3 boxers,  A Fawn Male a Flashy Fawn Female and a brindle Female.  I plan on breeding  in the future once my dogs mature(they range from 12-24 months).   My two older dogs have had there hips and heart checked, my younger girl will go once she gets old enough for the hip test.   I am very excited to find a Boxer forum, i have been around them my entire life my parents breed boxers when i was a child up untill my father passed away.  Baxter has recently developed some kind of skin condition so i was wondering if any one has any experience with skin conditions! I have spent well over a 1000 on medical tests trying to figure out what it is but the vet has no idea.  It does not appear to be genetical because i know Baxters parents and Grand Parents!  Any way i love Boxers more then any thing i think they are the best dog hands down, and i am looking forward to talking to other boxer lovers. I will try to post pics some time soon

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Welcome to the forum!   And glad to see you are testing your pups before breeding.   There is TONS to learn before even starting so please view the stickies in the breeding section.

On the skin condition what are the symptoms? What did they test and what have they / you narrowed down the cause to be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hair loss around the neck the area.  And thick grey patches of skin,  he also has black oily feeling in grown hair on his lower stomach area.  They may not actually be in grown hair but that is what the vet said.  He has been tested for every fungal bacterial and viral skin infection.  He was also on a special diet for 3 months and thyroid tested.  The thyroid originally came back low but after having him on thyroid medication for 3 months with out any improvement the vet removed him and retsted, and it turns out the first test was just a false positive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was actually cooking for him, a blend of Chicken or venison with rice or potato's as a carb and different vegetables.  But he is now on Nature's recipe healthy skin formula(vet recommended because it is supposed to be good for allergies)Just dry food :oops:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah had hair loss under her ears, neck and on her chest (but none of the other symptons you noted), this happened while feeding her Canidae.  She is now on a different food (almost 5 months now), but the hair has not all grown back but seems to be a bit better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is pretty much exactly where his hair loss is, do you have a pic of what hers looked like?  what kind of food did youswitch too?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Best bet, is to do an elimination diet.   Is Rice a constant (if skin scrapes came up neg) - like from what you were feeding before and the script diet?  Maybe try going grainless and using fish as a protein source.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome to the forum :D Another brave soul with 3 babies!!! Right now two is my psychological limit, haha. Looking forward to seeing/hearing all about them. Don't know about the skin issues, sounds like all medical has been ruled out so food would be the next logical answer though.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Yes, they aren't the best but here they are:

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum from me and Gaby!....I wish I could offer some advice on Baxter's skin condition, but I've never had to deal with that for any of my boxers, so I'm not much help there....Can't wait to see some pics of all your boxers though :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys for the warm welcome!  I have an appointment with a doggy dermatologist this week so hopefully that will help.  I look forward to talking to everyone about the best dogs around!  Yea it definetly takes a brave soul to have 3 boxers they can be a hand full but the more the merrier they are soo entertaining always making me laugh

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I am of no help to the skin issues, but i do want to welcome you to the forum! i cant wait to get to know all your family :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome to the forum... and I have a question for you. Is he itching a lot or is it just hair loss?! If he's itching... it may be sarcoptic mange. This is what my girl is going through. Apparently, it's hard to diagnose. She has small patches of baldness on her ears & the top of her head b/c she's itching so much. Our vet is using Ivermectin to treat this & she's doing great. Her ears look much healthier. She goes in tomorrow actually for her 2nd & final dose of treatment.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Welcome to Boxer Forums from Jetta, Oscar, and me(Katie)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts