Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fine print on the insert that came with the Nylabone Edible Chew that I picked up for Atticus today says "not recommended for some puppies.  Check with your veterinarian..."  Atticus went nutso over it, but I took it away as soon as I read that.  Now he's moping around looking for it.  Does anyone know if these things are okay for a 3-month old Boxer or not?

AnnA

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have never heard that so i am not sure, i have only heard they (any dog) shouldnt be given raw hide b/c it is very hard to digest and can sit in there intestines and cause a blockage since some dogs cant digest them, my dogs love the nyla bones..i would just call your vet and ask someone there if its ok.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
We have used the edible (and fully digestible) chews...the only concern I have is keeping an eye on how fast they go through it...and whether or not it gums up in the roof of their mouth!  I ust keep an eye on it...let me know if you hear anything different!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I use and recommend the NylaBone natural edibles.  However, if your still concerned as to whether you pup should have it then your best bet is to call the vet and ask.  One of the Boxer pups I'm training's dad is a vet tech for the military.  He asked the vet about it and said that so long as the pup is eating, drinking, and relieving itself normally then it shouldn't be a problem.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel loves them, they are the best thing that I have found to use for diverting "bad chewing" which was a problem when we brought her home. Samson doesn't really care for them much, but will occasionally pick one up and knaw for a minute or two..I don't see any problems, you just have to monitor them and make sure they don't try and eat through it too fast. That could be why there is a warning on the package.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola loves them, but I only give it to her when I can watch her with it and I usually throw it away when it's down the the knucles.  I gave her one when she was a month or two old and she threw it up, so I didn't start giving them to her again until she was 5 months.  Just a suggestion!  I'd check with your vet though!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I bought Tyson one as well, but he does not like it all.  He looked at it and walked away.  I gave him a "pig ear" thingy and he loved it.  Then the people at Petco said they are not good for that fact that they can be chewed into little pieces and the puppy can choke on it.  I have to find him something else to chew on that he will like.  Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I can't think of the treat bones I was giving Odin but they had marrow in the middle and I think it was rolled rawhide... OMG he'd go at it... but then he'd flat the big piece out and try and swallow it... after catching it halfway down his throat choking on it... I don't by him those anymore!!!

Instead we recently bought the "Dentley's Chewrite 8" Compressed Rawhide Bones". He only gets it while supervised and for 15 to 20 mins a day... he hates that but... gawd if we let him just HAVE it he'd stay in the same spot for 13hrs till it's gone! LOL

Starting on a new one since Nikki ran off with his... OMG I was like... wow honey Odin's sharing with Nikki... lol then he started barking at her and she was walking off with this BIG thing in her mouth... lol that's why I have pics (if you guys were wondering lol)

Nikki with the stolen goods

1 - 9 of 9 Posts