Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just wanted to say hello to the boxer forum.  I'm a newbie doing research on the boxer breed and I'm very heavily considering getting a boxer puppy shortly.  Thanks for all your info that you've created on this forum.

Garrick

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
WELCOME you definetly wont regret getting a boxer!!! :wink:  Any questions you have just ask away!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know I won't regret it.  I'm trying to do as much research as possible and I'm searching for a reputable breeder here in southern california.  Having a tough time locating one that has a planned litter though.  

Here's a question for you boxer owners... any noticeable difference in temperment or personality between males and females?  Pros and cons for each?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D

I've never had a girl dog, so I can't help you there.  Henry is our first boxer and he is faboo!  We got him from an animal shelter when he was 12 or 14 weeks old (don't remember).  Maybe you could look into shelters or a boxer rescue.

Either way, good luck with your new pup, and we'll help as much as we can! :D

Z

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome from Kiah and I.  I have heard that females are more dominant in the breed but I think it actually depends on the dog.  I believe that California has several rescues for Boxers so you might want to try that.  Kiah is a rescue and I plan to get a second boxer next spring from the rescue.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Kudos to you for first researching the breed before aquiring one. Too many people don't do that and that is one reason our rescues and shelters are just so full.
As far as the female versus the males. I find that the males are much more laid back and also easier to train. I think the females are a lot more stubborn. Ha....can you tell I am owned by a stubborn female!  :p  It very well could be that she was a rescue that I got at 16 months with absolutely no training at all. But, I do still find her to be a lot more stubborn headed than my male ever was!
Good luck in your search, and please consider going the rescue route and helping one of the many deserving boxers just waiting for a loving forever home.  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome and glad that you are doing research first..I've had 2 male/female sets and there are definite differences...My males bonded more to me, were less likely to run and seemed more in tune with me and my feelings. Angel however is more attached to me than hubby, so she's an exception...The females I think are a bit more hardheaded and it takes longer to train, especially house breaking...Angel & I clashed a lot the first few months....

Having said that, I don't feel one is better than the other, it's a personal choice, myself being a female, I prefer males, but I actually like them best inpairs, one of each! Lol...

I believe you said you are in So Cal? Check out LA Boxer Rescue for some great dogs, not puppies, but I recomend for first time boxer owners starting with a rescue, most are housebroken and some have some basic obedience training as well..I got my Tia from there & it's a great org..

http://www.boxer-rescue-la.com/

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome from Sadie and I! It's great the you are doing your research, boxers are a wonderful breed and like many have said, if you end up getting one, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi and welcome from Salt Lake City.  I can't add anything to what has already been said, but just wishing you good luck in finding your new best friend.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hello and welcome!  I have a male and female boxer.  I didn't  get either as puppies and they were already trained so I don't know which would be easier.  I can tell you, in my epierience, that females may be more dominate.  At least mine is.  But I really don't think one is better than the other.  Well, good luck in whichever you chose.  And I agree with everyone here, the rescue is a really good choice.   I got Niko from the Humane Society here in my town and I couldn't be happier.  :D [/quote]

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome!  Great that you are researching before getting a puppy!  Boxers crave attention and being with family so you need time to be with them! They are amazing dogs!

We have had three females and one male.  The females have been more dominate and did fight with each other more than our male/female pair (but that could be because our boy out weighs our female by 25-30lbs  8O ).  Our male is more laid back and easy going.  Our females have been more high strung but one was a rescue and almost a year when we got her.

We potty trained them the same way and I don't think male or female trained quicker or easier.  We just made sure to keep it consistant with when they went out and you always have to keep an eye on them when they are training (and of course there will still be a few accidents)!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hi and Welcome. Just wanted to say I think it's great that your doing research before hand. I have no idea about the male/female sutff because I have only owned females but I will say Chloe is VERY stubborn when she wants to be lol.
Good Luck on your search.  :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hahaha... so MOSt of the consensus is the males are more laid back and the females require a little more "attention".  Thanks for telling me about your experiences!  I've done some searching on Boxer Rescue LA and personally, I wouldn't mind rescuing an older dog.  However, my wife has never owned a dog (let alone a boxer) and would feel more comfortable growing up with a dog from a puppy, even with the added frustration going through puppyhood.  What do you guys think about this?  Good idea or bad idea?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Puppy or older dog is really a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer to rescue an older pup, over a year. It just fits better in my life at the moment. I've got 2 little skinkids at home now, so a puppy would only add more chaos to the mix. By getting an older boxer, they may be housetrained and obedience trained already. Unfortunately Maddie came with neither so it was a challenge.  8O
So, it really just depends on what you are looking for. A boxer puppy is a LOT of work, and requires a LOT of attention and human companionship. If you have the time for a puppy and that is what you are looking for than I say go for the puppy. It's all personal preference!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what Lisa said, I mean I love the puppies, how can you not, but they are a lot of work and boxers do demand a lot from their humans..They are very people orientated dogs and don't do well if left alone for long periods of time...My first boxer, Buck we raised from a pup and boy it was tough, as we both were working, but there are all the funny moments that I have missed with my other ones...So it's a toss up...My suggestion, let your wife interact with some boxers, preferably pups and let her decide which way she wants to go, pup or adult...Also, a boxer isn't considered am adult til they are 3 so if you were to get a 1 yr old, you still will have a lot of the puppy fun to experience :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like I have to find some boxers that my wife can play with.  I figured I needed to do that anyway because she's never interacted with boxers - ever.  Gotta do some searching for some boxers locally.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You may want to call LA Boxer Rescue and talk to them, explain the situation and see what they say...Unless they have moved, they have a play area that you could interact one on one with a boxer..Plus you will see all the babies that need forever homes...Broke my heart, wanted to take them all with me..Altho I would never recomend buying from a pet store(puppy mills), that is actually where I had my first encounter with a boxer pup, played with that cutie for an hour and was sold on the breed, just refused to buy their dog....Just a couple thoughts for you...Hopefully this will help.

Here's another one for you, attend a boxer meetup in your area. They are a great way to see how boxers interact, run  & play..I take Angel to one that is almost 2 hrs from me, but worth it...You would have a chance to talk to other owners and see how much fun they have, plus meet some gorgous boxers...Here's the link, hopefully, since you are in So Cal, there should be one close to you... :)

http://boxer.meetup.com/about/

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
researching before hand is the smart thing to do. I only got my puppy  not even a week ago, a male, and he is a ton of work but worth it. We chose a puppy because my boyfriend had never had a puppy before and I really wanted him to have the experience of it. Also, in our area there were no rescues (they were over 6 hours away and we dont drive) so getting a local puppy was he best choice for us. As others have said it's a personal preference and depends on what fits best into your life..

Be warned tho....male or female, a puppy is a handful!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"32764":ngjw6oew]You may want to call LA Boxer Rescue and talk to them, explain the situation and see what they say...Unless they have moved, they have a play area that you could interact one on one with a boxer..Plus you will see all the babies that need forever homes...Broke my heart, wanted to take them all with me..Altho I would never recomend buying from a pet store(puppy mills), that is actually where I had my first encounter with a boxer pup, played with that cutie for an hour and was sold on the breed, just refused to buy their dog....Just a couple thoughts for you...Hopefully this will help.

Here's another one for you, attend a boxer meetup in your area. They are a great way to see how boxers interact, run

1 - 20 of 21 Posts