Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm Missy. I'm an avid lover of Boxers. I had my beloved Champ for 10 1/2 years and had to put him down in May due to bone cancer. Last Sunday, I took in a friend of mine's Boxer, as he is in the process of finding a new home. Question.... Jack ( my friend's baby that I'm keeping ) is a great boy. His personality is completely different from my Champ, but he is a great boy. However, he has been kenneled while being left alone due to chewing on the door frame. Lately I have found plastic pieces by his kennel when I get home, so he is also chewing on it. I never kenneled mine, and would prefer to not kennel Jack. His mouth even gets irritated by his chewing. He doesn't chew on anything else. No furniture, shoes, slippers, nothing. Any suggestions how to help him overcome this? Thanks in advance.

Missy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi! I'm Missy. I'm an avid lover of Boxers. I had my beloved Champ for 10 1/2 years and had to put him down in May due to bone cancer. Last Sunday, I took in a friend of mine's Boxer, as he is in the process of finding a new home. Question.... Jack ( my friend's baby that I'm keeping ) is a great boy. His personality is completely different from my Champ, but he is a great boy. However, he has been kenneled while being left alone due to chewing on the door frame. Lately I have found plastic pieces by his kennel when I get home, so he is also chewing on it. I never kenneled mine, and would prefer to not kennel Jack. His mouth even gets irritated by his chewing. He doesn't chew on anything else. No furniture, shoes, slippers, nothing. Any suggestions how to help him overcome this? Thanks in advance.

Missy.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Well first welcome aboard. Second ... it's not your dog, Your friend entrusted him to you, so your first obligation ... is to do no harm. :)

If you don't "continue" to Crate him ... and if he does something stupid, that requires a trip to the vet ... that would be an "uncomfortable phone call to your friend, I would imagine???

Now that said ... there are things you can do, and so you know, if one is dealing with a dog with issues, one of the first steps ... is to "Crate Train Your Dog." :)

So step one is already done, but apparently ... there are issues??? If the dog is chewing up dog frames, when he is alone and left loose I would assume?? Then he's bounced, into another "potential issue." Separation Anxiety" the dog does not how to cope with doing ... "nothing."

Calmness in dogs ... is a "skill" that they can learn. And it is something that you can do, without putting the dog at risk. And for this dog it would start by "feeding him in the Crate," all meals all treats he gets only the Crate.

Right now the Crate cause he some degree of stress. So you need to change his relationship with his crate. That would be a good "start."

I got uh lot's more if you would like, all the background maybe kinda time consuming and tedious if your into details (kinda my thing) but what one actually needs to do ... is fairly simple. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well first welcome aboard. Second ... it's not your dog, Your friend entrusted him to you, so your first obligation ... is to do no harm. :)

If you don't "continue" to Crate him ... and if he does something stupid, that requires a trip to the vet ... that would be an "uncomfortable phone call to your friend, I would imagine???

Now that said ... there are things you can do, and so you know, if one is dealing with a dog with issues, one of the first steps ... is to "Crate Train Your Dog." :)

So step one is already done, but apparently ... there are issues??? If the dog is chewing up dog frames, when he is alone and left loose I would assume?? Then he's bounced, into another "potential issue." Separation Anxiety" the dog does not how to cope with doing ... "nothing."

Calmness in dogs ... is a "skill" that they can learn. And it is something that you can do, without putting the dog at risk. And for this dog it would start by "feeding him in the Crate," all meals all treats he gets only the Crate.

Right now the Crate cause he some degree of stress. So you need to change his relationship with his crate. That would be a good "start."

I got uh lot's more if you would like, all the background maybe kinda time consuming and tedious if your into details (kinda my thing) but what one actually needs to do ... is fairly simple. :)
Thank you for your feedback! I want to do everything I can to help him and make him comfortable. There is a good chance the dog will become mine, and I want him safe and happy. I would never put him in an unsafe environment. That being said, my house is very low key. No kids, other adults or animals. I walk him twice a day regularly and would like him to be safe when I'm not home. Not to mention I would like my house to stay in tact! . So yes, I welcome any and all ideas.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Not to mention I would like my house to stay in tact! .
LOL, well that is always the goal ... for most people. :)

And I/We would like to say "Sorry for the loss of your Boxer, that is always a really a heartbreaking loss but time marches on ...

And yeah ... I kinda sorta ... got the "sense" that this was "maybe, eventually going to be your dog?" Most likely his current owner cares about him deeply ... but not enough to figure out what his issues are?? Or perhaps he did not know where to look for help ... don't know??

But moving on, if your first Boxer did not need a Crate, and was safe in the house, and had no issues being left alone, then you did Great! As far as I am concerned ... not having to Crate your dog when he is home alone ... is the "ideal!"

But believing that such is the case with "every dog???" Is a "trap and could be a serious mistake ... depending on the dog?? I raised my first dogs/puppy and I never used a Crate?? I never saw the need for one?? So when I became a foster fail with my first 7 month old WL GSD, I actually De-Crate trained him??? Yeah ... that was a "mistake" to much "Freedom, lose Structure in the home ... much to soon! Not continuing to Crate him ... would in seven times ... prove to be a ... "trip to the ER for stitches for me (Breaking up pack fights) between him and my American Band Dawg ... no Boxer involvement.

But what I failed to understand at the time ... was that Crate Training a dog, helps to establish, "Rules, Structure and Limitations!" Your situation is actually idea, no other pets and no kids. And I doubt "your" current Boxer is a bite risk??

But for right now ....since he is now under care ...you should proceed as if you don't know him. And he now needs to a new way of being as it were. So ... doing what I do best ... see the first link here,:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

The first link "I just got a rescue" is how you should proceed it has a lot of info but what it leaves out is what I discovered ... the hard way, Crate Training helps to establish "Rules Structure and Limitations!"

Not having to Crate a Dog ... is a goal but to start there ... is a mistake! Been there done that ... it did not work out to well for "me!" There is no need to re-invite the wheel as it were ... just saying. :)

So job one is going to be to get him to "Settle Down" in the Crate! If he was sent to a competent qualified "Board and Train," he would be Crate Trained! And he would not act like a "tool" while in the Crate!

His original owner ... did not do that, so now the task falls to "you." Getting him to be comfortable is his Crate ... needs to be step one. ANd you can proceed from there ie ... "Feed him in the Carte to start." :)

And you'll also "Dog Park" cautions and meet and greet "unknown" dogs on the street cautions! If your dog has a bad encounter with another dog, in some random encounter??? Then you could most likely be dealing with a much different set of uh ... issues???

Pro's don't screw around with strangers dogs! Good enough for them ... good enough for me! My motto is "I don't know you ... I don't know your dog?? You keep your distance, I'll keep me mine, "Thank You very much!"

I don't have the time or patience to fix "issues" in my dogs, caused by some tools dog's, bad behavior ! If anyone here wanted to let their dogs meet mine ... they would need to make an "appointment!

I don't know you?? I don't know your dog?? You keep your distance, we'll keep ours ... "Thank You" is how we rolled! My Struddell in her ten years ... was never attacked about by another dog. That's all I cared about!

Just saying, if your prone to Dog Parking your dog and random "street meet and greets??" And if one of those"random encounters goes sideways??" Your next thread my be ... "My Dog is Leash Reactive" on leash ... what do I do???
You don't need the added hassle ... just saying.

And ... ironically enough ... you've already mentioned the one "big secret" to creating ... "the Dog you want and not the dog you have you have!" :)

You just don't "See" it because, you know ... it can't be that simple?? But one of the the "Secrets to success " is to... "Walk Your Dog!"

I badly underestimated the value of doing that?? And the only dog I had serious ... send you to the ER for stitches for ... is the only dog I did not routinely "WALK!"

Mostly if you work ... and you say it's twice a day so I'm guessing before work and after work?? If that is indeed the case?? Just make the afterwork walks shorter and do more of them for awhile.

A dog dog does not you for exercise but they do need to go on a proper "Structured Walk!" If you don't do anything else ... then at least "Walk Your Dog!"

I'm not a "Pro" but Larry Krohn is! And the one thing that caused me the most confusion, is how I solved my first Oversized Working Line GSD, pack fighting and yeah I don't much care for strangers either issues! Seeming without much effort??

He was bad enough that went he first met "Company and he met them with a "Cold Hard Stare and a Low Rumbling Growl???" I t sent a chill down my spine!!! This was not a BOXER!!???"

But we got it solved! And seemingly ... without much effort?? But we got it solved ns seemingly without much effort??? And it took only a couple took only a couple of things ... that were so "simple" that it took me literally years, to understand what I had done ... seemingly without effort???

Walking him was one and training Place and doing Sit on the Dog were the others! I have links on the last two! And if you have a Dog with "Anxiety issues" those two are what you have to do and train also!

But baby steps, stick with the Crate for now and get him to "Settle Down" in the Crate first! Feed him in "only in the Crate" to start and proceed form there.

And on the walks thing??? Are you using a "real tool???" And that would be most likely a regular leash and collar?? Cause a Head Halter or EZ Walk or other such "Crap!" Is simply not going to work!

Real Dogs ... Dog's whose owners lives are in there dog's hands ... do not use "Crap Like that!" Good enough for them ... good enough for me! OR as I also say "I would not trust a dog trained to walk properly on a Harness ..." to do "anything" reliably!

And yep ... I got more ...but this is a start. So ask questions. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! You are full of great advice! Let me start by saying I was truly blessed by my Champ. I never had the issue of the high strung Boxer. He was a playful puppy that grew into a lovable, well mannered dog. I'm not looking to compare this one with my boy, as their personalities are complete opposites. I agree with you, I'm not a "dog parker". I walked and trained Champ from when I brought him home at 8 weeks and truly, he was a saint. Jack and I have already formed a bond, as I have known him since my friend got him, and that bond has gotten stronger this week. The most important thing to me is his safety, and if that means he stays crated while I'm at work, so be it. Personally, for me, I don't like it. I believe dogs are part of the family and should be treated as such. I wouldn't crate my son so why would I crate my dog? And I raised him to not need to be crated. I will definitely read the information you have provided, because again I don't want him to hurt himself. No, he is not bite prone. He has really learned a lot this past week. He couldn't even walk on a leash with basic obedience when I first brought him home. As concerned as I am about him hurting himself if left out, I'm also concerned about him injuring his mouth from chewing the hard plastic. I read somewhere about some spray that is a determent. Have you heard of this or have any opinion on that? Again, thank you for all of your information and help!

Missy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts