Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Chasing people and cars, electronic collar???

I have a boxer. His name is Duke. He is 7 months old and he likes to jump, nibble, and chase people. He is very hypergenic. I am just curious about how to get him to stop nibbling, chasing people, and jumping on people.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Check the stickys, Liz has posted a bunch of information that is really helpful.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Honestly, the hyperness is typical boxer, however regular exercise can curtail that.  Also I am a big one for training classes.  Even at 7 months if he has has no formal training, try enrolling him in doggie school.  Here they will teach you your basic manners and you will find you are not alone in the manners department.

Petssmart offers great intro or beginners classes.  Its also good for socialization and give the pup confidence.  Good Luck:)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

Sounds like normal puppy stuff to me.

If he bites, say "No bite!", then give him something else to chew.  When he jumps, tell him no and to sit.  And deffinately go to puppy training class! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi  it does sound typical puppy stuff, the boys get very wired if they don't get enough excercise they are just 2 days from being 6 months old.They both like to nibble gently on hands and toes. I have been around my older sister's various boxers for many years even though I am fairly new boxer owner. There are alot of very good owners and and trainers and at least one vet on the forums. My wife is a MAJOR research type we have been utilizing clicker training also, Good luck!
 mic,[email protected]'sdadrr

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i wish you the best of luck, sounds like you got lots of good advice. neither of my girls nibble or bite, and they only jump if i ask for lovins then they give me hugs

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's pretty typical behavior actually, but the sooner you stop it, the better off you will be, what's cute as a puppy isn't so cute with a full grown boxer...Angel still occasionally will nip at my hands when she's following me, and she has been the hardest to break..Buck, I had stopped from doing that in just a few days and Tia was just as easy...Obedience classes are a must and you need to be consistent in whatever you do, which also means practice!! Keep sessions short and make them fun...The jumping is a hard one, Angel loves to do that, but it's getting better, I found it's best to just turn your back and walk away, ignore the bad behavior. I'm not a big fan of the knee in the chest thing, never seemed to work...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts