Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so Im gonna sound like and idiot here.  I went to take Chaos out this morning and I think he might of wet his bed (crate).  Lately, when I go to get him out of his crate in the morning, he has been lazy and just laid there.  So I have to reach in to get him, I do this cause I have to go to work, and the fiancee is still sleeping (she gets up an hour later to feed him and take him out before her work).  I get up around 6am.  This morning however when I reached into get him, I put my hand under his neck, and the other under his lower belly (close to his privates where there is barely any hair).  When I pulled my hand out I noticed it was damp.  I thought maybe its sweat, and continued taking him outside.  When I got back in, I checked his bed and his blanket was really damp.  I wouldnt say soaked, I wouldnt be able to wring it out or anything.  I went to smell it, but it wasnt a bad odor (just smelt like dog) and I have a bad sense of smell anyways.  When I told the finacee about it, she checked it out and said it smelt like dog too.  Now Im no expert on the smell of pee, but at the same time it must have been a fair bit of whatever cause the second blanket which is underneath was damp too.  So do boxers sweat enough to get there blankets wet/damp like that, or is he peeing in his sleep, or peeing cause he needs to go out and we are not catching it??

Please any advice would be great, I have read that once a dog gets used to doing his business in the crate is hard to break and they become pretty dirt dogs.  

Oh, he was sleeping right on top of the wet/damp spot.

Cheers
Andrew with Chaos.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
sounds to me like he peed and maybe it wasnt caught that he needed to go out. Is his crate in the bedroom with you? I found that by putting my babies crates in our room i definitly hear them when they need to go out at night. We had the same problem when we first got our babies but once we put them in our room we heard them and havent had a problem since

·
Registered
905 Posts
As far as I'm aware, dogs don't sweat except through the pads of their feet, so I doubt it was that.  Could it have been drool?  Tink will literally SOAK a pillow if she lies in the same spot long enough.  She also has a very annoying habit of licking pillows and cushions until they're sopping.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
When Henry was really young, we would set an alarm clock for about midnight and get up to take him out.  The older he got, the less he needed to go in the middle of the night.  Plus, we usually go to bed late and wake up early, 10p - 4a.

Z

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, I was going to say drool as well, There have been many times I have found very damp spots and assumed that it was an accident, when it wasn't..Boxers are droolers, some more so than others..Samson is real bad, Angel will lick a spot to the point it could almost seem like an accident as well...Eimear, I think our babies are related! Lol... :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
They don't sweat in a way that it would make anything wet or damp.  It is possible it is drool but it also possible it is pee.  The pee does not have a really "pee" smell when they are young.  I cant remember how old he is though.  SO it is possible either way I guess.  I would think if it were drool it would be up around his head only and not down by his privates.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How old is Chaos?  We took Chloe out at 2am every night (woke her up if we had to) until she was about 5-6 months old to be on the safe side.

You also might want to take the water up 2 hours before bed time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chaos is 15 weeks old (almost 16 weeks).  He does not sleep in our room, but our door is open and he is right there in the hallway.  He moves around alot, so I get up every so often to check on him, but sometimes he will not even lift his head to acknowledge that I am there, so at that point I go back to bed.  If I see him sitting up or if seems awake, I take him out.  He has whined before to go out so thats obvious.  Drool and licking is a good chance.  I have not seen him drool much, but sometimes he licks his blankets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts