Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally brought home Neely today! he's 10 weeks and Im totally pysched, only thing is that I put him on the leash to take him out and he is really timid on it and wont follow me out....totally diggin in and trying to stay put, once outside though it takes him a second and starts roaming on his own, but then when i try to direct him he fights it again, what should i do with him as I dont want to get him totally afraid of the leash and lead to walking problems later?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome home Neely!

Snap the leash on him in the house for a while and let him get used to it by just dragging it around.  It is best if you have an old one that you can cut the handle part off of so it doesn't get caught up around something.  While outside play the "follow me" game.  Be exciting and interesting.  Make interesting sounds and run away from him and get him to follow you.  That is the key for learning to walk on a loose leash.  The leash is mainly a safety guard, you need to make the connection with him and get him to watch you.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yup, definitely let him wear it around the house...Flick had his first leash experience yesterday, didn't go well, but expected that, so we shall do more sessions today and move on.... :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
As on the Dog Whisperer he suggested to start in the house. If that didnt work then he suggested to walk with a neighbor who has a dog etc. This will give the dog some type of motivation.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
He needs time to realize it's okay. Dragging the leash around the house can desensitize him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts