Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site through google and was amazed at the information here. I can use help in finding a breeder of what will hopefully be my new family member. I have contacted a number of breeders who are members of the NJ Boxer Club and spoken to a few. Triwin Boxers, Erin Boxers, and El Encanto Boxers. Also, last weekend my family and I went to see Rick Tomita at Jacquet Boxers to look at his dogs. We are looking for a plain fawn male or female with no intention to breed or show. We met a 5 month old female at Jacquet that we fell in love with, but they wanted $3000 or $2000 if we would breed her once. This was way more than we wanted to spend and we really don't know where we will be in 2 years from now. We would like to have another child and don't want to contract ourselves into something we might be sorry about. When I asked one of the breeders about health certifications I was told that all the puppies are cleared by a vet and have a 2 year warranty, but said they didn't do any further testing. I was told that its a waste of money since the test is only as good as the dog on that day. Its like someone having a physical today with no problems and then dropping dead in a week of a heart attack. She did say that there is a genetic test now for cardiomyopothy (sp.) which she does have done. Thoughts???

Does anyone know of any other breeders in NJ or the Philadelphia areas? Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I was told that its a waste of money since the test is only as good as the dog on that day. Its like someone having a physical today with no problems and then dropping dead in a week of a heart attack.
While it's true that a Holter monitor will only give you information on the dog during that 24-hour period, if that dog is throwing 20,000 VPCs (abnormal heartbeats), that's a very significant finding!

The other recommended testing - most notable auscultation/Doppler for Aortic Stenosis - is definitive after two year of age; a dog clear at two will remain clear. Same goes for hip x-rays.

She did say that there is a genetic test now for cardiomyopothy (sp.) which she does have done.
The DNA test is for one particular mutation that is associated with ARVC ("Boxer Cardiomyopathy") - it was just made available in May of this year. However a dog that is clear of this particular mutation is not at this point considered clear of all possibility of the disease; there are seven genes which cause the condition in humans so it is not unlikely that there will be more than one gene in Boxers. From the answers above, I suspect that particular breeder will take a clear result to justify not doing any further testing, despite the fact that the lead researcher has exhorted us to keep holtering even the clear dogs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Myself personally, if you are looking for a pet pup, that is way too much money to spend..I'm also leery of co-ownerships for breeding purposes as well...I'm still of the opinion that health testing should be done, only as a precaution and also as a possible heads up to any issues you possibly could be facing down the road..I agree with what Jennifer said, even a clear result from the ARVC still needs to be followed up with the Holter, this is all still very new, not enuf data to really know a lot, hence the reasoning behind continuing to Holter

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
If you are not interested in show or breeding perhaps you would consider going to a rescue, there are so many great dogs that need forever homes. One of the great things about rescues is that they will help match a dog to your life style. Best of luck in your search.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Please don't leave out half deal that Rick Tomita made you for co-ownership with the right to breed back. Too start you dogs must be at least two years of age but it is when you are ready to breed that Rick will do it, your dog could be two or four its your choice. Rick will pay for all that's all breeding costs for the bitch and her pups. Except he will not pay for the tail docking declaring or for the shots on one puppy that is because you get to keep him/her for letting Rick breed back with your bitch. So let's look at the price again 2000 dollars and your getting a puppy now and another one two or three years later from one of the best breeders in the boxer world. As everyone on this board knows boxers in the NY/NJ area cost more than most of the country but for a 1000 dollars a pup that don't sound to bad to me. One last thing when you need advise Rick is just a phone call away and he always has time to talk.
Ryan Walsh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ryan,

Yes that is right about the co-ownership, and I was very impressed with Rick and his dogs. I understand that he is one of the top breeders in the world as evident by all of his champions and fantastic line. My only problem is, I don't think he is the right breeder for my family at this time. While I might enjoy the experience and joy of breeding a dog, my wife was no at all interested. I understand why his dogs are priced higher than most, but for us and our situation, it was a little much. I would have nothing but praise for Rick, the great job he is doing breeding awesome Boxers, and the genuine interest he took in trying to accommodate my family. I would recommend him to anyone seeking a Boxer as he has the most beautiful healthy dogs, and like Ryan said, is always available to talk. If, in a few years, I can convince my wife to take another Boxer, he will be my first call. Maybe at that time we would be able to take a female that we could breed back into his line.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't live in your area, and I have no clue who Rick is. Might be a standup guy, but that's only an opinion. I guarantee you there are people that love and hate the guy. If he doesn't do any health testing, do yourself a favor and save your money! Gotta agree with the others, if you just want a pet, check the rescues in your area if you don't wanna spend alot of money. Sounds like dogs cost a pretty penny in your area.

P.S. The statement champion bloodline really makes me chuckle. If you could see some the dogs that people proclaim are from champion bloodlines in my area. My favorite is the pickup truck I've seen that has a champion **** on the side of his cage and the ol roy sticker beside it!

·
Banned
132 Posts
Your right people either love you or hate you. Rick Tomita own's Jacquet Boxers and well as own's J and B pet supplies. He has breed over 250 champion boxer in the US as well many more around the world, has been awarded the ABC breeder of the year more than any other breeder, and has been doing it for well over thirty years. He does test his boxer, that is not who the first post was talking about. I know of three of his dogs that lived to be 16 years my dog Bismarck sire was one of them.
Ryan Walsh

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm also leery of co-ownerships for breeding purposes as well.
Co-ownerships can be as good or as bad as the people entering them, and just as varied! The typical co-ownership arrangement for a bitch is the buyer pays a reduced price for a show/breeding prospect puppy, and the breeder gets a puppy back - free - when the bitch is bred. The buyer gets to keep or sell the rest of the litter as they choose. Basically it's as if the breeder is pre-paying for the puppy at the time the bitch is purchased. There are variables and other factors - sometimes it's two puppies back, sometimes the bitch is free, sometimes the breeder pays or splits costs associated with the breeding, sometimes the breeder and buyer split the litter, etc. - all highly customizable to fit the situation and comfort levels of all involved parties.

has been awarded the ABC breeder of the year more than any other breeder
Just to clarify, as I'm sure Rick would rather the correct information be 'out there': The American Boxer Club does not give a "Breeder of the Year" award. (The AKC does, but no Boxer breeder has won that award.) What the ABC does give, and what Rick has won or tied numerous times, is "Kennel Making the Most Champions" and "Kennel Breeding the Most Champions".

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The past year and a half I have been searching for the perfect health tested reputable breeder puppy to add to my family. I found LOTS of breeders throughout the country that are thousands of dollars less. You can find a pet puppy from a reputable breeder for less than $1000, so $3000 makes me sick to think someone would charge that much.

AND

Even if boxers are expensive in that area... it doesnt mean u have to get them from that area. I just got a puppy from a fabulous breeder in Oklahoma... 12 hours away from me. BUT TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

Im sure heather has and will help u out... I wouldnt have wrigley w/o her

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I am not sure if we are too late to reply. We have a boxer from Erin Boxers, we named him Nero, he is a reverse brindle. He is not show quality, one of his nuts didn't drop (whatever, happily fixed at 6 months). He is a really great dog. He is a bog boy though! He is not fully filled out and weights 70 pounds. He is tall too. We live in NYC and people always comment on how beautiful he is. We had a boxer from a backyard breed before him (we were in college and didn't know any better). You can really see the difference between that and a dog that comes from a breeder who shows. His coat and weight/height scale are really nice. I can't remember how much we paid for him but we thought it was a lot too. The breeder gave a 2 year health guarantee which made us feel comfortable. I would say the only negative thing is Nero seems to have more typical boxer issues, like sensitive stomach and he was VERY hyper as a little puppy but has calmed down now. Our last boxer had a tank stomach and was very calm, but again he was from a backyard breeder and not very 'boxer' (he was sweet like all boxers).

Reply to this if you want to see pictures of him. Good luck on your search.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello everyone! I am new here. We have 4.5yo brindle male and planning to add a a girl from Erin boxers, show prospect. Anyone used them before?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I dont know anything on Erin boxers. However I saw their site - very vague and it names them at one of the Top US boxer breeders. :ROTFLMAO: - ok. ha ha.

However like I normally say you cannot judge a breeder by their website - you should be ESPECIALLY if your are getting a show prospect find a breeder that is actively envolved in their local boxer club as well as involved in the show ring. Also should look at the contract on the co-ownership because many and most good show breeders always put their best show prospects on somekind of co-ownership. The ones that dont, require more research and a somewhat of a half red flag in my book - esp if you are new to showing.

http://www.newcastleboxers.com/breederquestions.shtml

The above link is a good starting point to find out if this breeder is ligit or not. The main idea for showing a dog is to evalute breeding stock. If you dog has not come from health tested parents, then that would raise a red flag esp if you are paying big bucks for the pup.

There are lack of qulaity show homes I do belive in the US. So you are in a good situation when it comes to choosing a breeder. When you are thinking of putting the time, effort and money into a show dog, IMO is always best to make sure you are getting the best dog out there, not one that is just labled "show". What are its strong points, its weeks, and what deems this puppy as a show prospect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am part of the saucon valley boxer club and I have purchased a dog from Erin's Boxers, they (Jack and his wife) are great people and are Part of the NJ Boxer Club or Eastern Boxer Club. Harley is 5 1/2 years old now and he is awesome! you can get some more info from my club website www.sauconvalleyboxerclub.com. Joe, who is part of Triwin Boxers www.triwinboxers.com is a club member who has been breeding for over 50 years, he is a great guy. Jacquet Boxers are well known boxers in the boxer world, but i have had no personal expereince with him, but i see his dogs all over the show ring.

As for the price of the dogs, yes you are going to pay more $$ from one of these breeder's but, people like Jack and Joe breed because they respect the breed and are passionate. Breeders who are part of clubs and follow the rules, give you a piece of mind when you purchase a dog and will always be around to answer questions and help out. Buying from a breeder, they do health tests, properly nurish the dog while pregnant and do all the proper health tests throughout the entire pregnancy and birth of the puppies. Plus you will get a history of the lineage of your puppy.

Buying a dog from a local pet store or somewhere else like a puppy mill for a cheaper price supports a broken business where they only care about the dollar and not the breed. Health is not guarenteed and you will probably spend more money in the lifetime of the dog than buying from a breeder.

DO research and become educated before buying a boxer. feel free to contact me if you have any quesions.

Mike
[email protected]
www.sauconvalleyboxerclub.com
www.triwinboxers.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
also, i want to say that Harley is a brindle male, who i showed myself for about 3 years. his pedigree is mainly from Jacquet and Arriba Tailsman (Ted Fickus) lines. Arriba Talisman Boxers

He has great tempermant, great with our 2 year old and never had any health issues. We also rescued a boxer from the nj boxer rescue. Her name is Bella, she is a white deaf boxer with one blue eye. She is also a great dog, but from improper breeding she has arthritus in her back, and had health issues and we have ended spending more $$ on her than we have spent on harley. We love Bella, but her quality of life has been determined by irresponible breeders and it is sad. Only if they can see her now, she loves life and is living the life a dog should live. Harley and Bella are great together.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found this site through google and was amazed at the information here. I can use help in finding a breeder of what will hopefully be my new family member. I have contacted a number of breeders who are members of the NJ Boxer Club and spoken to a few. Triwin Boxers, Erin Boxers, and El Encanto Boxers. Also, last weekend my family and I went to see Rick Tomita at Jacquet Boxers to look at his dogs. We are looking for a plain fawn male or female with no intention to breed or show. We met a 5 month old female at Jacquet that we fell in love with, but they wanted $3000 or $2000 if we would breed her once. This was way more than we wanted to spend and we really don't know where we will be in 2 years from now. We would like to have another child and don't want to contract ourselves into something we might be sorry about. When I asked one of the breeders about health certifications I was told that all the puppies are cleared by a vet and have a 2 year warranty, but said they didn't do any further testing. I was told that its a waste of money since the test is only as good as the dog on that day. Its like someone having a physical today with no problems and then dropping dead in a week of a heart attack. She did say that there is a genetic test now for cardiomyopothy (sp.) which she does have done. Thoughts???

Does anyone know of any other breeders in NJ or the Philadelphia areas? Thanks for any assistance.
We hnave been breeding boxers for over 40 years, and have Jacquet in our pedigree. We currently have one classic fawn female left of a litter of 6. She is ARVC negative, and both parents passed Echo and Holter tests. Email me at [email protected]. Dave Smola, Ronin Boxers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts