Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone!

What weight range is considered to be healthy for newborns? I know there are plenty of factors that make a healthy puppy, but I'm just curious about what normal weights are for now.

Thanks to anyone who can contribute!

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
Sorry your post hasn’t been answered sooner. I’ve had my hands full with a recent litter and the majority of the members on this forum aren’t breeders so they wouldn’t be able to answer your post.

Weights vary from litter to litter. There are several different factors that contribute to neonate birth weights.

Are you a breeder?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, not a breeder. Just wanting to learn a little more about early puppyhood. :)
Thanks for replying!

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
So to answer your question a little more thoroughly, my puppies typically weigh 18-20oz at birth. Now that’s in a standard litter size of 6-7 puppies and a female that weighs about 65lbs.

My smaller girl’s obviously have smaller puppy sizes (16-17oz). It is rare that I ever have one under the 16oz mark but I’ve had a couple 11-12oz puppies in the past.

Puppy size depends on moms size, the size of the litter, whether or not the puppy had good placental attachment etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts