Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....or an attempt on my dogs life?
I took Bronco to the dog park last night, there were about 4-5 other dogs there all about the same size, and all the dogs were having fun chasing each other sniffing and wrastling. All the sudden in the middle of the puppy chasing this guy's golden retriever has my dog pinned on the ground by the neck thrashing him. To be honest I this close to doing a falcon kick on that dog.
No damage done to my dog except a grass stain on his head, and Bronco seemed un-phased and kept playing for another half hour or so.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
....or an attempt on my dogs life?
I took Bronco to the dog park last night, there were about 4-5 other dogs there all about the same size, and all the dogs were having fun chasing each other sniffing and wrastling. All the sudden in the middle of the puppy chasing this guy's golden retriever has my dog pinned on the ground by the neck thrashing him. To be honest I this close to doing a falcon kick on that dog.
No damage done to my dog except a grass stain on his head, and Bronco seemed un-phased and kept playing for another half hour or so.
If there was no damage, I'm guessing the retriever was putting Bronco in his place. I would definitely keep an eye on that dog though if you are not familiar with him.

My neighbors black lab does the same to my guy Zuke when he gets too out of control playing and wants to basically tell him "Ok knock it off". The only times I have seen it happen with my dogs was when it was an older dog and mine were puppies.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I'm glad your dog is OK ... but crap like that is exactly why a lot of Pet owners and (serious) Pro's recommend to there clients ... don't go to Dog Parks. If you actually want to create leash reactive dog ... Dog Park outings are a fine start ... Cesar Millan notwithstanding. :)

Having situations like that happen, is often exactly how you get a "my Dog is reactive to other dogs on leash, dog?? That is ... "I'll" get them before they get me!!

I advocate ... "protect your dog" no dog I do not know ... gets to my dog without going thru me. My dogs understand ... that Daddy has there back. It's kinda tuff to do that ... if I put them in harm's way????

In anycase under the best of circumstances "Boxers" can be PIA's. Some dogs don't much care for being circled at high speed, hopped on and punched in the face??? Know safe dogs and organized pack walks ... is a good policy.

There is my standard "Dog Park" caution in the following thread, as well as an article on three dogs who should not be at the Dog Park. It sounds like your dog is/was a Dog Park,kinda dog but that Golden ... maybe not so much??? The thing is ... you don't know who is bringing what kinda dog with issues into a "Dog Park??"

At any rate ... here you go. :
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

·
Registered
77 Posts
I do dog parks. But my dog could care less about other dogs. I'm more exciting.
I leave if there are dog fighting breeds present, crap owners, toys, or if it gets too crowded.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I leave if there are dog fighting breeds present, crap owner's, toys, or if it gets too crowded.
Oh by and large there is always "that guy" and for the record ... it was a "Golden Retriever" that attacked the OP's dog ... hardly a fighting breed, just saying. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
No dog parks for us.I take Fritz to half day dog care.I know all dogs are up to date with shots. He loves going ,so when I have a long to do list,I take him.He loves to go ,even knows when we get in parking lot ,where we are.All the employees come to tell him by when I go to pick him up.So it worth the$20.to know he will be in no harm,and he is so tired when we get home,sometimes he falls asleep,on way home.So I know he has had a running good time.:clap:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I leave if there are dog fighting breeds present, crap owners, toys, or if it gets too crowded.
My dog is the opposite, he sees a new dog and wants to start playing, then he'll move on to the next dog

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I don't really take my dog to dog parks either, too many germs and uneducated dog owners. I like my dog in my space and I don't like other dogs in it. But that's just me��
LOL no not just you. :cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very happy that your dog is ok, you should take care of him. I have some problems but with street dogs.My dog ( Cesar) do not like them because they are very aggressive. We live in a area near forest where sometimes there are street dogs and sometimes there are different conflict situations between them. I always try to keep eyes on Cesar even if he is in our yard. If your dog is aggresive, it can be because of food. He is not feeded corectly and have problems with that ( he is hungry) . You can try to give him phytoplankton food and fish oil for dogs, it really helps and makes the imunity stronger. You can find more info about that food.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dog parks are the equivalent of back alley bars for us. Every time we’ve gone, a cluster of dogs chased our boy Max. He liked it, loves to play chase, but some alpha dog in the group always trying to mount him (yuck).

Anyway, we pass on them. Unless there’s no one else there. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dog parks are the equivalent of back alley bars for us. Every time we’ve gone, a cluster of dogs chased our boy Max. He liked it, loves to play chase, but some alpha dog in the group always trying to mount him (yuck).

Anyway, we pass on them. Unless there’s no one else there. :)
Same here. Only time I would take my boxers to a dog park would be if there were no other dogs there. Boxers are way too wound up to be with other dogs that don't know them. I have had 8 including the 2 I have now and all of them except for myb12 year old never knew when they were being overbearing with other non boxers. I don't think boxers speak the same language as other dogs.

My boxers don't need friends they have us and each other. Had the same thing happen to my boxer when he was a puppy when my drunk neighbor brought his pit (nothing against pits) to my house to play with my dog without asking me. He pinned my boy on the ground by his neck and started shaking him. He didn't hurt him too bad just a few small cuts but he is like a son to me and I almost ended my neighbors dog. Dog parks are nothing but trouble waiting to happen.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Same here. Only time I would take my boxers to a dog park would be if there were no other dogs there. Boxers are way too wound up to be with other dogs that don't know them. I have had 8 including the 2 I have now and all of them except for myb12 year old never knew when they were being overbearing with other non boxers. I don't think boxers speak the same language as other dogs.

My boxers don't need friends they have us and each other. Had the same thing happen to my boxer when he was a puppy when my drunk neighbor brought his pit (nothing against pits) to my house to play with my dog without asking me. He pinned my boy on the ground by his neck and started shaking him. He didn't hurt him too bad just a few small cuts but he is like a son to me and I almost ended my neighbors dog. Dog parks are nothing but trouble waiting to happen.

Aww man I am sorry that happened! Glad your dog is OK and ... how is he now around other dog's???

And yeah ... friend's can sometimes take you "off guard??" My American Bandogge, "was" dog aggressive I put a lot of work into him to get him "safe," around other dog's but Ihad "Zero Interest," in "Proofing," my work! And my Boxer Struddell ... when out and about would default to what Gunther did.

And while "nothing happened," when my friends showed up unexpectedly ... with there Pug!!! WHo just barged in the door soon as I opened it!!! I never saw Taz and did not know he was there ... it worked out well! I did not see Taz and did not know he was there before I opened the door. They did not say ... "We are bringing our dog??"

But ...it worked out well! I think my dog's thought Taz was some kinda weird ugly cat?? And they live with cat's! So they expected him without issue! :)

But it was rude and they did not ask!!! Your friend (I assume??) Did the same thing with worst outcome!! He put you in a bad position and you, ... that made the wrong choice that time. But hey as they say ... sometimes "Crap Happens??" And now you know. :)

Still sigh ...you guy's did get lucky! That encounter could have ended badly! The dog's should have met on neutral gone and gone for a walk on leash, for a bit before meeting ... on leash!

My Bnd Dogge and my baby girl Struddell ... never went to a Dog Park! Pretty much 10 years of no other dog's (for the most part.) My new girl Bella I had issues with an I needed a confined space to work with her. We live in a small and have a two acre or so local Dog Park.

So in "off peak hours," usually at night it was easy to go when no one was there! My Bella Pit/Boxer does seem to get fine with other dog's ... if both are off leash in the "Park!"

But if a dog is at the gate and I "think about taking her in??" It gets ugly!! That only happened once and Bella scared the crap out of the other owner's as did there dog!!

Sigh ... it only happened once. I went to the fence to ask the other owner's to ask if about there dog and see if it was Ok if we came in?? Only there dog there?? And Bella hopped out the parked driver window?? And got in there dog's face!! It was "Game On!!"

They were terrified to get near their dog as Bella did her best out of control "Bad Dog Act!" I was scrambling to get a hold of her (No leash ...since she was "suppose to be in the freaking car!!) and they went "nowhere near there dog!"

Now to be fair, with other dog's of mine in our home I'd seen this crap before with combat ... so I was used to "crazy!' But I would say that couple not so much?? I scooped up Bella and yeah ... we did not go in!

No dogs were harmed but yeah a meet and greet was uh ..."Out of the Question!!" So you know ... we never went in ... I was pretty ticked off and the other folk's were I am pretty sure "traumatized," most likely they had never seen there dog at like that??

So yeah that was my "Dog Park Adventure," and we never got in! :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Aww man I am sorry that happened! Glad your dog is OK and ... how is he now around other dog's???

And yeah ... friend's can sometimes take you "off guard??" My American Bandogge, "was" dog aggressive I put a lot of work into him to get him "safe," around other dog's but Ihad "Zero Interest," in "Proofing," my work! And my Boxer Struddell ... when out and about would default to what Gunther did.

And while "nothing happened," when my friends showed up unexpectedly ... with there Pug!!! WHo just barged in the door soon as I opened it!!! I never saw Taz and did not know he was there ... it worked out well! I did not see Taz and did not know he was there before I opened the door. They did not say ... "We are bringing our dog??"

But ...it worked out well! I think my dog's thought Taz was some kinda weird ugly cat?? And they live with cat's! So they expected him without issue! :)

But it was rude and they did not ask!!! Your friend (I assume??) Did the same thing with worst outcome!! He put you in a bad position and you, ... that made the wrong choice that time. But hey as they say ... sometimes "Crap Happens??" And now you know. :)

Still sigh ...you guy's did get lucky! That encounter could have ended badly! The dog's should have met on neutral gone and gone for a walk on leash, for a bit before meeting ... on leash!

My Bnd Dogge and my baby girl Struddell ... never went to a Dog Park! Pretty much 10 years of no other dog's (for the most part.) My new girl Bella I had issues with an I needed a confined space to work with her. We live in a small and have a two acre or so local Dog Park.

So in "off peak hours," usually at night it was easy to go when no one was there! My Bella Pit/Boxer does seem to get fine with other dog's ... if both are off leash in the "Park!"

But if a dog is at the gate and I "think about taking her in??" It gets ugly!! That only happened once and Bella scared the crap out of the other owner's as did there dog!!

Sigh ... it only happened once. I went to the fence to ask the other owner's to ask if about there dog and see if it was Ok if we came in?? Only there dog there?? And Bella hopped out the parked driver window?? And got in there dog's face!! It was "Game On!!"

They were terrified to get near their dog as Bella did her best out of control "Bad Dog Act!" I was scrambling to get a hold of her (No leash ...since she was "suppose to be in the freaking car!!) and they went "nowhere near there dog!"

Now to be fair, with other dog's of mine in our home I'd seen this crap before with combat ... so I was used to "crazy!' But I would say that couple not so much?? I scooped up Bella and yeah ... we did not go in!

No dogs were harmed but yeah a meet and greet was uh ..."Out of the Question!!" So you know ... we never went in ... I was pretty ticked off and the other folk's were I am pretty sure "traumatized," most likely they had never seen there dog at like that??

So yeah that was my "Dog Park Adventure," and we never got in! :)
He's great around other dogs but will be overbearing to the point they get pissed if I let him. I don't worry too much about it because he is never around dogs except our other boxer and my families dogs that have known him since he or they were puppies.

The 12 year old boxer I have just ignores him if he gets rambunctious with him. He's too old to rough house for too long. The younger one, not really young He's 7 and a half, will stop immediately when i tell him to.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
He's great around other dogs but will be overbearing to the point they get pissed if I let him. I don't worry too much about it because he is never around dogs except our other boxer and my families dogs that have known him since he or they were puppies.

The 12 year old boxer I have just ignores him if he gets rambunctious with him. He's too old to rough house for too long. The younger one, not really young He's 7 and a half, will stop immediately when i tell him to.

LOL... well (amazing enough) it sounds like "No Harm Done!" :)
He sounds like a typical "PIA," around other dogs Boxer! Let's see ... Barking, spinning high speed circling, punches to faces and trying to knock other dogs over, cuz you know ... that's fun! High maintenance "PIA,s" for ,your average Doggy Day Care.

So at Doggy Day Care (Boxer's) tend to not be there long. Uh take your dog and don't come back, Thank You very much. And the GSD owner's ... tend to be next in line. :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
LOL, well I do always say "Boxer's are a PIA," and areoften asked to leave Doggy Care, but you know ... why is that exactly?? What makes them so difficult and time consuming to deal with???

Well as it happens ... just yesterday ... I got to observe "what the deal is!" :)

And in a nutshell, well they are just "Rude!" I kinda sorta Bitch and moan a lot about my Bella (Boxer/Pit)!

Very Boxer like for the most part and if she were a he, I don't doubt I'd have made much more progress by now?? But she is not a he and it is what is. So note one and it seems to hold, Female Boxer's can be "Pigged Headed?" But Female Boxer/Pit's apparently double down on "pig headedness," so yeah....

And as a general rule ... I don't trust other dog's and other people! And as a general rule ... I just keep my dog's away from unknown dog's!

I don't need the Dog v Dog hassle. But sigh as always ... sometimes "Crap Happen's??" Bella and I went to get the mail yesterday. And there was the neighbor's out from behind his fence and on the front lawn looking lost and confused?? PIA ... we live less than a block from Hwy 50 and if he wander's that way ... he is gonna hit by a car!

I got the mail put it in the house and grabbed a second leash. Well this sucked but I had to try and grab him to keep him out of harm's way!

He would not let me approach him?? He's a GSD cross and a puppy but he is big! But he was interested in Bella. So if I want to get him, I have to take Bella with me. I did manage to keep Bella on one side (on a SLL.)

So with leash in hand we go back out to grab him. Now this is when I made my first mistake! If your going to secure an unknown dog ... use a SLL?? I had Bella on one side and the other leash I grabbed had a clip?? Well you know good enough??

I kept Bella behind on the SLL ... and she was very good, with whatever was going on??? I had to take her cuz the dog was to skittish to trust just me! I got him to come close enough to me to clip the leash on his collar ... so job done?? But sigh ... not quite!

He slipped out of his collar and was "loose," yet again!!! Well ... that sucked! But he stayed on his lawn ... so we'll try again.

Soo this time ... I'll put the clip leash on Bella and use the SSL on the neighbor's dog! Apparently that should have been the first choice ... SLL, as it was much easier to procure him that way then it was trying to attach a leash by a clip to his collar .... so yeah.

I told Bella "Down," which she did and the big puppy would close in. Now this is where the ... "Boxeeness," comes in! Boxer's are just "rude!" Bella decided that hey this guy is pretty cool and I want to meet him "now!" But you know a calm and placid greeting ... is not gonna work, so I'm gonna lunge!!

Yeah that is not gonna work ... so I told her down again and she did and we'll try again. That worked Bella stayed "Down," the dog came close and I had him!!

I kept Bella on my other side and went to move and of course ... the stray hit the brakes ... sigh, this old bit??? Most likely that dog had never been on a leash before?? I never saw them walk him ... but whatever. But LOL, I'm pretty much the last guy ... this dog should try the, "well I'm gonna "sit bit," with," but whatever." He sat and I just kept, forward pressure on the leash and waited.

Less than a minute and he gave up and stepped forward with us! At this point we move forward across the street and much to my well astonishment ... Bella had done her part well! She had brought the dog close to me and then stayed out of the way!

And yeah my Rocky WL GSD was great with other dog's surprisingly so and what he would not have done is the "excitement lunge, at all." But overall Bella did great as I got the dog with her help! :)

So part one done, we cross the street and go inside the house ... Part two I got cat's! And I don't know this dog?? And the cat's are in the living room! I get a break here ... as the dog wants to stay by the front door. Two cat's are in the living room and uh ... they never move! Kinda like an unknown dog ... whatever?? So I scoop them up and throw them in the Master Bedroom.

I can't let the dog's outside yet cuz FW (Fuzzy Wuzzy,) is outside somewhere?? But he shows up and into the garage he goes! So the back yard is cat free now so I can let the dog's outside.

So it's been less that 20 minutes but I have seen enough that I know the new dog is safe and I know Bella does not want to attack him. So I let them go.

And this is interesting ... Pit/Boxer trait number one ... yep they punch also?? Bella almost got me with a right jab as opposed to a left hook?? But point being ... Boxer/Pit's throw punches also. Observation number two Boxer/Pit's ... spin fast also and I mean fast, real fast! If you only see your Boxer spin when they are on there on or with another Boxer buddy ... you can't really appreciate how fast they spin???

But watching the GSD/Mix, "say," OK I'm supposed to spin?? And trying to match her speed in doing that was hysterical! Kinda like watching a VW Beetle race a Porsche ... not even close! They had a great time!

So after a bit we move inside. And this is interesting ... indoor's I don't allow free roaming (exactly.) I don't use a Crate and Bella can get on the furniture at will but for the most part she stays in the living room and settle's down! Indoor's we "chill the hell out!" :)

The new dog however is constantly on the move! But much to my surprise "Bella," ignore him! So much so, that much to my surprise ... she take's her second accidentally taught "Place Spot." The coffee table! Bella step's off the Sofa and onto the coffee table and just lay's down! :)

So at this point ... I just forget about Bella and can concentrate on our A-Holeish guest! I throw a leash on him to keep him out of Bella's face! A few hour's later the neighbor's show up and find there dog's collar with the note, I attached that tell's them I have there dog. I return him and ask if they need a leash ... sigh they say no ... throw the collar back on him and drag him home ...

Sigh, I knew that dog was not leash trained but ... whatever. At any rate that is the second stray Bella and I have rescued!! And yeah she is not Rocky (my GSD) great with other dog's but I have to say ... I am impressed with her and she is more than "Good Enough," with unknown dog's! Under the right conditions!

Which for me ... apparently means, I have total control!! And you "don't" have that at a "Dog Park??" Bella did just fine but even still that lunging crap in admittedly a friendly happy fashion, was a surprise?? But still that kinda speed, in greeting is just gonna piss off the wrong dog!! IE ... you coming at me that fast?? Yeah that just has to be a threat??

And that is why Boxer's are/can be a PIA in the Doggy Care and most likely to start fight's in Dog Park's! Calm and Placid ...is just not a Boxer trait?? And now you know. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts