Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 18month boxer named Nozferatu and he loves to pull. I tried prong collar with plastic cover on the edges but thats not working. I’ve also read about the gentle leader leaches. However, it does say it’s not recommend for short snout dogs. Should I still give it a try or is there any other recommendations?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The plastic cover on the prong collar defeats the purpose. The collar is only active when the dog is pulling against it. There is a right way to use these and a very wrong way so read up on it. Sprenger collars have to fitted correctly and clip on and off there is a YouTube video that explains it. Your “Dracula” will calm down as he gets older so think of this as temporary and a training aide not punishment

·
Registered
41 Posts
Boxers love to pull in general. Whatever tool you use, the most important thing is consistency. My 17 month old still loves to pull but she is getting MUCH better. We do sometimes use a front clasp harness which automatically lessens pulling but doesn't really teach her not to pull.

The main way to teach them not to pull is boring, old basics: when the dog pulls, stop moving forward. When they stop pulling, then they get to move forward. It can feel frustrating and tedious going out for a walk and barely covering any distance because the dog is pulling so much, but that's really the best way to show them what the desired behavior is.

Every time you allow them to pull and move forward, no matter the collar or leash used, they are being rewarded for pulling. Tools like prong collars, gentle leaders, front clasp harness, etc. all can work, but the biggest thing is consistently removing any reward for pulling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Boxers love to pull in general. Whatever tool you use, the most important thing is consistency. My 17 month old still loves to pull but she is getting MUCH better. We do sometimes use a front clasp harness which automatically lessens pulling but doesn't really teach her not to pull.

The main way to teach them not to pull is boring, old basics: when the dog pulls, stop moving forward. When they stop pulling, then they get to move forward. It can feel frustrating and tedious going out for a walk and barely covering any distance because the dog is pulling so much, but that's really the best way to show them what the desired behavior is.

Every time you allow them to pull and move forward, no matter the collar or leash used, they are being rewarded for pulling. Tools like prong collars, gentle leaders, front clasp harness, etc. all can work, but the biggest thing is consistently removing any reward for pulling.
I agree with Kappadappa! All of my boxers loved to pull at first.

It used to take me 20 minutes to go 20 feet with Scout until she got the program. It takes a while, but its worth it! Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a 18month boxer named Nozferatu and he loves to pull. I tried prong collar with plastic cover on the edges but thats not working. I’ve also read about the gentle leader leaches. However, it does say it’s not recommend for short snout dogs. Should I still give it a try or is there any other recommendations?
I've used various collars and harnesses including prong collars over the years on my boxers. I saw the gentle leader collar a few weeks ago on a dog trainer's youtube video and bought one. My 11 month old boxer will occasionally go nuts and start fighting with it trying to get it off. Other than the brief times of fighting with it, it works really well. It prevents most of the hard pulling. I'll have to use it for several months to see if I will stick with it, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello everyone,
Hi there, my boxer never calmed down...I know that is not what you want to hear...I used prong collar and wish I hadn't it never worked but I decided to take her places where she could release her energy off the collar off leash then she was better about being on leash shortly thereafter. I got a professional trainer but she was so energictic that didn't work. SO dog parks and safe off leash areas worked best and when I took her out locally I usually ran with her so was getting her energy out. I just think about how it would feel to wear a prong collar....uncomfortable and painful.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Oh most likely your dog is a lot like this dog?

A "Prong Collar," does not work, if you don't how to use it properly and in the beginning, myself included, most people do not know how to use one. That dog also has a, D-Clip attached to the "Prong Collar on the dead link, and then attached to his regular collar." A properly fitted "Prong Collar," can pop losse ... the D-Clip keep's the dog from escaping if it does ... Dog i101.

And a "Head Harness?" Well ... when the Military, LE, Sport Dog People and people who train and rehab "Dog's with serious dog aggression and people uh "Issues?" Then I will try a "Head Halter ,"(LOL) But yeah I don't see that happening?

In the "Real World," most people casting aspersions on "Prong Collars," have no idea what they are talking about? They don't understand the tool. And how to use it "Properly!" They don't work with dogs with uh "Serious Freaking Issues?" They put them to Sleep!

And, yes this is a "Boxer Board," so most people will have no idea what a Human Aggression Dog is? But "trust me on this," if you happen to end up with such a "Dog," and you "Chose to use Head Harness? LOL yeah "Good Luck with that! But a "Head Harness," on a dog like that ... yeah I'd pay money to see that!

Aww well one of my all time favorites ... just to see what "Pro's," can do ... meet Gus!

Now I am not saying your dog is a "Gus?" And Sean uses way to much for crap for me? But when I had serious issues with my "Foster Fail," Wl GSD ... I looked for "Trainers," that knew were they doing ... and there was not a "Head Harness Among them."

And I saw a Germanshepard that had been trained on a Head Harness. The dog's owner was happy because his dog did not Pull! We stopped and spoke (from across) the street (I trust no one) his dog never looked up? My dog behind me uh off leash, held his head up high and just stood and waited to move on. The Head Halter GSD ... never looked up? My take was some dog's don't mind it I guess and some dog's it "Crushes there soul?"

But hey it's not something Ihave to worry about ... so just saying.

And next although, I have not seen your dog? I'm gonna guess you also have a "Issue," with getting out the front door? And that would be covered here.

I will say ... that if you wanted to hire a "Trainer," to teach you how to train your dog to walk on a "Loose Leash Properly? It would take one or two session "Private Sessions," and they would teach you how to use a "Prong Collar!"
properly, cuz that is what they use. Now an acceptable "Proper Tool' is also a Slip Lead Leash (My Choice) but "good Luck Finding a Trainer to Instruct you on that?

I got more but ... I am trying to keep it short. Ask questions and welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,
Try training leashes that also loop around their nose and gently turns their head the way YOU want them to go. When they pull, guide back to you, say no....then sit. Reward with a treat.
(My first boxer was extremely stubborn and dragged me on the ground a few times before I learned this).
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Oh well ... a "Craftsman is only good as his tools." The "Boxer," is still a "Working Line," uh the "American Line," Dog's notwithstanding. The folk's that know will understand what that means. :)

If "Tools," that work for uh, "litteral" everybody else but does not work for you? Perhaps the given "tool," is not the issue? Perhaps the issue is with the "user?"

Now I will state ... I am not a "Pro," but I am not exactly JQP either. But I have dealt with and and trained "lot's of dog's. And I "walk dog's in the "Real World!" And in the "Real World," dog's get "Charged By Loose dog's"

In the "Real World ," dog's can get charged "Out of the Blue" from dog's that come out of "Nowhere?" And "mosty" people's "Natural Response?" If that happens is to "Yank There Dog Out Of The Way!"

Now that is assuming the owner does not just scream, wish there dog "Good Luck," Drop the Harness and run away a ie "Good Luck Dog?"

Now barring that ... the "Natural Response," would be to try and yank your dog out out ot the way! And if they are on a "Head Hater," you could have just crippled your dog by doing that!

But a "Halite Trained dog? Under the same circumstances? LOL I have no idea what those dog would do? And neither would a "Pro."

But give "Me," any dog that has been "properly trained," with sigh a Regular Collar, and a Flat Leash, a SLL, a Prong Collar or you know "Off Leah," no remote no E-Collar? And the same situation ... is no Big Deal! I "know what those will dog's would do!

Been there done that ... no one or dog got hurt.I know what those dogs! From a 113 Working Line GSD to a 10 Lb Pom/Chi, charged by Pit's (sigh) the exact same behaviour! Behind me dog ... "I got this," and the dog ,"Has No problem, with that."

Such behaviour is not a "Plan?" It's a happy by product of Training a Dog with a Proper Tool, and Leadership. I lead you follow dog. No one plans for there to be, I'll say charged by a loose dog. But you know "Crap Happens?"

A dog leash trained with a "proper tool," is predictable, you know or have a pretty good idea what they will do if something unexpected happens? A Dog that to be generous "Trains itself," with the use of a sigh. a Harness, Gentle Leader, a Halti etc, etc. One has no idea what that dog would do if "Crap went down?"

IE, (the dog) say's well I set the pace and I did not expect this, so now what? Well I have no idea what the dog would do? And neither do "Pro's," and that is why they don't use those ... "thing's." But if I were to guess?

I'd say that folk's that tend to use those thing's are most likely the least likely to think that "Crap Happens?" And if it does ... there first instinct , would be to try and "yank There Dog," out of harm's way by his face! Or you know a front clip and you have just turned your dog around and presented his back! Good luck with that!

Charging (loose) dog's aren't looking for you? All they see is your dog! If you can "guide your dog behind you," without hurting them? Or you know just say "Stay and step in front of them. The chances of a good outcome are much greater.

But a Halti, Gentle Leader or other such things? I have no idea what those dog's would do if crap goes down? Your most likely just better off dropping the leash and wishing your dog "Good Luck?" At least one would not add Spinal Injuries to the Vet bill?

But hey it's a "Free Country," and people are free to do as they say fit? So if folks' that thing that a "PetCo," tool with a what 2 by 2 instruction card? Can give them a well trained dog with little to no effort work's? Then go for it. But now you know ... what the difference is, just saying. :)

;

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,
Hello , i have 8 months old boxer who loves to run and pull with not end telling you i have paid expenses training courses for him and he still pull like crazy
Is very hart for me to enjoy my walk but after am been using gentle leash is different ballgame i have conyrol of him is mine save you need to check him if got to tight on him
🤞

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recommend Joel Beckman's training videos (especially leash reactivity ones) to everyone struggling with pulling. My boy is 9 months now and we've been working on our walks since day 1. He's not perfect but he's great. We can walk next to one another almost in a perfect heel. I know all this could change as he's currently in the rebellion period of his life but as long as we keep with the training and correct when he pulls we'll be fine. Watch him and let me know what you think :)

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Well people can do what they want. and I am well acquainted with "Beckman." And yes he is pretty good at what he does. But color me ... not impressed! He works those dog's in a "Bubble," and not in the "Real World!"

In the "Real World," Loose dog's can come out of nowhere? I am an "Expert," at dealing with this crap. And I can tell a dog, under my care "Stay," and I step in front of them or I can use a "Slip Leash Leash or a Prong Collar,' to guide them behind me ... I don't hurt a dog under my care, to get them out out of harm's' way.

I don't need to "Yank them by there freaking face," to get them out of "harm's way!" A head harness, could kill your dog, in your effort to protect them?

A "Slip Lead Leash, or a Prong Collar," will not! And we are talking tenths' of seconds to react! He does not mention that? His Dobbie, his yard ... and one freaking dog, that he know, that dog has "X Issues?" Good luck with that ... on a neighborhood walk, where you live.
With a "Head Harness," in a "Crap Happen situation?" The owner can do more damage to there dog then a charging dog could because, they yank there by his face to get, them out of harm's way? Good luck with that.

I have protected lot's of dog's using a SLL, from being attacked from 10 ten pound's to 113 lbs! And it's always been the same ...

I tell them "stay or I guide them behind me, and I deal with the crap!" That is it, if "Beckman ." can do the same? I have not seen tt? Just saying,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chip, man, I don't know what you expect to hear or why you took offence by me simply mentioning another trainer. You're an expert? Well done. Forums are used for sharing opinions and tips. The OP wanted opinion and tips and I shared a successful trainer that I follow and that helped me a lot. Almost everything you said about him is wrong but I will not defend him, this is not the place or the time. I'm not here to defend Joel Beckman.

One last thing. The way you type makes it almost impossible to read the whole message. Good luck in the future and accept more positivity into your life 🤘

·
Registered
41 Posts
I watched Joel Beckman's videos for a while and thought they were ok but I ultimately found him off -putting and weirdly defensive. Especially when he started going into detail about how he'd like to pepper spray people, and telling his fans how to yell at people who disagree with his methods. Some folks might find this funny or charming but I found it distasteful.

Take what you can from his techniques, but he's a bit too much for my taste.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Hello everyone,
Hello everyone,
Does he heel some of the time? To get a focused heel you can put a treat bag around your neck, or in a left shirt pocket. Give a treat every minute or so if he's staying by your side. Stop and praise him. You should get him used to stopping, and he'll learn to keep an eye on your chest, not looking at what's going on ahead. Later use his name, and when he focuses on you treat him. It breaks their focus on something they want to pull to, and back on you/ You can use his food to (morning) for training.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts