Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone... I just had Jazzmine spayed on Monday and all was good until this morning when we noticed what looked like blood.  Nervous as could be, I called the vet and they had me bring her in.  The Vet said it was a minor setback and is really no big deal... Is it?  I cannot keep her still and she keeps licking at it--but at the same time, it does not seem to bother her much.  The vet gave me a antibiotic that should help dry it up as well... anything else I should do?  She is my first Boxer and is looking to be one of, if not the greatest dog I have ever had.  I really dont want anything to happen to her.

Thanx

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi,
You can use the lamp shade collar they give you or you can tie a old t-shirt on her.  My boxer kept licking and we had to get some meds for it but it cleared up nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did not give me a funnel (lampshade) and did not seem to think she needed one.  Maybe I am over-reacting.  I just tried the t-shirt thing--she hates it!  oh well... thanx for the reply

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Give her a nice marrow bone to chew on, takes away from the thought of licking the wound  :lol:

**If she keeps at it, then I would call the Vet and ask for the lamp shade thing.  Its hard to keep them still, they are boxers after all:)   Hope she hells up good and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely try to re-direct her from it, which sometimes I realize is hard, cos Boxers are pretty determined when they want to be..Keep an eye on the incision tho, a little spotting I believe is normal, it's been soo long since I have dealt with that I'm not sure tho...It's best I believe also to let it "air" it helps things heal better....Good luck and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Also apply some warm compresses to it several times a day for 10 minutes.  That will help bring the swelling down on it and promote interior healing.  Run hot water and wet a washrag with it and wring it out.  It should be only warm enough that is doesn't burn your hands when you hold it.  

Nano

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You can buy the lamp shade at your local petco or petsmart!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Also, you need to really restrict her activity for two weeks.  Short leash walks only and keep her from jumping on to furniture, people etc.  That makes the swelling worse and can tear the stitches.  It's work, but very important to do.  Also to keep the licking of it to a minimum.  The compress should help with that.  You can also brew up some green tea and use that for the compress liquid.  It has an extra healing effect.  You might also try using goldenseal tincture (available at a health food store or maybe GNC) on the sutures.  She might not like that taste and it is antibiotical and won't hurt her if she licks on it.

Nano

1 - 8 of 8 Posts