Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally she is here.  I have been ready for her to get her here for a while now.  For those of you who don't know the story my brother is moving to Guam and cannot take his dog with him so she is coming to live here with me.  I have been waiting a while to get her here so that I can give her the care adn training she needs.  Don't get me wrong, my brother loved this dog but financially wasn't able to care for her properly.  She is 9, I believe she is a flashy reverse brindle...you can correct me if I am wrong.  

She got here a couple of hours ago and since she has been here I have given her a bath and cleaned her ears.  I tried to trim the claws but she gave me a tough time so I will have the vet do them for me.  We have an appointment tomorrow afternoon for a yearly exam, heartworm test, any shots needed and pre-dental blood work.  Her teeth are horendous.  She actually has a hole all the way through one tooth.  My bro was feeding her dog chow and alpo dry food so I am slowly switching her over to Chicken soup large breed.  I figure being a senior she could use the glucosamine and condroitin.  I am taking her to the petstore tomorrow after the vet to get her a new collar.  

Its going to take her a while to get used to our schedule.  She really didn't have one with my brother and she was left alone a lot.  He has had her for 7 years and couldn't tell me how she does on walks because they never took any. Its going to take me a while to get used to her energy.  Our last dog was a greyhound and he was so laid back and slept 23 hours a day.  She finally settled down a bit and is laying down by my feet.  

And without further ado....Here is Nita!

·
Registered
882 Posts
awww Nita is a beautiful girl!....sounds like she will be getting all the care and attention she deserves, although I'm sure your brother meant well it just sounds like he didn't have all that much time to look after her.....As for her coloring she is a black masked brindle....congrats to you, I'm sure you will have a great time with her!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Aww...she is very sweet!  Welcome, Nita!

She looks dark brindle to me...but, I am not sure she is a reverse...someone else will have a better idea then I would! :)

As for the nails...you might wanna check into a dremel...it's a much easier way to file their nails down without so much trouble...

I'm sorry to hear about her teeth...poor baby...the good food and good care will be a big help!

Boxer are VERY smart...she will respond beautifully to training!  I'm glad she is going to get the care and attention she needs!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
She is lovely....Not a lot of gray for her age either...I highly recomend going with Glyco Flex, depending on if she has any arthritis issues, would depend on what stage to get...I have Samson on Glyco Flex 3 which is for advanced arthritis or older working dogs(which Boxers are)....Depending on the damage to her teeth, the vet may or may not want to do anything, I know my vet feels with Samson's age(11), it wouldn't be a good idea to do any work as they do have to be put under...So, ask a lot of questions and if you need any help with any issues, let me know....So happy Nita is getting some love and attention, she needs it :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
what a lovely little senior girl!! Do i see a senior girlfriend for Samson willow?? :lol: I mean i know Isis has her eye on him, but Nita is a little closer in age for him ;)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What a sweet girl!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
what a beautiful girl!! kudos to you for taking care of her! sounds like you guys are going to be busy getting to know each other. can't wait see more pics and hear about her progress.congrats!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
She is so pretty, doesn't look like she is 7.  Sounds like she is going to have a lot better care with you and so glad she you are taking care of her.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually Nita (who has earned the nick name Nita Bonita Chaquita Banana) is 9years old.  You would never guess.  We just got home from the vet and she is healthy.  The vet listened to her heart and it sounds good.  They did her heartworm test as well as a full blood panel to check her organs for pre-surgery.  They also took a fecal sample.  We should have all the results back tomorrow.

The vet looked at her teeth and the hole in her tooth is actually from really bad regressing gums.  Its actually the roots of her teeth showing.  The doctor thought she would probably lose her premolars but the rest should be ok but they will know more once they can get a better look when she is under.  

I asked about her weight.  I thought she looked a little ribby but the doc said she is ok and is very well muscled but is curious to see how she does with a better diet and exercise.  She would rather have a senior dog on the leaner side than overweight.

She is settling in nicely.  Her crate is right next to my bed and she whined a little last night but settled right down.  She has been out and about with me today and likes riding in cars.  She is a sweet heart and quite the cuddler.

·
Registered
362 Posts
"Our last dog was a greyhound and he was so laid back and slept 23 hours a day."

Me too!  STILL trying to get used to the difference in energy levels.  My greyhound could get wound up and tear off around the yard occasionally, but then he'd be pooped for the rest of the afternoon.  Not Cooper...  Looks like you've got a sweet girl there.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Nita is a beautiful senior!  :D  She looks awesome for a 9 year old. Her weight looks great too. Good luck with everything, I am sure she will be very happy with you!  :D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
What a beautiful girl, I love dark brindles. Sounds like she is getting the needed attention and care that she deserves, I'm sure your brother meant well though. Glad to hear she has a clean bill of health, and no, she doesn't look 9 at all!  :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
Oh Nita is so pretty! Good for you for taking her and giving her all the love and care she needs! She looks like a sweetheart!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad to hear the vet visit went well. I have to agree, keep her a bit lean, believe me it is soo much better on the joints...Sounds like she's settling in great, that is awesome...She is such a pretty girl, yup my Samson is smitten :) But don't worry Isis, Samson says you are still number 1  :) What a flirt he is  :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts