Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just had a few questions about taking my dog to obedience school. as of right now, I don't have a job, and when I get one, It will more likely than not be $7.00 an hour. not exactly loaded.  Is i t bad that I can't take her to school now? and how effective is it?

that is to say, will she be totally outragous and hyper if she doesn't get proper training? I've been searching on the internet and through books and have been training her for the almost 2 months that I've had her. she's almost potty trained. the only time she really goes in the house is when no one is keeping an eye on her. other-wise, she knows sit, stay, down, no, ect. the simple things. she has a few problems with jumping on people, and coming when I call her. I think she knows I'm saying her name and everything, but she ignores me unless she knows I have food.

It's really bad when I take her outside to go potty. Our yard is not completely fenced in, and if I'm standing in the wrong place she darts to the front and doesn't neccisarily run from me, but avoids my grasp. I'm horribly worried that she will run in the street and I'll lose her. so any tips on getting her to come when I call would be great as well.

so if I took her to school when she was a couple months older would if not be as effective? thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Sounds liek yu are doing a pretty good job! As for jumping.........my girl is almost 2 and she isnt that big of a jumper but she still does it and Ive had to put my foot down due to me being HUGE el prego lol But keep her leash on at all times in the house and when she jumps either turn around and ingnore her (if its jumping on you) and just simply step on the leash so she cant jump when its on other people! Coming when called was a hard one for us(she still doesnt do it 100%) but get a long leash I think the are about 25 feet and keep it on her while outside, call her, if she comes praise her tons and if she doesnt just grab the leash and guide her to you! Also IMHO DO NOT chase her if she runs! She will just think its a game and it will never stop. What I did was get Roxys attention and run the other way so she will chase YOU!!! Well thats all I have lol

PS Remember she is still a puppy and Boxers tend to stay pups for awhile! AFter my girls first bday she calmed down quite a bit and has calmed down since then! She approaching her second bday!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Nice advice from RoxyGirl.  You need to go buy the book "Mother Knows Best" by Carole Benjamin.  It is the best book for puppy owners that I know of.  The obedience class is good, but don't waste your money on one at Petsmart, they are not worth a dime.  You can do it on your own, if you study and follow the book.

The most important thing is getting some socialization with dogs that you know are friendly towards other dogs.  Tell her she can say "hi" and keep your LEASH LOOSE!! Get her together with some friends dogs you know and let her have a sniff and keep the greetings short and don't allow the play banter to happen.  Also, you can do a lot of training and socializing by taking her lots of places in public, parks, sidewalks, out front of Home Depots, etc, etc.  I work alot on my dogs NOT meeting people and other dogs and learning to mellow out with distractions like bicycles, strollers etc.  I put them on a nice SIT staying by their side and keeping plenty of distance between them and the distractions.  I also admit that Boxers are big jumpers and my 2 1/2 year old still does it and my puppy is all over the place too.  I make her do a sit and mellow and not meeting people on the street if she is bouncing around and if she calms she may say hi.  Never, ever call come unless you can inforce the recall by leash.  It needs to happen every time, one way or another, as your dogs life may one day depend on it.  Don't let that puppy off leash in the yard.  The leash is your way of getting her to connect with you but only use it LOOSELY, never tight.

Good luck with your pup, sounds like you are on the right track.

Nano

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Going to obedience school is not necessary.  Sounds like you're doing great training at home.  My Henry doesn't come when I call either, so we're gonna have to work on that.  Probably the best way is to always have a little treat of some sort.  Call the pup's name, say come, and wave the treat around so she can see  you have it.  Eventually the pup should get used to the idea that coming to you means treats and praise.  I hope that works, cause that's what I'm going to do. :wink:
Good luck,
Zhanna

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A boxer is never too old to learn. I adopted Samson from a boxer rescue at the age of 6. One of the contract points was that he had to go to obedience school. I would have done so anyways, but the point is, yes you can wait..Sounds like you are working very hard with her, so you have a head start....

Socialization with people is wonderful and Nano had some great ideas ( I hadn't even thought of these)...Boxers are smart and they need a reason to do something, so you have to work with that. Samson also doesn't always come when I call, but always does when Marq whistles, so perhaps try getting a whistle and teaching her to come to that. I used to vary what I was teaching as mine seemed to get bored...Do a command maybe 3 times, then move on to another, then go back to the first....

Hope we gave you some good info and pls let us know what works...When you are ready for a class, check your boxer club to see what's available also the Akc. I got a lot of trainers names thru there, but unfortunately they are way too far away from me.....I hate being in the sticks...Lol, just joking

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I forgot to add that what ever you do, do not use a flexi-leash with your dog. The flexi only teaches your dog to pull and they learn nothing by it, only tension is taught and that is not a good thing.   Always use a regular 6 foot lead and a long one for distance training and to use on your walks when you are safe from traffic and so forth, and always keep that leash loose.

Nano

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the adivce! I've been tr7ying to socialize her, as much as possible anyways. A friend got a boxer puppy the same day I did, so we let then run around together and play fight and everything. it's a good way for her to get her energy out and what not. However, the other day we were walking around the neighborhood and started talking to one of the neighbors. she also had a boxer puppy, although it was a bit older than crispen. they didn't get along too well. crispen's fur was sticking up and she started growling after a while. luckily their was a fence between the two.

we're doing better with training today accually. I guess if I don't go out tonight we'll work on coming.. I've noticed that she comes most of the time when I'm in the house, but not at all when we're outside. it's a bit frustrating. anyways, thanks for the tips. I'll let you know what works out.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Keep your greetings short between dogs and end with a good note on them.  Make sure you and your dog know the dog first.  Don't feel pressured to meet everyone's dog. My dogs do not meet everybody and everything. (I would say they in fact only meet and greet about 20% of the other beings we pass). In fact it is good practice and ettiquette for them to learn that they are not to meet and greet until given the permission to do so.  That includes people and dogs. This is helping establish to them that you are the leader of your pack and permission is granted by you and not them.  The command I use is "say Hi" with my hand giving a forward motion in front of my dogs nose.

Dogs do not like all dogs they meet, just like people don't like all people they meet. A dog rushing up to your dog is considered rude behavior between dogs.  Give them some space to sniff each others scent in the air before rushing into any greetings.    Our thinking that dogs just all ought to get along together is not a canine philosiphy, it is man's idea.  I have a male boxer right now that is 2 1/2 years old and he doesn't care to have other dogs sticking their nose in his space.  He just doesn't care for it and can't handle it.  That is o.k.  It is just his personality, no fault of not enough socialization or whatever. He is can eventually handle most others (dogs) within a 6 foot space of him given the time to process it and being put on a "settle" command.  He likes all people, but needs time to settle down for some of those too.  I don't like most people sticking their nose in my business either.  I am kind of an introvert.

Best of luck

Nano

Nano

·
Registered
162 Posts
We did the PetSmart obedience class - I agree a waste of money.  I am putting Chloe in a large training center (they do K-9 dogs and a whole bunch of compeition training and one-on-one training for dogs with issues) - it is pretty pricey - $175 for 6-week class.  However, they offer "wrok-study" which is you come in an answer phones, clean-up etc. and they give you a class for free - maybe the centers in your area offer something similiar?

The reason Chloe is going back to to help us with the "problem stuff" - like her increasing fears when outside the house (box trucks, men, other people on bikes, motorcycles, .....) and her increasingly poor behavior in the house (stealing things and running from us, jumping up on my youngest son, biting the kids clothes and tearing them).  It really is for us to learn how to deal with these things.   Chloe is 9 months old and I have a hard time physically being able to control her when she gets all spastic; so DH and I figured we needed some outside help.  

Chloe does tricks - sits and waits to be fed, only eats her food once given the command to do so, she will run with me on my bike, she walks fine on a leash, she shakes, barks on command, sits, stays, lays down, fetches, catches, rolls over.  So I really think obediance is needed when there is a behavior problem the owner needs help with.  Don't feel bad about it :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ssimmons99\";p=\"3585 said:
We did the PetSmart obedience class - I agree a waste of money.  I am putting Chloe in a large training center (they do K-9 dogs and a whole bunch of compeition training and one-on-one training for dogs with issues) - it is pretty pricey - $175 for 6-week class.  However, they offer "wrok-study" which is you come in an answer phones, clean-up etc. and they give you a class for free - maybe the centers in your area offer something similiar?

The reason Chloe is going back to to help us with the "problem stuff" - like her increasing fears when outside the house (box trucks, men, other people on bikes, motorcycles, .....) and her increasingly poor behavior in the house (stealing things and running from us, jumping up on my youngest son, biting the kids clothes and tearing them).  It really is for us to learn how to deal with these things.   Chloe is 9 months old and I have a hard time physically being able to control her when she gets all spastic; so DH and I figured we needed some outside help.  

Chloe does tricks - sits and waits to be fed, only eats her food once given the command to do so, she will run with me on my bike, she walks fine on a leash, she shakes, barks on command, sits, stays, lays down, fetches, catches, rolls over.  So I really think obediance is needed when there is a behavior problem the owner needs help with.  Don't feel bad about it :wink:
something like that would be great for me. I'm getting an interview next week, and hopefully I'll get the job. after I take care of vet bills, and some money I owe my older brother $175 doesn't seem too bad.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I do a lot of training of people on behalf of their dogs.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Excellent post Nano! I agree with everything you just wrote 100%.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts