Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen on CNN News today about Virginias new law about the dangerous dogs breed list. If you own a dog that is on the list you have to; spay/neuter the animal, pay a registration fee of $100, $35 renewal fee annually, get a special dog collar that is the color red and it has "DANGEROUS" printed on it so that when you take them out of your property they will be recognized publicly, and have DANGEROUS DOG sign on your property that has like a drawing of a German Shephard showing its teeth.

It is the pet as an individual, not the breed, and 99% of it is the owners that make a dog the way it is, I just dont understand this stupid law. I noticed boxers are on their list as well and if it is mixed with one that is on there they are to get the same treatment. I think this is just ridiculous. All it is , is that the state is just trying to find a new way of making more money. If i lived there i would tell them to shove off and i wouldnt do any of that crap just because my dogs breed  is on a stupid list. I know i am not the best pet owner out there but i dont make my dog vicious, yeah Zeus has a behavioral issue while he is on the lead and there is a reason behind that but not towards people. They are both the sweetest and playfulest ones when they arent on a lead. There are reasons if a dog is vicious and it angers me that they put it out there just because of a breed of an animal. A little chihauha could be more vicious than the dogs on the lists.

If Texas comes up with this same type of deal, they are going to be writing me lots of tickets and citations because i will not and i refuse to go by these laws.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That is by far one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard of...and the fact that Boxers are on that list.  Since when are Boxers dangerous?!  They better not pass that law in NJ.

·
Registered
905 Posts
In Ireland there are 11 breeds on the "dangerous" list, which means that when they are out in public they must be muzzled, kept on a short lead and cannot be handled by a person under the age of 16.  However, Dublin City Council is currently considering a total ban on all of these breeds being kept in any of their properties (i.e. people living in council houses or apartments will not be allowed to have any of these breeds as pets).  Thankfully there seems to be very little support for the proposal so far, and the DSPCA and ISPCA have publicly denounced it.  The eleven breeds in question are the American Pitbull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa and Bandog and strains and crosses of these dogs.

I have never heard of the Boxer being put on a danger list.  I would advise anyone living in an area where they are listed as dangerous to write to their local government representative asking for a detailed explanation of the factors on which they based their decision.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Ridiculous!! Unfortunately though, Boxers are in the Bully Breed group and that's how they come up with this crap. Did that actually pass, or are they trying to get it passed?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
God i hope it didnt pass!! that is total B.S!!! :protest: I agree with the spay/neuter part- everyone should do that. I can even see the registration to keep track of the increase/decrease of certain breeds, but having to wear a "DANGEROUS" collar?? and BOXERS being on that list???

IN-FREAKIN-SANE~~

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It is truly amazing the things our "elected" officials come up with isn't it..Sadly, it was bound to happen tho..A friend in Arkansas said that there was an article in the news about a boxer attacking a child..A boxer! Tryin got get more info about it, but it's things like that which lead to our precious babies being included in laws like that..Any dog, including a boxer can attack if provoked, we all know that, but a huge part of that has to do with the owner as well. I hate to see this happen and I guess we all will be breaking the law if this continues..I agree that spaying and neuting should be done, but making our babies wear special collars? And have to pay more for the privelege of having one? That is ridiculous. I am sure that the thought is it will discourage people from keeping unsafe dogs, well that ain't going to happen. All it will end up doing is making things worse!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has already passed in Virginia, they showed a couple that had a family pet. They were saying how embarrassingit was for them to have done all of this. It had showed the collar and sign and etc. The dog wasnt vicious at all and it almost looked like a lab and maybe mixed.

So yeah it is already a up and running deal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Boxers may have made the list because of their "ominous" look, which is why some people get them (to deter would be wrong do-ers). Even though they usually won't bite a hot biscuit with butter!! It's just ignorance and prejudice. It is absolutely no different than racism against people. Boxers are a Molossor (may or may not have spelled that right) breed which means they are very closely related to APBTs, Staffodrshire Bulls, etc, that are at the constant center of media attention. Dobermans were under the microscope with the media, then the German shephard, then Rottweilers, and now it's Pit Bulls. It's funny when you consider the Pit is one of FEW breeds that was NEVER bred for dog-human aggression!!! The number of pit bull attacks is actually fewer than lots of other breeds (cocker spaniels, even dalmations. Just search the internet and there's a myriad of info on bite statistics), but the media has such a field day with certain breeds. It's really sad. Even my wife is afraid of having a Pit in our house. But all she's seen is the media out to get them. I can honestly think of no other breed that I would want at home watching my family than a Pit. They love their families so much and would die unquestionably to protect them. But that's not what the media is feeding people. Whatever it takes to shock people and make them watch tv or read the paper. I love pits, dobies, hell all breeds. A dog is only as good as his master. Period. I read a bumper sticker the other day when I was sitting in traffic that had a headshot of a beautiful Pit with a caption that read "If you think I'm a monster, look who's running our country". Not wanting to stir up any political discussion, I just thought that was a good bumper sticker. All I can say is long live the pit bull and every other breed for that matter. The whole BSL thing is bullsxxt and makes me sick when I think of it. Just my .02--Rich

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The VA Dangerous Dog Registry is not breed-specific - state law prohibits BSL In VA.  Any dog or any breed or mix that is found in court to be "dangerous" must be placed on the registry.  There are some serious flaws IMO with the legislation, not least of which is the public availability of the owner's insurance company and policy number and the dog's microchip number.  I'm not sure what list you saw, so can't comment - it may have been an insurance company 'non-insured breeds' list, as Boxers are turning up on those more often lately.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ive had a few people call Roxy vicious lmao even one old man in petsmart when she was 12 weeks old lmao Anyways I hope to god they dont pass that! Its rediculous!! I mean seriously if Boxers are on it then chihuahuas, poms ect ect should be on it! Those little buggers are more dangerous IMO then our boxers!! :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I had friend that had a Rottie and she had a sticker on her car "I love my Rottweiler". When she was in her car;  some people drove by and yelled at her about her killer dog; threw rocks at the car and broke her car window.  She said it looked like two men in their early thirties but she was unable to get their license #.
Can't believe that people are that stupid or destructive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
yeah, the whole thing is just ignorance. all dogs are good IMO. what we as people do with them shapes them for the rest of their lives. Sadly some people abuse the privilage to own an animal of any breed.--Rich

·
Registered
375 Posts
puppysmasher\";p=\"15553 said:
Boxers may have made the list because of their "ominous" look, which is why some people get them (to deter would be wrong do-ers). Even though they usually won't bite a hot biscuit with butter!! It's just ignorance and prejudice. It is absolutely no different than racism against people. Boxers are a Molossor (may or may not have spelled that right) breed which means they are very closely related to APBTs, Staffodrshire Bulls, etc, that are at the constant center of media attention. Dobermans were under the microscope with the media, then the German shephard, then Rottweilers, and now it's Pit Bulls. It's funny when you consider the Pit is one of FEW breeds that was NEVER bred for dog-human aggression!!! The number of pit bull attacks is actually fewer than lots of other breeds (cocker spaniels, even dalmations. Just search the internet and there's a myriad of info on bite statistics), but the media has such a field day with certain breeds. It's really sad. Even my wife is afraid of having a Pit in our house. But all she's seen is the media out to get them. I can honestly think of no other breed that I would want at home watching my family than a Pit. They love their families so much and would die unquestionably to protect them. But that's not what the media is feeding people. Whatever it takes to shock people and make them watch tv or read the paper. I love pits, dobies, hell all breeds. A dog is only as good as his master. Period. I read a bumper sticker the other day when I was sitting in traffic that had a headshot of a beautiful Pit with a caption that read "If you think I'm a monster, look who's running our country". Not wanting to stir up any political discussion, I just thought that was a good bumper sticker. All I can say is long live the pit bull and every other breed for that matter. The whole BSL thing is bullsxxt and makes me sick when I think of it. Just my .02--Rich

VERY WELL PUT!!!!! I couldn't agree more!! Our APBT would lay his life down for us, he also VERY protective of our children. We have this guy that is always walking down our street and he looks a little wierd, he is always "looking" at the children in a way that just doesn't seem right. Numerous parents have expressed how we feel to the local police so they have been watching him, but the other day I was outside while my kids were playing in the back yard with Nash(our pit) and I hear him start to growl and bark and snarl like I h ave never heard him do before, so I come running from the side yard to see this man in my yard by my fence talking to my kids!!!! Nash was standing there infront of my girls growling and showing his teeth to the wako!! I called the police but they didn't get there before he left so now they are on a "stake out".  Sorry this ended up sooo long!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Starr05, I hope that the police catch that guy, I mean as long as he really is a bad person. I cant' stomach people that mess with children. I'd like five minutes with them. They'd never want to touch another child, nor would they be physically able to. Makes me sick. Even those girls gone wild movies advertised on tv are gross. an 18 year old girl is still a child in my opinion. Maybe I'm just behind the times though. maybe your pit will get ahhold of the guy if he comes in your backyard!!! That'd teach him too!!!--rich

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah same here i hope they catch that guy as well. That kind of stuff is scary. I know i would throw down and put him in the ground if someone like that talked to my kids. To me there is no real reason why a stranger should acknowledge a child that they dont know. But that is my opinion.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ehh, I think you may be putting the cart before the horse, guys!  That man hasn't done anything except look a bit strange and you practically have him on the sex offenders register!

I just think it's so sad that people can't even be friendly anymore without wondering how their intentions are going to be seen by others.  An ex-boyfriend of mine had a best friend who was a priest and he used to say that he was afraid to even pat a child on the head or shoulder for fear that the gesture would be misconstrued.

And the really sad fact is that "stranger danger" is far overrated - unfortunately, the vast majority of child abuse is perpetrated by a member of the family.

Obviously I'm not saying that you tell your kids to immediately trust any stranger they come across, but sometimes people are just being friendly!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Unfortunately that's how the world is today. I wouldn't take the risk with my kids either.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It MIGHT have been different if he didn't go by my fence in the BACK yard. Why would anyone go to a back yard of someone you don't know to talk to the children? ANyway, I have not "pu"t him on the sex offenders list, I just think theres something off about him and he should not of came into my yard to talk to my kids. So back to the subject about Dangerous dog breeds.... About amonth ago there was a dog expo that we went to. Our dog trainer told us about it. We went and when we got there, there was a sign that siad NO pit bulls, pit bull mixes or Rottwielers(sp) allowed. Needless to say there were ALOT of PIt bull and Rott owners there so we all"protested", my hubby and I had on our Punish the deed Not the breed shirts on. We were eventually let in!!Its just sad that the media has deemed every dog that is a mix or even resembels a pit to be the "demon"dog! I know there are peoplewho don't like them and never will, thats your opinion,butdon't punish the WHOLE breed because of stupid irresponsible "owners"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts