Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my formerly small puppy has been having a great time going to the dog park.  He spends his time equally with dogs and with humans.  

He will run off with the big dogs, see a human, pause to wiggle up to them and get some rubs, then run off again.  He always seems to find the other boxers, seemingly prefering to play with them.  He will get going so fast that when he does see a person he runs into their legs just about knocking people over.  

He also runs underneath the scattered chairs that line the outskirts of the dog park.  Someone will be sitting in a chair, Cactus will get another dog to chase him but change his mind about wanting to play, so he goes underneath the chair.  The rest of the dogs try to chase him down there and the poor human is suddenly tangled in dogs.  

I too have been just enjoying his enthusiasm.  It is hard to have a bad day when at a whistle, my dog comes over in a c shape, aiming for but sometimes missing the hand I am holding out to pet him.  He just squirms and twists and finally settles in for a good rub.  Even though he is getting petted, it makes me grin.  

I am still just smitten with this breed of dog and of course particularly my puppy.  I am lucky to have him.  I know all of you are equally enthralled with your dogs.  Share your funny and endearing stories.  I enjoy reading them!
~Anne

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Our little Henry likes to bark at the basketball.  As the ball bounces, he bounces and barks every time his feet hit the ground.  Even the neighbors enjoy watching him.  He'll take out on a tear across the yard, running as hard and fast as he can, then just stop.  Sometimes he falls over because of the momentum.  He's cute and funny and we just love him!
Z

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What an absolutely lovely story Anne, thank you so much for sharing. I am smiling right now at the thought of Cactus weaving his way under chairs & just generally being a boxer..It's funny how they recognize their own breed, huh? I've seen Samson play with many different breeds, but when it's a boxer, it's different & a joy to watch...

Samson is very attached to me, like velcro at times actually. When Marq & I got together, it didn't go well at all.. Samson grrew terribly possessive, to the point of snapping at him...I had to crate him for a long time until the 2 of them worked out their differences...Fast forward 3 years....Marq leaves to go to work & Samson will sit at the door and wait, and wait and wait.. If it's nice out, he'll sit on the front porch and wait til Marq comes home...Does he do the same when I leave? oh, you bet he does..My baby pines when we both aren't here for him...How can you not smile when you see that awesome friend waiting when you drive up, then the nub starts wagging, then the whole body.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love hearing what great stories everyone has to share. We also have a dog park that we take Soloman to and just like yours the reaction to other dogs and to boxers is night and day. Soloman loves taking off to be chased around the park. When he has had enough he will come runing into us at brake neck speeds to stop the other dogs from chasing him. I have ended up on my butt lol with dogs on top of me covered in slim and getting kisses. Think of this makes me want spring to come so we can go back out and run in the park.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is another story I can add.  I took Cactus to the park before class this morning.  As I was about to leave a man showed up with three males boxers, all fawns with various white markings.  It was awesome to see my mini fawn playing with the bug guys.  The all got into a boxing match which was cool to see.  The other boxers were 62, 55, and 95 pounds.  It was awesome to get a visual on where Cactus will be weight and height wise when he is full grown.  Although the 95 pounder looked solid, he did not look monstrous.  

Thanks Z, Instructor, and Willow for sharing your stories.  As I said I absolutely enjoy hearing other people rave about these wonderful animals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What a great story about Cactus.  Chester used to fold himself into the C and back, wiggle and worm about.  Daphne is more of a jumper (than a folder) but still loves a good rub.  She likes to get a full head of steam and then give me a body check if I happen to have my back to her and we're outside in the yard. It;s her way of getting my attention to resume our play.  They are fabulous creatures. I never had a dog as a kid since my Dad was allergic to them. I could never relate to "dog people" who kept animals inside their homes. But then I visited a friend who had a fawn female. I was there for tens days.  It was like it was her mission to win me over.  After my visit, I came home, bought a few books on Boxers, sought out a breeder and adopted Chester. That was one of the best moments of my life. I'll never be without a Boxer!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doug7 - I love it that you will never be without a boxer.  I feel the same.  Thanks for sharing your story.
~Anne

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
These are all great stories! I'm telling you....I don't think I could live without the love of a boxer!  :D  I really feel sorry for the people who just don't get boxers, and give them up.  :(  Well, I guess that's what makes the world go round. Different strokes for different folks.  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What great stories you all have..Such a good idea Anne...I loved that second story about Cactus with the 3 grown boxers..They definitely do recognize their own, huh? Like Doug, I never was a "dog" person until I bought Buck as a gift for my ex...Well, I fell hard for that little guy & was quickly converted to a dog person, more specifically, a boxer person...9 yrs later, I feel even stronger about the breed. Thank goodness I was able to "convert" Marq to my thinking & he's now just as devoted to Samson as me & never wants any other breed......

Yea, they definitely wiggle their way into our hearts.... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts