Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone,

My husband and I welcomed in the New Year with another boxer! We have Maddie who is a small female 4 year old fawn, black mask boxer. And now we have Miller who is a 2 year old male fawn black mask with some white. Miller was a troubled dog and then was with a trainer for over a year who took him in but can not keep him because of work commitments. So I replied to an ad got a call, drove to DC from CT and back with Maddie and brought him home. They get along great:) Only a couple of little bickers but for the most part are perfect for each other. I know there is a adjustment period and my husband and I are home for a week on vacation so it is a great way to welcome him and let them get to know each other!

The trainer had us introduce them in a neutral area (a park in DC), they really hit it off. Miller can be a service dog that is how well he is trained!!! He can let you know when to cross the street and can even ride the escalator! He is teaching Maddie a few things! Then we had a 6.5 hr ride back home. At first they were not laying together but by the end of the trip they were right up against each other. Today went well they went out side which Miller loved since he had no grass in the city and we live in the country and Maddie got territorial a few times over food and toys, which we corrected immediatley. Now they are laying together her in his bed and him in hers. I am a little nervous about Maddie being territorial but i think there is a adjustment period. They play and we make sure thier little nubs are always wagging and after the two little bickers they would give each other kisses so I think everything will be fine:)

Would love any advice you can give on this adjustment period. There are no bones, trainer said none since it can cause a fight. Also when they are together if we pet one we always pet the other at the same time. When Miller was sleeping I made sure to go spend some time with Maddie. We are doing what we can to make sure this adjustment period goes as smooth as possible.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

I will post pics as soon as I get chance, I am so happy I found this site!!

Have a great New Year!!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Congratulations on your new arrival and it sounds like you are doing everything right.  I agree there is an adjustment period and maybe others on the sight can help you out with other suggestions.  In the meantime, good luck and so glad you were able to give Miller a permanent home.  Keep us posted on how things work out.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Congrats on the new addition! Sounds like you are doing a great job with the adjustment...Toys & food are the things that usually will set fights off, so watch those....I used to try to find time to spend with Samson after we brought Angel home(generally in the evening when she was crated)...Samson is Alpha, but despite that he did very well when we brought Angel home....The little spats are to be expected, each is trying to establish their place..Redirecting their attention is a good way to difuse those situations...Maybe take them out in the yard for some catch or something, or a few minutes of basic hygeine, which I do once a week...Clean their ears, wipe their eyes, brush their teeth, etc....Good luck, Miller sound slike an awesome addition...Would love to see pics :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Congratulations, Miller sounds great.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to Boxer Forums! :-h Sounds like Maddie and Miller will become best buds real quick!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Congratulations!  Sounds like a typical male/female relationship...fight...then kiss and make up!  :lol:   Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Congrats on your new baby! We just recently got another boxer also. We have a 4 month old male, and then added a 3 1/2 year old male. There is an adjustment period, but they will be the best of friends with time. Welcome to the forum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts