Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don’t want to sound racist or nothing but I bought this boxer about 2 months ago and at first he was depressed because he missed his other dog brother and sisters and his mom and dad. Plus his human guardians that are white people. Since I had the dog he has been given the run of the house he has play area his own clean kennel. All the toys he desires the best puppy food money can buy. I have stayed on top of his vet visits and shots. He had an emergency I rushed him to the vet hospital. He is treated very well from me and my wife we are young black couple. Hard-working people that don’t live off handouts but works jobs everyday and bust our butts for ourselves and the boxer pup.

Our issues:
About three weeks ago the dog started to growl and get crazy and started to bite us. We ask the vet and she said ‘ he was in the biting and teething stage’ but my issue is this I notice when white people or random strangers come by he will run up to them and act a certain way and then he want bite them. It’s like he respects all white people but when black people come he will go up to them and let them rub him but he will growl and start to bite at them viciously like he does us.

My Question

Is it possible to teach a boxer puppy in his earlier stages of life to hate black people? By shouting and showing puppies pictures black People and telling them in a mean tone that black people are evil they should bite and attack us?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a dog that we suspected was mistreated by men in the house before we rescued her and even years later she was very jumpy around men. She didn’t like low pitched deep voices or yelling. I think it’s highly unlikely that someone trained your dog to hate certain people especially a young dog. I’m assuming the dog is young since you said it is teething. My puppy bites A LOT right now. That’s just how puppies play. If it’s too rough we let out a little “yelp” because that’s how dogs let each other know something hurts. Also we always try to redirect her biting to a chew toy. I’ve been told that once the puppy teeth fall out the biting should subside. Puppies are like toddlers. You can’t expect them to behave all the time right away. They need guidance and training and lots and lots of patience.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I do not think that is possible to do at such a young age, puppies love everyone. I think he probably just needs more consistent training. How old is your pup? They also go thru a "teenage" time, where you thought you had a well trained pup and it all goes out the window. There is lots of advise on this forum and lots on line. https://www.siriuspup.com/about/founders This site I used when I first got a pup then I added different training methods in too. All positive. My pup now (not a boxer) began to not like any strangers when we were on leash walking. People tend to want to come up on puppies and some pups are fearful, they haven't built their confidence . That was the case with mine. We stepped back till the dog felt comfortable and relaxed, and I asked people not to approach him a we were training. Each time we were able to get a little closer with him relaxing. Now he is good sits and I let people pet him but I tell them to move slowly and not reach over his head but under his jaw and to his neck. And I know from past experience he will again go thru issues but patience will get us thru. And welcome to the forum, lots of people will try and help you train your pup and we love pictures!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Aww well I get accused of "not asking questions, before offering, advice ... my bad??? But if I were to ask a question it it would, "be how old is this dog and where did you get him???"

But to answer your question anyway. No dog,s don't discriminate based on color?? If your dog has an issues with people of color ... it was based on his history and his prior owner! Boxers are "Working ogs!" And a "Working Dog" that discriminates, based on the "color of a person's skin???" Is uh pretty useless???

Dogs are pretty smart and if your dogs prior owner was a racist tool?? The dog would be eager to please them?? So that is most likely what you are dealing with??? He ought not to be making independent decisions on who is a threat without "provocation!"

A working dog that discriminate based on the color of a persons skin ... is pretty freaking useless??? "Show me a "Working dog" that makes choices based on a person's' color??? That would be pretty useless "Working Dog" for the most part??

Your dog has a "people issue??" And his prior owner was most likely a tool?? It's s gonna be up to you ...to train your dog to" make better choices."

So forget "color" your dog is currently "out of control!" It's up to "you" to teach hm to make better choices!

That said it has been literally "years" since I have reviewed this thread. :
https://www.boxerforums.com/training/171489-training-management-leadership.html

I've learned quite a bit since then but the basics are still there. My dogs don't get to pick and choose "WHO THEY LIKE???" That is my call, I would define your dog as "unpredictable" and not a racist??? It's up to you to "show him what you want, and how you expect hi to behave in "Public."

It's not that hard in my opinion?? But if you are unwilling to "do that??" Return him to wherever, he came from before he hurts someone and you get sued and you dog get's "PTS!" It's pretty much that simple.

The dog sounds like a bite risk??? And if your not willing to "Step it up??" And show him how you "expect him to behave in public??? Just return him before he hurts someone.

Your call but if you want to keep him ... we got your back. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would think its possible, you just have to let the pup recognize (in a bad and maybe cruel way) that black people are bad and the dog might incur some punishment for being too friendly or whatever towards them.

either way its a slight bit racist but if you feel theres a need to i believe oyou can google or youtube how to train your dog for aggression towards certain people or things like how the polcie trains their dogs

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I found some information when I did a Google search. Are dogs racists? It looks like behaviorists feel racism requires complex thinking that dogs don't possess.

The problem might be fear-based aggression which could be that the dog didn't have a positive association with different races early on. When you socialize a puppy you expose them to a wide variety of situations, and people. It could also be a traumatic incident with a person of color that has now generalized to all people of color.

I think a traumatic incident for a dog might even just be a very loud scary noise. I had a dog who became aggressive to dogs on a certain bike trail. It ended up he originally was afraid of some of the flags in people's yards. During some past construction there were large trucks that would "backfire", along with people flagging traffic to different routes. His mind couldn't sort through the real source of anxiety he felt so it just became generalized to unrelated objects.

It sounds like it's something you can work on by desensitizing. Young dogs are also pains in the butt. They are stubborn, and can be really mouthy - oppositional/deviant.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I found some information when I did a Google search. Are dogs racists? It looks like behaviorists feel racism requires complex thinking that dogs don't possess.

The problem might be fear-based aggression which could be that the dog didn't have a positive association with different races early on. When you socialize a puppy you expose them to a wide variety of situations, and people. It could also be a traumatic incident with a person of color that has now generalized to all people of color.

I think a traumatic incident for a dog might even just be a very loud scary noise. I had a dog who became aggressive to dogs on a certain bike trail. It ended up he originally was afraid of some of the flags in people's yards. During some past construction there were large trucks that would "backfire", along with people flagging traffic to different routes. His mind couldn't sort through the real source of anxiety he felt so it just became generalized to unrelated objects.

It sounds like it's something you can work on by desensitizing. Young dogs are also pains in the butt. They are stubborn, and can be really mouthy - oppositional/deviant.
Thanks ... "environmental stressors!" :clap:

The OP asked the wrong question ie is my "Dog a racist???" The dog is not a
"racist??" But he is a dog that needs help and that help would come in the form of "Proper Management and Leadership" and an owner making better choices for him.

The dog is "Unpredictable" around people! He bites the owner (whatever that means exactly) we can't see the dog. But if one has a dog that as stated, is subject to biting people?? Why would one let such a dog be free to engage with "people???" "I hope he does not bite that guy/gal" . ... is not much of a plan???

Doing a deep dive into "why" the dog is like this ... is gonna get someone hurt or the owner sued!

The OP needs to up there game and start making better choices for this dog ... if they plan to keep him??? This dog is in my opinion a "Rocky 101 (my formerly "Human Aggressive Oversized Working Line GSD) " who's attitude was, ... I don't much care for "people!" It was not his call as to whom to bite??? Good enough for LE ... good enough for us.

The OP ... needs to regroup and start making better choices for there dog because right now ... the dog is making "poor Choices." And if he continues to do so ... "someone" is going to get hurt and the dog will "then" most likely be PTS??

That outcome can be changed but right now ... that outcome is where this is headed. :(

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Do you think your family would be happier with another dog since you got off to such a bad start. You can find a Boxer Rescue to rehome this one, and they would be able to place him in a situation that may work better. He just might need a home with another Boxer, and a large fenced yard to let off steam. Boxers are not for everyone, and some are more difficult than others. It sounds like you've given this a lot of effort.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Ok, I don’t want to sound racist or nothing but I bought this boxer about 2 months ago and at first he was depressed because he missed his other dog brother and sisters and his mom and dad. Plus his human guardians that are white people. Since I had the dog he has been given the run of the house he has play area his own clean kennel. All the toys he desires the best puppy food money can buy. I have stayed on top of his vet visits and shots. He had an emergency I rushed him to the vet hospital. He is treated very well from me and my wife we are young black couple. Hard-working people that don’t live off handouts but works jobs everyday and bust our butts for ourselves and the boxer pup.

Our issues:
About three weeks ago the dog started to growl and get crazy and started to bite us. We ask the vet and she said ‘ he was in the biting and teething stage’ but my issue is this I notice when white people or random strangers come by he will run up to them and act a certain way and then he want bite them. It’s like he respects all white people but when black people come he will go up to them and let them rub him but he will growl and start to bite at them viciously like he does us.

My Question

Is it possible to teach a boxer puppy in his earlier stages of life to hate black people? By shouting and showing puppies pictures black People and telling them in a mean tone that black people are evil they should bite and attack us?
Well if you're still here???

I see yet again, I kinda skimmed your post and only saw my "trigger words" "dog, biting and people issues."

I kinda got reamed on a couple of boards ... for not asking questions. :chair:

And sigh, I still do that or is it don't do that??? In my defense ... it really does not change my pretty much standard recommendations , which in a nut shell "Walk your dog, train Place and make better choices for them until they can make better choices on their own" to be brief.

So two questions would be, "how old in this dog or Puppy?? And it is it your first dog/puppy???"

And at the risk of misunderstanding, yet again?? What you do for this dog/puppy?? Sounds like a "Checkbook Approach" with the dog, ie the best of "stuff money can buy!"

That's great and all but dog's don't care. The homeless tend to have a unlimited supply of the one commodity that dogs value most ... "Time With Owner!" The homeless have an unlimited ability, to give a dog access to the one thing they value most ... time with their owners. The dog and owner form a "Bond!" Cause you know ... they are always together. If you work and have a dog ... you have to figure out the balance between work and dog?? Because, if you don't have that "bond" with a dog ... your gonna have "issues??"

Long story short, when I went to three dogs, after years of having just two doggs, My problem child GSD got short changed apparently, on one on one time with me??? Yeah he was still well trained but there was no true bound between us??? And I wound up with ... going to the hospital for stitches (breaking up pack fights) issues and "people issues" were to follow!

The ultimate solution ... was astonishingly simple. Now that I had "issues" I now ... did what I should have done in the first place ... "I walked my dog."

And as regards the "race thing??" LOL well as it happens, I am also Black. And in Dayton NV ... I'm like seeing a Unicorn! So of course the rescue I got Rocky from the founders were White and I don't actually know any Black people, save for family back in Va and North Carolina.

And Rocky ... well as it happened he had no issue with me ... but he did not like other "people" ... and around here most of them would be White. :)

But the conclusion, I drew was "NOT" that my dog had a problem with "White" people?? That would be uh silly??? No my dog did not have a color issue ... he had a "People Issue!" And that crap ... could not stand!

I had to make good choices for him! And one of those choices was to keep people out of his face! So you know he was not allowed to run up to people to uh "see what happens??" And for a very long time ... (weeks or months) I did not keep track because I did not care about time. But no one touched him, without getting past me first!! And by and large ... I never said a word but I made it pretty clear, that my dog was off limits. He got that and eventually he did get the opportunity to interact with strangers ... with my permission.

But I am not a pro ... so whether, his initial (people) issues were fear based or aggression based ?? I did not know nor did I care ... I like to "KISS"and regardless of why ... his "people crap" would not stand. It worked out just fine in the long run. And in the process, unbeknownst to me ... we developed the "Bond."

Struddell was not happy during this process, as I had to leave her home. While Rocky and I went for walks, one on one for awhile. But it had to be done. But ... the walks paid off in the long run, in well spectacular fashion as it happened but that's another story. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Answers to some questions

Well if you're still here???

I see yet again, I kinda skimmed your post and only saw my "trigger words" "dog, biting and people issues."

I kinda got reamed on a couple of boards ... for not asking questions. :chair:

And sigh, I still do that or is it don't do that??? In my defense ... it really does not change my pretty much standard recommendations , which in a nut shell "Walk your dog, train Place and make better choices for them until they can make better choices on their own" to be brief.

So two questions would be, "how old in this dog or Puppy?? And it is it your first dog/puppy???"

And at the risk of misunderstanding, yet again?? What you do for this dog/puppy?? Sounds like a "Checkbook Approach" with the dog, ie the best of "stuff money can buy!"

That's great and all but dog's don't care. The homeless tend to have a unlimited supply of the one commodity that dogs value most ... "Time With Owner!" The homeless have an unlimited ability, to give a dog access to the one thing they value most ... time with their owners. The dog and owner form a "Bond!" Cause you know ... they are always together. If you work and have a dog ... you have to figure out the balance between work and dog?? Because, if you don't have that "bond" with a dog ... your gonna have "issues??"

Long story short, when I went to three dogs, after years of having just two doggs, My problem child GSD got short changed apparently, on one on one time with me??? Yeah he was still well trained but there was no true bound between us??? And I wound up with ... going to the hospital for stitches (breaking up pack fights) issues and "people issues" were to follow!

The ultimate solution ... was astonishingly simple. Now that I had "issues" I now ... did what I should have done in the first place ... "I walked my dog."

And as regards the "race thing??" LOL well as it happens, I am also Black. And in Dayton NV ... I'm like seeing a Unicorn! So of course the rescue I got Rocky from the founders were White and I don't actually know any Black people, save for family back in Va and North Carolina.

And Rocky ... well as it happened he had no issue with me ... but he did not like other "people" ... and around here most of them would be White. :)

But the conclusion, I drew was "NOT" that my dog had a problem with "White" people?? That would be uh silly??? No my dog did not have a color issue ... he had a "People Issue!" And that crap ... could not stand!

I had to make good choices for him! And one of those choices was to keep people out of his face! So you know he was not allowed to run up to people to uh "see what happens??" And for a very long time ... (weeks or months) I did not keep track because I did not care about time. But no one touched him, without getting past me first!! And by and large ... I never said a word but I made it pretty clear, that my dog was off limits. He got that and eventually he did get the opportunity to interact with strangers ... with my permission.

But I am not a pro ... so whether, his initial (people) issues were fear based or aggression based ?? I did not know nor did I care ... I like to "KISS"and regardless of why ... his "people crap" would not stand. It worked out just fine in the long run. And in the process, unbeknownst to me ... we developed the "Bond."

Struddell was not happy during this process, as I had to leave her home. While Rocky and I went for walks, one on one for awhile. But it had to be done. But ... the walks paid off in the long run, in well spectacular fashion as it happened but that's another story. :)
this isn't my first dog its actually my sixth dog. Its the first dog I have outright brought. All the other dogs I got was from people that couldn't take care of their dog so I adopted them until there economic situation changed. the pup is about 3 months old now he doesn't bite as much because of redirection but we are in the process of searching for the proper trainer because we don't want to pick just any trainer. We have read several boxer dog books and watched several basic training videos online. We have asked for advice from other neighbors that own boxers and they have freely given it. I brought the pup from a AKC breeder they were out in the country a nice Caucasian family that had several boxer dogs.

The mom and dad was present with all their health information and their other boxer babies. They ran a background check on me and my wife. They asked us several question and we were vetted thoroughly. They told us they believed we were a good fit for their puppies. I looked them up they had no complaints from previous customers and they weren't a puppy mill. Just honest law-abiding Americans. They even check our financial/job history to make sure we could take care of the dog.

I hope this answers your questions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not think that is possible to do at such a young age, puppies love everyone. I think he probably just needs more consistent training. How old is your pup? They also go thru a "teenage" time, where you thought you had a well trained pup and it all goes out the window. There is lots of advise on this forum and lots on line. https://www.siriuspup.com/about/founders This site I used when I first got a pup then I added different training methods in too. All positive. My pup now (not a boxer) began to not like any strangers when we were on leash walking. People tend to want to come up on puppies and some pups are fearful, they haven't built their confidence . That was the case with mine. We stepped back till the dog felt comfortable and relaxed, and I asked people not to approach him a we were training. Each time we were able to get a little closer with him relaxing. Now he is good sits and I let people pet him but I tell them to move slowly and not reach over his head but under his jaw and to his neck. And I know from past experience he will again go thru issues but patience will get us thru. And welcome to the forum, lots of people will try and help you train your pup and we love pictures!
the pic on my profile is the boxer you all can see him.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
this isn't my first dog its actually my sixth dog. Its the first dog I have outright brought. All the other dogs I got was from people that couldn't take care of their dog so I adopted them until there economic situation changed. the pup is about 3 months old now he doesn't bite as much because of redirection but we are in the process of searching for the proper trainer because we don't want to pick just any trainer. We have read several boxer dog books and watched several basic training videos online. We have asked for advice from other neighbors that own boxers and they have freely given it. I brought the pup from a AKC breeder they were out in the country a nice Caucasian family that had several boxer dogs.

The mom and dad was present with all their health information and their other boxer babies. They ran a background check on me and my wife. They asked us several question and we were vetted thoroughly. They told us they believed we were a good fit for their puppies. I looked them up they had no complaints from previous customers and they weren't a puppy mill. Just honest law-abiding Americans. They even check our financial/job history to make sure we could take care of the dog.

I hope this answers your questions
Argggg ... :cry_baby:

I just spent literally three hours responding to this post and I hit the wrong key and lost it all!!!! :cry_baby:

I can't do that again?? So ... I'm gonna go with Plan B here. And say that books and videos unless you have an understanding first of what to look for ... all look pretty much the same???

But for me ... pretty not so much! I am not a pro but, I have "been there done that" and "we" got it right ! Rocky my first ever Working line GSD Oversized, GSD @116lbs??? Was a (foster fail) just a big furry dog with a pointy face???

But he was the only dog that I, clearly understood that without some fairly serious intervention ... was capable and willing to do some pretty carnage on strangers??? The first time I saw that was at Thanksgiving and he happened to be in "Place!" And I was next to him and he greeted each new guest with a cold hard stare and a low rumbling growl ... my blood ran cold!!! My blood ran cold!!! WTH was this and this crap was ... after the pack fights with my band dawg and in breaking up those dust up's ... i was the one that wound up going to the ER for stitches!!!

So that is my background and rest assured, that with five "now" five pack fights ... dog aggressive and threatening, uh ... everyone save for me, Marilyn and Struddell, ... had I returned him back to rescue ... he would have been put PTS, rescues have tons of dogs that don't have people issue or other dog issues?? They don't have time or space for this kinda crap!!!

So if I could not "figure it out??" Rocky was a "Dead Dog Walking!" Yeah ... no, not on my watch!! I did not know what hias issues were??? But I did know that ... whatever it took ... this out of control crap would not stand!!

And from there ... non "Pro" that I am ... I became the "DIY" dog guy! We ... got it done! I first made good choices for him, if he did not like people??? Fine ...it was my job to show him what I wanted and my job to keep people out of his face!!! And rest assured ... that "NO ONE" got in his face over my objection!!! Lindar 51 without the "attitude" pretty much already said how this is done. :)

And so you know ... this is where that came from.:
Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

I simply put a more aggressive spin on it. I would stop from about 5 feet away if someone looked to intresterd in "Rocky" and I would block there access to him by stepping in front of him and explain ... that he was in training. And he was ...no one ever asked ... in training for what?? If they would have ...I'd have mostly said ... he's in training "NOT" to bite the crap out of people!!!

If you have a dog that does not like people ... it's your job to make good choices for them! Show them what you want and how you expect them to behave! And I don't flat out screw around with "Is your dog friendly people??? If they have to ask ... they don't know?? And I trust "NO ONE!"

My Struddell in her 10 years was never attacked by another dog?? I don't know you I don't know your dog??? You keep your distance ... we'll keep ours ... "Thank You" is how we rolled

Worked out fine and for the record ... GSD's tend to be some of the worst dogs you can take into a Vet office ... typically "muzzles required!!

But Rocky ... my pack fighting, (sent me to the ER, for stitches (Pack Fight thing) people hating, OS WL GSD ... was one of the best behaved, WL GSD's at the Vet's office!!! He was one of their favorite GSD's! :)

Everything I learned about dealing with difficult dogs, I learned from my one GSD! And from him I became the "DIY" guy! I ticked off a lot of "Pro's" on GSD but I also gained the "Respect" of a few of the "big Dogs" there. :)

But it's a hard road to hoe and eventually I got "Banned" just like one of my "Big Dawg" pals ... and that would be this guy.:

Home

The same freaking tool that got Lou Banned ... turned his attention towards me when he got to be a Mod ..."Slam Dunc!!"

And you know ... GSD's ... now that I am no longer there they get stuff on there pretty much uh daily.:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/747361-very-urgent-help-needed.html

And for the record ... non of the advise I would have given is to be found there and "Slam Dunc" is nowhere to be found ... just saying. :)

Aww well at any rate ... what can you do?? Step One make better choices for your dog, keep people out of his face! No Dog Parks and just stay away from unknown dogs! I like to "keep it simple!"

And ... most important of all ... "Walk Your Dog!!" If you can't do anything else ... make good choices for him and do that!!!

I don't do flashy, I don't do IPO/PPD/LE or Obedience Training ... I do calm balanced dogs that can are safe in public and go with me anywhere ... "Off Leash!" :)

I don't really give a crap what a dog's back ground or issues are??? I don't care cause under my watch whatever their issues were, ... they won't get an opportunity to practice them!!

I make good choices for them, by working with the dog in front of me ... paws on the ground.

I "walk" them ... that is step two.

I trained "Place."

And I do "Sit on the Dog."

I have been doing the forum thing for years, I have written thousands of post and written uh millions of words?? Mostly on Germanshepardforum in the Aggression forum. :)

And to this day ... i have never seen a single post that says my dog walks well on a loose leash, he can do a two hour Place Command and we do Sit On the dog!

And my dog is still a freaking tool??? Combined between three forums I have over ten thousands post and over a million words and that combination ... of dogs that can do those things and still have "issues" has never happened???

You can read as many books as you like and view as many videos as you choose ...but without some kind of guidance ... all that advise ... looks pretty much the same???

But I have been there done that and got the stitches!! And I am the DIY Dog Training Guy! And I finally stumbled unto the one trainer ... tht explained to me ... "what I'd already done!" And it was so freaking simple ... that I had overlooked it??? A lesson I had already learned from my Boxer and because it was simple for me ... I never noticed??

Walk Your Dog!!! But ... "Larry Khron" ... spelled it out for me ... he explained to me what I'd already done and why it worked. :

Right there straight up is the answer! If you can't do that ... your gonna struggle!

And since I have already this issue today (the walking thing) ... I'm gonna just cross link to another thread here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/1980952-post2.html

that said and since i messed up ... I'm gonna send you a PM. Since I don't do the GSD thing anymore on account of being Banned!!! I got's lots of free time.:)

Cuse as I said I think ... 5 or 6 Boxers serious Boxers issues a year ... is alot less than 5 or 6 GSD issues a day!!! Believe that! :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Plasma...It sounds to me like you have a good plan. He is just a baby at 3 months so biting and chewing will be part of it and your redirecting so I think you have a good handle on it. I don't know if his vaccinations have been completed but if they are, I'd probably start taking him different places, Lowes Home depot are pretty pet friendly, if his shots are finished put him in the cart and wheel around. Let lots of people meet him. MY pup now has been a bit of a fearful pup, he would bark at people if they approached him quickly. We go to the stores and just walk around I do't always let anyone pet him, some people are fearful and that feeds into his fear. I tell some sure but let me make him sit first and usually he gets into a calm state and thats when I allow people to pet him. It is gong well for me. I'm sure your guy will be fine and will love everyone too. It takes time. My other dog a boxer is almost 4 now and he loves anyone but I usually tell him its ok

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well if your still here?? I'm going to dial down the rhetoric and try and help you with your Plan B, "Find a Trainer." That is not really my thing as my goal is to help members DIY there dog's themselves but ... yu know not my call. :)

But first in as much as you don't list your location, no one knows where you are? But for my purpose it is does not matter.

A lot of trainers ... don't like being labeled but nonetheless most effective trainers are "Balanced Trainers." They train primarily using PO methods but they will deliver "Adversives" (punish a dog for making poor choices) if required!

And they will only give a correction once a dog knows and fully understands a given command once properly taught and that dog "chooses" not to comply!

And that "aversive" can be as simple as a marker work ... a verbal "No" or a leash correction with a Prong Collar or a E-Collar correction.

It depends on the dog and the tool being used. Positive only trainers ... do not believe in "aversives" or "punishment for making poor choices. A cookie for doing it right and no cookie for doing it wrong ... is not a "Correction!" If you have a dog/puppy??? With serious issues ... a "PO" Trainer is a waste of time and money and that kinda crap (waste of money) happens all the time!

And unless you happen to live in Tennessee??? Where BTE2 is located ... you can pretty much forget finding a trainer that deals with Boxers as a specialty?? But that does not really matter, what you'll want to look for is a trainer that does "Working Dogs and/or Aggressive Dog Rehab. Or simpler still ... sigh just look for a GSD Trainer!! No shortage of issue pron puppys and dogs there ... believe that. :)

But you know simpler still you can weed out the trainers that can't help by asking one question ... do you train the "Place Command??" If that have no idea what you are talking about ... then thank them for there time and move on. They can't help you. And so you know pretty, much every, competent qualified effective trainer that can help you ... trains the "Place Command!" And most will also do "Sit on the Dog."

And assuming you don't know what those and why bother?? I got that covered here.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

I have first hand experience on those techniques with my (formerly H/A Wl GSD) worked out fine.

And ... as to what look for in a trainer in more detail, here is my list. :

https://tythedogguy.com/for-puppies-under-5-months-old/
Dog Training Bowling Green, KY, Nashville , TN, - PakMasters
https://thegooddog.net/services-rates/
https://www.ruffbeginningsrehab.com/services-rates/
https://www.solidk9training.com/

I pretty much train the same was as these guys and so you know ... all of them have facebook pages and have Youtube Channels and some do youtube weekly radio shows!

You don't have to pay for any of their advise ... they give it away for free!

And Jeff Gellman also does this.:
https://www.solidk9training.com/rv-dog-trainer/

So for all I know ... he may be heading your way now???

Hope this helps. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts