Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was debating, and weighing the options out for Jeter, to attend some OB classes. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Its like 1 class a week for 6 weeks. Beneficial to his upbringing? Worth it? Better than what I can provided to teach him on my own?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I totally think it's good for you and for your pup..The socialization is really important...Once you do a puppy class, look into the next one up as well...Check out the classes before hand, watch the trainer as far as the way they interact with the class, etc..That will tell you if you want to enroll or not...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I definitely will second what Willow just said. It's great for the socialization and the bonding between you and Jeter.  :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
It is totally worth it. We are kicking ourselves in the rear-end right now that we couldn't find a class for Phoenix when she was younger. (there is only one guy that does it around where I am) Now she is too "old" to take the classes.
So I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
IMO it is not always necessary but it can be helpful with socialization and basic commands. The only downfall that im worried about is the puppy being distracted by all the other puppies around when the class starts.
I start 'obedience' next week with Tyson.. Very excited because they said there is going to be another boxer baby in the class!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I think Obedience training is totally worth it - it's good for the dog AND you ... you bond, they accept you as your leader, the dogs socialize, etc., etc. ... I am lucky I have a really good training facility near me - they run all sorts of classes from puppy to agility to the one we are in now called "Out and About" where we go to locations to see how your dog does in the real world. We are going to a minor league baseball game on Saturday - they are having a "Bark Fest" where you can bring your doggie in ... should be fun.  The trainers help us correct behavior in the real world, not just class.
I say do it!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
We did a puppy training calls with Maple, and in terms of learning new commands it wasn't that great she already new the ones he wanted to teach us, but the socialization is the main reason I wanted her to do it and I'm glad we did, because she gets very easily distracted and that put her in an environment with tons of distractions and gave us a chance to work on that with her.  And of course I can't provide socialization for her at home no matter how well I can train her to sit and what not :)  And next week we are going to sign her up for a basic obedience class, I want to get her involved in that before the teen rebellion sets in.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I plan to do another class with Kiah even though she has gone to the basic and the intermediate last spring and summer.  I feel like it is good refresher for both of us and helps to remind me to practice with her.  I also plan to take Keegan to a class.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that was alot of good info. Thanks alot! I think I will try to look around and see what is offered in and around my community. I too am afraid of him being easily disctracted by the others and then not wanting to focus. But we will see. :eek: Anyways, nice to read everyones opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I wrote an email to them, and yes you can start as long as your puppy has started its vaccinations, and you provided paperwork for that. So I beleive Jeter and I are in for some schooling. :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Older pups can learn to but they tend to be more stubborn. The first thing we worked on and continue every single week is attention, reward for attention. This will carry not only to your obedience class with alot of doggy distraction but to the real world where everything is a distraction.  In my experience the class teaches you how to train your dog, not so much actual dog training, though it does set an hour or so aside every week to dedicate to it. For the most part though the training is done in short 5-15 minute sessions throughout your day all week long.  Some of the best times I find are before meals and after walks, when they are tired and hungry they tend to listen more and appreciate the reward.  We're in basic manners but I absolutely plan to go the next step and take the next class and then beyond.  I hope to take the CGC test at some point and the facility we go to is now building an agility course so we may go there as well if nothing more than to stimulate the pups mind.  Training will tire your pup mentally as well and he's less apt to get bored and then less apt to cause trouble.  Note I said less apt to cause he's a boxer so there's no avoiding some amount of mischief.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
And on the other end of the spectrum, you can teach an older dog new tricks, or obedience :) One of the conditions when I adopted Samson at 6 yrs was that we attend obedience classes(which I would have done anyways)..He did really well especially considering that the first couple classes i thought he was going to eat up the little ankle biters in our class :lol: Puppy classes are generally for socialization, so after completion it's still good to enroll in a basic obedience class and perhaps go on for a CGC :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yah, I just mainly want him to be good around other animals and people. I want him to feel as if I am his owner, master. Respect me, and listen. I know they are pups so I cant expect a seeing eye dog after 6 classes, but I want a good base to begin learning and understanding behavior, and commands.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts