Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning Blue follows the same exact routine.  He wakes up goes outside for potty break while my husband gets ready.  He then goes for a long walk around the neighborhood.  When he gets home he eats breakfast.  When he is finished with breakfast, its time to bite and attack me.  It never fails!  This morning was worse than others.  I am a teacher so I have to dress professional to go to work.  He has already ripped 3 pairs of my dress pants and two dress shirts.  I have tried ignoring him, but nothing works.  It seems to get him more excited when I don't pay attention to him.  My husband and I were married about a month ago, and when it first began happening we figured it was because it was something new.  I didn't live with him before hand.  I don't know what to do anymore....  

My husband doesn't get involved because we were told when we were training Blue that he needed to learn to listen to both of us.  So he was never to interject when something like this is happening because it will teach Blue that I am not his master.  I am to the point where I feel like we should put him in the cage in the morning while getting ready.  I can't afford to buy new pants for work every week.  This is the only time he does this!  It's not like he does it in the evening when I get home or on the weekends when I'm not going to work.  It literally only happens Monday thru Friday.  If anyone has any suggestions I would really love to hear some because I'm at my whits end!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Who walks him?  How is he on the walk?  

Also, I'm confused...who lived with who before you were married?  It was just you and Blue?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Husband walks him and he is very good on his walks.  My husband lived in the same house with Blue before the wedding.  I was over everyday, and during the summer I would spend everyday with him while my husband was at work.  So it's not like this is the first time Blue has been around me.  We thought that maybe it was a change for Blue to have me there every morning and that things would change as time went on.  But it's not changing it's getting worse.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You need to take him on the walk.  He isn't respecting your authority and thinks he is dominant over you.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Blue is definitely adjusting to the new person..He is testing you and your authority, like Sully said, the best way to tip the scales back in your favor is to start walking him..Besides the fact I always found that was a good way to bond with mine, it will give you a chance to work with Blue so he can learn to respect you as well...Another thing you can do is put him in a time out, BUT NOT IN THE CRATE!...We have a bolt attached to the side of our counter in the kitchen that I used with Angel when we brought her home for when she got out of line. The crate should never be used as a punishment, so I would stay away from tht.

·
Registered
405 Posts
could he maybe be sensing, knowing from the daily routine, that you are getting ready to leave? A separation anxiety of sorts? Other than asserting your own dominance as others have said, what about also finding a way to get him involved with something while you are getting ready? Maybe fill a kong so he's working on that for 20 minutes or so to keep him occupied.

·
Registered
526 Posts
sounds more like separation issues to me.. if he had a problem with dominance, he would do this type of behaviour more than when you are leaving. I do agree though, do not make the crate a punishment spot. Try a kong or some other treat toy but if all fails, you may just have to put him outside or leash him up to something.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have bought him 3 different Kongs and he doesn't like them!  No matter what I put in it...

I am the one that wakes up with him and lets him outside.  While he's out there I play with him while my husband gets ready to take him for the walk.  So it's not like I don't have any contact with him in the mornings. While he is on the walk I'm the one that gets his breakfast ready, so he can eat when he gets back.

The problem with me taking him for a walk in the morning, is that we would have to wake up at 4am.  I have to be at work by 6:45 in the morning.  I am already cutting it close getting up at 5, because I spend time playing with him in the morning and the time getting ready.  I mean I love Blue, and he is a perfect dog other than this little morning temper tantrum.  I take him for walks in the evening, and on the weekends I take him to the dog parks and things like that.  I set up play dates for him and everything.  It's almost like in the morning my husband is the master, and in the evening I am the master.  And when I say we have tried everything I literally mean we have tried everything; time outs, kongs, bones, pig ears, but he ignores all of those things and comes after me.  It is really the strangest thing ever!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I would think if it was separation anxiety, he would be more anxious about his original owner leaving (the husband) and you'd see more unwanted behavior towards him when he was leaving.  My pup had severe separation anxiety, biting and nipping was never an issue.  I would never tolerate biting and nipping.  A dog that bites and nips does not respect you.  If it was the occassional biting during play, it's just a puppy testing.  But daily biting and nipping is a blatant disrespect.  Excessive licking and whimpering is something more typical of anxiety.  My amateur analysis here is that Blue does this after his walk because he is reminded of who are the important members of the pack during the walk, him and the husband.  When he gets back he attacks the one he feels he is superior over, because he does not consider you a worthy member of the pack because you are not included on the daily walk.  In addition, puppies just love to test authority...even if they know you are an authority member, they take the chance to test it anytime they can.  You just have to remain consistent with corrections and authority status.  Even if you don't walk him in the morning, walk him at night.  Just be more involved with the activities that involve authority and leadership, and not just playtime.  If you are just involved with playtime, he sees you as an equal or another puppy...and he will attempt to dominate you.

I'd also suggest if Blue has this much energy after a walk, maybe he needs more exercise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts