Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be done for a puppy who whines and yips a lot aside from just ignoring them?  Deuce is constantly whining or yipping when he wants something.  We ignore him and sometimes scold him whenever he does this with the exception of when he is outside for the sake of our neighbors.  Maggie (our one year old fawn) never makes much noise so this is a new problem for us.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
sadly there isnt really anything that can be done. Ignoring is the best thing that i have found that works. It is VERY hard, but they are looking for the attention and as soon as you give it to them, then he will realizethat sall he has to do is yip until you cant stand it then he will get what ever it is that he does want.  Things get better with age- how old is he again?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely ignore him...Even scolding him, plays into the game and pretty soon Deuce will figure out if he whines, he gets attention....No, no, no, we don't want that...It's hard, but it's the best thing to do for everyone...He's still pretty young, right? What exactly is happening to cause him to whine?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he is only 8 weeks old.  He whines for just about everything - to get up on the couch, wanting to go outside for the bathroom (good thing), when he wants to come inside, when he wants out of his crate, etc.

Also he whines when he is alone so we think he has separation anxiety.  Hopefully this will decline as he gets older and braver.

·
Registered
616 Posts
He is awful young.  He may just miss mama and siblings.  The older he gets the less he will do this.  Our youngest one used to make all kinds of noise but he hardly makes a sound now.  He doesn't bark but he whispers "woof".  With boxers, you will find that patience is a virtue!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm collecting Hector tonight, and just as I was leaving the breeders the day I picked him out she just casually mentioned "Oh he's by far the most vocal of the lot, he was the first to start barking and he hasn't stopped since..."  I was like nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

In fairness, though, she also told me he was the laziest of the bunch - I just went "Sold!".  Tink is absolutely wired to the moon so I need a lazy lump to counteract that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts