Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I've been concerned since we got Jetta that she was too skinny.  1/2 of the days her hips show, 1/2 the days they don't...but she is soo skinny, her ribs show sooo much.  Well...we found out that she had roundworms and went through 2 treatments of pyrantel (sp?) and put her on interceptor which is supposed to control roundworms.  Well, yesterday, I noticed a white 1" long worm on her poop...I had seen this same kind of worm when I first told them about jetta and how skinny she was...well, the vet that I told originally about the worm was the evil vet that was very rude and that I requested not to see again...she just kinda ignored me...well they tell me yesterday that this worm sounds more like a tapeworm fragment being only 1"...so they put her on a new med for the tapeworm...now hopefully this will gain her weight

she is 13 weeks tomorow and about 14.5-14.8 lbs...how big should she be?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about her weight as just getting rid of the worms.  Once that is done and she has a negative stool sample (I'd check once a month for a couple of months) the weight will not be a problem.  Until the worms are gone it will be hard to her to put any weight on.  Hope these meds to the trick and you won't have any more problems with her.  She may be reinfecting herself so you may have to really sterilze her environment so she doesn't keep getting them back.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Jetta, she's just having a rough go of it...The worms will definitely make it hard for her to keep weight on, once those are totally cleared up, she'll start gaining..Like Kate said, you may need to really sterlize everything to keep if from happening again...Puppies, even dogs, chew a lot of stuff on the ground, that could be the culprit...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im  hoping  the  interceptor  will  keep roundworms  at  bay. . .i have 2  research  tapeworms  now

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Aww poor Jetta. I hope she feels better soon. Once the worms clear up she should put on weight a lot faster. Good luck and hope it clears up fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts