Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I'm Helen and have just got my first puppy. Harvey is 9 weeks old and I’ve had him for a week.

I am DESPERATE for help and advice but have quite a few different issues so I’ll post individually, the first and most important is overnight - I need to deal with this for my sanity!!!

I have stayed downstairs with him every night so far and he was initially waking every 2 hours, I played with him for about 30 mins then he’d go back in his bed. For the past 2 nights he has been sleeping for 3-4 hours.

I have a pen with a crate around it in the kitchen and have been putting him in this with the pen door open for 5-10 mins several times a day. He whines, barks and even howls. I have told him to be quite and he is very good with this command so I reward him and then he comes out. This has been while I’m in the kitchen.

I moved on to going into another room. The advice I read was to wait until the noise subsided before letting him out. Well the noise doesn’t stop and when I do go to him, he is really distressed and anxious. Hiccuping and just needing massive cuddles.

I have been putting toys inside the pen with his bed and a wee pad and food and water outside in the crate area but am now thinking (as he tipped both bowls over in his distress) so will give him his last feed at 10.30, let him go to the toilet then put him to bed.

So now I’m completely torn as I need to sleep in my own bed but there is so much conflicting advice out there and it breaks my heart seeing him so upset.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Love Helen

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have had 6 boxers now and I have put them to bed with me at night. Puppies are just like children they don't like being alone. I made a big area on the upper part of the bed with pillows so the puppy couldn't get out of it and usually they will sleep under my neck or against me when they start squirming at night I knew they had to go out and took them out usually two times over night. I didn't want my dogs growing up frightened and insecure and I did that with all of them as they got older them moved to the dog bed on my bedroom floor (sometimes still on the bed). I know there is a lot of advisors out there that will tell you not to start the bed thing but I just feel like its more comforting to the dog and you don't have to listen to them scream all night. I never have used puppy pads I feel like it teaches them its ok to go in the house so I just do the regimented outside they have to poop every time they eat and pee more often so you just have to learn the signs when they are going to go. They will almost always pee when they wake up so take them right out. A lot of times puppies get confused as to where they are supposed to eliminate so I would always make sure I left some of their poop in the yard where I wanted them to go and they learn very quickly that's it. I am not saying its easy it takes persistence but I have never had a problem housebreaking. With some diligence now it really pays off later and the puppy stage doesn't last forever but its a lot of work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had 6 boxers now and I have put them to bed with me at night. Puppies are just like children they don't like being alone. I made a big area on the upper part of the bed with pillows so the puppy couldn't get out of it and usually they will sleep under my neck or against me when they start squirming at night I knew they had to go out and took them out usually two times over night. I didn't want my dogs growing up frightened and insecure and I did that with all of them as they got older them moved to the dog bed on my bedroom floor (sometimes still on the bed). I know there is a lot of advisors out there that will tell you not to start the bed thing but I just feel like its more comforting to the dog and you don't have to listen to them scream all night. I never have used puppy pads I feel like it teaches them its ok to go in the house so I just do the regimented outside they have to poop every time they eat and pee more often so you just have to learn the signs when they are going to go. They will almost always pee when they wake up so take them right out. A lot of times puppies get confused as to where they are supposed to eliminate so I would always make sure I left some of their poop in the yard where I wanted them to go and they learn very quickly that's it. I am not saying its easy it takes persistence but I have never had a problem housebreaking. With some diligence now it really pays off later and the puppy stage doesn't last forever but its a lot of work!
Thank you so much for your reply. I absolutely don't want Harvey in my bed hence the reason I have spent 7 nights on the sofa but I'm exhausted.

I have been persevering with the toilet training and spend way too long outside with nothing but the second I take him in (it gets cold at night) he poos on the floor :( but I won't give up. I only put the pads down to try and eliminate all the poos on the carpet but its like 25% on the pad and 75% on the carpet!!!!

Thanks again x

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well I won't be much help here, I lasted a day with the barking over night before I said "Fine, just get into bed." lol

Two people I know who crate trained from start had 2 totally different experiences. One the pup took right to it and never made a sound. The other the pup didn't settle down for about 2 weeks. I don't know if they did anything different, but I know some of it is going to be out of your control and it will just be on the pup. Hopefully someone here who crated right from the start could give you some pointers. Good luck

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Good Morning,

I'm Helen and have just got my first puppy. Harvey is 9 weeks old and I’ve had him for a week.

I am DESPERATE for help and advice but have quite a few different issues so I’ll post individually, the first and most important is overnight - I need to deal with this for my sanity!!!

I have stayed downstairs with him every night so far and he was initially waking every 2 hours, I played with him for about 30 mins then he’d go back in his bed. For the past 2 nights he has been sleeping for 3-4 hours.

I have a pen with a crate around it in the kitchen and have been putting him in this with the pen door open for 5-10 mins several times a day. He whines, barks and even howls. I have told him to be quite and he is very good with this command so I reward him and then he comes out. This has been while I’m in the kitchen.

I moved on to going into another room. The advice I read was to wait until the noise subsided before letting him out. Well the noise doesn’t stop and when I do go to him, he is really distressed and anxious. Hiccuping and just needing massive cuddles.

I have been putting toys inside the pen with his bed and a wee pad and food and water outside in the crate area but am now thinking (as he tipped both bowls over in his distress) so will give him his last feed at 10.30, let him go to the toilet then put him to bed.

So now I’m completely torn as I need to sleep in my own bed but there is so much conflicting advice out there and it breaks my heart seeing him so upset.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Love Helen
Welcome to the forum Helen & Harvey.
I always crate train and its a long time before I trust them enough to get on my bed.
First feeding is on a schedule. For a very young 8 week old I feed 3x a day 6 am, noon and 5. I eliminate the noon feeding when after about a week they turn their nose up at one of the meals.
Puppy is kept in the crate and I use a divider so that he has enough room to stand and lay down, otherwise they will just go to the furthest part and eliminate. A lot of his time the first weeks are spent in the crate and not free roaming. When on floor in only kitchen area where its easy to clean up. Always use an enzyme cleaner as it will eliminate orders which will rea attract puppy to area. (something like simple solution). First thing in morning take puppy outside, just carry him out and I always use a leash to one area of yard and just walk him around or stand there until he eliminates, as he does say good potty. When he does bring him immediately inside and feed him. Take that time to give him some attention and play a bit but not very long as within 20 minutes he should need to go again. Repeat to same area on leash and give the command potty, and lots of praise when he does, some even give a treat. My dogs have been praise trained. Then give him a very short time inside and back to crate. You may need to cover crate to help him settle and stay quiet. IN an hour repeat the potty, few min out to play so he doesn't associate potty with having to go immediately into crate and really it doesn't need to be long. and back in crate. Repeat this process throughout the day. As you learn his schedule you can begin to increase the times you go out to potty. For instance if your taking him out on the hour and he doesn't go, put him back into his crate and repeat about half and hour later) if he doesn't go then repeat until he does. He will soon associate going out to potty gets him time out of the crate . It won't take more than two weeks before he is learning to hold it until you take him out. But remember he is a pup and the more he moves the sooner he will need to potty, with for his signals, beginning to squat or go in circles pick him up and say outside potty. We did this when we had ours and maybe the first 3-4 days he would start to p and we would grab him and take him out. He never ever messed in the house. He actually used his crate every night till he was about 2, then he wasn't chewing on furniture and such. We gave him free run of the house but we did that in steps too, maybe we were outback alone for 15 min, came in saw he didn't destroy anything, so he got to stay out. WE recently lost him but he was the best boy ever. Those first few weeks are crucial in training. During the night only take him out if you hear him stirring or make yourself a schedule but increase the time (not every hour). I'd go to about 2-3 at first but soon that will be over and he will sleep during the night, and maybe just take him 1x in the middle of your sleep until you feel he can hold it, again shouldn't take all that long. But no play during night, just out to potty and back in crate. If the crate is too far from your room put it next to your bed, this will reassure him too that you are there. Boxers are really easy to housebreak. But the first 2-3 weeks you will certainly be sleep deprived. LOL

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
Huge crate trainer here.

Place the crate in your bedroom beside your bed. Do not talk to him when you place him in the crate, simply put him in it and close the door. Then get in bed and turn off the lights. If he fusses, simply drop your hand to let him know you are there and then remove it. Ignore him

He might scream bloody murder but every night will get better. At 9 weeks, I would only get up once in the night to let him out to potty. Then when he has gone, immediately place him back in the crate and go back to bed. By 11-12 weeks, he can sleep throufh

Your post said that he gets up every 2 hours and then you take him out and play for 30 min. All you are doing is rewarding unwanted behaviour.

Remove water by 8pm, that way his bladder should be pretty empty by bedtime.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Hm, well ... I'm much better at De-Crate training than I am at Crate Training?? That did prove to be a mistake once, but that's another story. But you do seem to have gotten good advice from those who do Crate Train.

I would add this however and I have never done it but it look's like a pretty good idea .. for more "problematic cases." :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts