Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello we are new on this forum, but it seems full of useful info  :D We got our puppy Maple 10 days ago and she is now about 14 weeks old, and I can't wait till she gets the rest of the shots in 2 weeks so I can take her for walks outside of our back yard!
She is pretty good and very energetic, she gobbles down her food but I've been reading on here that it's pretty normal.... She also likes to chew on her leg and scratch her "hips" with her teeth, are those things also normal? We don't think she has fleas we've looked several times but found nothing.  She is teething right now some of her baby teeth have fallen out and the permanent ones are coming in, she also likes to chew on her crate, I try to distract her with her toys and it works about 50% of the time.  
One of my main troubles is when I take her out for potty time she gets distracted by EVERYTHING, birds chirping/bus going by/ construction going on blocks away/ neighbors walking in their yard/ everything and anything gets her attention so sometimes potty time takes a while, close to an hour.  Is it really that she is THAT distracted or does she maybe not have to go at that time?  We also have 2 outdoor cats and she very eagerly tries to chase them when she sees them, the other day she got away form my husband and got close enough to one where that one slapped Maple in the face, didn't scratch her just slapped her, I'm just wondering if I should try to introduce her to the cats when I'm holding her or if I should keep her away....
and lastly do all boxer puppies enjoy "galloping or leaping" when she chases a toy she doesn't just run to it she jumps a foot or 2 into the air on her way there, and it's amusing to watch but I don't know if we should somehow discourage all the jumping so that when she if full grown she doesn't leap at things or over fences.
Thanks, excited to be here  :lol:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you dont see any fleas or the vet doesnt... she may have some type of skin allergy.  The next vet visit ask them to check the areas where she is scratching, biting...

Jessie gets very distracted when we are on walks.  If I see someone coming I will walk in the opposite direction or across the street to block her view.  Forget it if its another dog.  Not until the dog is completely out of site does she forget about them.  Is she only jumping with her front feet?  Or does she completely leave the ground?  And is it only with toys?  or does she jump on people?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
her whole body leaves the ground when she is jumping, and when she sees someone or something (like a cat) go by she'll stand in the spot she last saw it for a while as if waiting to see if it'll reappear, she can stand like that for up to 3 mins or so.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the "leaping" is normal :) well at least my Reese does it ALL the time when playing :) Welcome to the forum. I would also think skin allergy if she doesnt have fleas. Cant wait to get to know you and maple!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"82232 said:
Kash leaps like a Deer - the boy just aint right!
LOL!!!  Jessie and Maggie only do the pouncing thing with their front paws... But Maggie is a jumper anyway!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, I guess we'll just let ourselves be amused by her silly behaviors  :lol:   I did upload some pics to our album on here, I don't know how stuff on here works so I don't really know how to link anything....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
in the announcement section there is a sticky on how to post pictures, please send me a pm if you have any additional questions

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to you and Maple! She looks like a cutie!  :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi there! Welcome to you and Maple! I am fairly new here too and have found tons of info! Everyone is great and we all love pics!

You had mentioned "She also likes to chew on her leg and scratch her "hips" with her teeth, are those things also normal?" The hips part caught my attention only because Gus did the same thing about 3 months ago. There was actually a little spot of missing fur. When we went to the vet, we found out he has a skin mite problem (Puppies have a weaker immune system and I hear Boxers can be prone to skin issues)...He was on some pretty heavy liquid meds for about 2 months but it really didn't seem to bother him other than the biting himself every now an then...Now he is as happy as ever.

Not trying to scare you, but for sure, next time you head to the vet, just mention it!

Welcome again!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the tips, we actually have a vet's appointment tomorrow because she has a pimple on her face, looks almost like a human pimple and I've been reading on here that it is possible for them to get acne so perhaps that's what it is.  the dust mite problem actually sounds like it could be our room gets a lot of dust we try our best to get it out of here but the door goes straight to the outside so a lot of dust gets in.
Thanks again for all the tips  :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and Maple form Canada....I noticed you were saying that Maple get distracted easily while waiting to go potty...it also used to take Gaby a good 40 min to go as well because of the slightest distractions, like birds, cars, and so on, but not anymore, now she goes pretty much right away...just give it time and I guarantee she will get better.....Oh and I also have to mention she is sooo cute! :D

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
maple is sooo cute! i love the name! welcome, can't wait to see more pics

1 - 19 of 19 Posts