Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 week old male puppy. The family just loves him. Unfortunately, my wife and i work first shift so the puppy sleeps all day. Then when we want to go to sleep at night, he sits and yelps like hes being run over. At one time i would carry him to bed and hed sleep all night. But i know that this a bad habbit to get into. He has a little carrier in his pen to sleep in with his favorite blanket and all his toys for comfort. Unfortunately the wife and I have talked about getting rid of him. :cry:  I dont want to do that to my wife this is her baby please help me? Any input would be greately appreciated     ........Rick

·
Registered
616 Posts
You may want to try to take him for a quick walk before bedtime just to exhaust him.  I think the rule of thumb is 5 minutes for every month old the puppy is.  Is there someone there during the day or that visits him that can keep him awake for a little while?  

I also used a sound machine when both of mine were little.  There was a heartbeat on it and it helped them to fall asleep.  My machine has a timer on in and shuts off after 1 hr.  

Keep in mind, most of the time, it is a phase they go through.  I would try not to get in the habit of doing something you don't want to carry through with for the rest of their lifetime.  Bad habits are hard to break if not impossible!!

Good luck and have patience.  Your puppy needs a good and loving home.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh the joys of having a puppy...I remember it well.,I went thru the same thing with Buck when I brought him home & he was the same age. The crying doesn't last long, but it does get on your nerves for sure. Definitely, whatever you can do to tire the little guy out before he goes to sleep is to your benefit. Give it a bit more time, the rewards are worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I feel your pain! I have two new puppies..Liyah is (4months) and Luke is (1months)...when i first came home with Liyah..she was our first ...she cried so badly! I put a blanket over her cage, and brought a alarm clock with the ticking sound...like mom2scout&gunner, it a smoother for them, and it really works! your baby just needs time to adjust to his new home, just give him time!! Good luck.

Mommy To Liyah(4months), Luke(1 months)

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Definitely take him out and play with or go for a nice walk to help tire him out. They need to adjust and learn.

If he sleeps good when you bring him in and put him on the bed, why not put his crate in the bedroom with you guys? Part of his crying could be because he's alone. Putting his crate close to you where he can see and hear you might do the trick.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
My pup is five months old and would still sleep all day if I let him!  I have to make him wake up and play during the day, otherwise, he thinks our bed time is his play time.

I'm not sure what first shift is.  If it is during the day, maybe a neighbor kid can play with the pup after school or something.  Also, when you get home, make it party time baby!  Play, run, bark, have fun.  Then when it's bed time, he should be more ready to stop.

Hope this helps.
Zhanna

1 - 7 of 7 Posts