Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Puppy foot fetish and other problems. . .

Ok, I never formally intro'd myself or my puppy.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

Both questions are typical puppy. When we got savannah she wouldnt pee while on a leash. she was 2 and had never been on lead before or walked while going. it took me many a walks and lots of time  to get her to go. You have to be persistant with the training. whether it be house training or crate trianing. Luckily with Reese the minute she sees grass she is ready to go- no issues-she just doesn hold it all the time when inside (she is 6 months) the key is being consistant. For you both remember they are still young, they will start to get better as time goes by. Good luck and please keep us posted!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

First off hello and welcome. I am no expert at anything but can tell you what is working for us and our Vega.

Crate training takes a LOT of patience. At the begining we were putting Vega in her crate at our will and not hers. This was a mistake. This made her crate a scary place and not so comforting or enjoyable. Get a hot water bottle and a clock as suggested. While you are home, cut up tiny pieces of treats andhide them in his blanket and scatter them all around in the crate. Make sure you have good smelly treats like Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hi there & welcome, I split your post and started a new thread, you will get more responses that way  :) Chaos, (love the name) is being a typical puppy, but you need to teach him that you are his leader..When you take him outside, I would definitely use a leash. That way the control stays with you, not him..You might want to start carrying treats with you as well, especially at first to get him used to what is expected of him. It takes time and a lot of patience, but boxers are very intelligent, but also a wee bit hard headed as well, so it's a challenge sometimes....You got some great advice about crating, so I am not going to add anything, but read thru all the posts in the puppy section and also the training section, Liz, Lillyzmomma has done a lot of topics that I am sure will be a help to you....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hello..welcome to you and Chaos! Love that name!  :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi!  My first Boxer, who is 22 weeks old, was/is VERY much like that!  I remember, in the dead of winter, picking her up and carrying her back out into the yard every time she ran to the door, while repeating the words "go pee-pee Chloe, go poopie Chloe" and FINALLY after a long time saying "good girl Chloe, you went pee-pee/poopie"(which ever it was).  I understand that having treats in hand is very good.....give one asap when they do their business!  My girl has the worst stubborn streak in her!  She sure does things on her time, and her time only!!  Lots of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome & congrats on the new puppy.
I love the name!!! I'm sure you will find out very soon that that is a PERFECT name for a boxer!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am new here but my advice would be to try not to stress  too much about it, especially when you are waiting for the pup.  Keep focusing when you are home on every hour, plus after naps, meals and play times and keep reinforcing the action positively when you can.  The pup is bound to make mistakes, so negative reinforcement also has its place and lets him know that messes are not for the house.  I wouldn't give too much negative reinforcement with messes in his crate, because their instincts are not to desecrate their "den"  The other thing to consider is thoroughly cleaning all traces of smells from any accidents so he doesn't instinctively mess there again.  Its all a bonding time and he will end up trying to please you.  Be patient and consistent and he will be smart enough to get it right...eventually.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy and welcome!
You've gotten some great advice here.
Another suggestion.  If he is only going out back to go potty, that might have something to do with the problem.  We took Henry out to play in the yard.  We walked him around the whole area, letting him sniff stuff and get used to everything.  That seemed to have put him at ease and he was more willing to "go".  He has even established his own "spots" to go.
Hope that helps.
Zhanna

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice.  Still trying to navigate my way around the site, and didnt notice you split this off.  Cheers.

He is getting a lot better in the backyard, but there cant be any distractions.  I find that either I or Alicia must take him out, not both of us.  If we are both out there I think he associates that with play.  He is also getting more comfortable with his enviroment, and along with this is starting to listen a little less.  He is definiatly getting more curious.  He has also discovered the front window, so when he sees me or Alicia coming home, he sits up there and wags his tail.  However, if he sees someone else, he growls and barks.  Im trying to break that habit, and keep pulling him away from the window and trying to switch his focus to something else.  So far its not working that great.

Cheers
Andrew with Chaos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts